Fear of the Car Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of the Car Computer

If you haven't noticed, in the last few days it seems that fear of hacking the car's computer is all the rage. Here are a few of the articles published.

NYTime's Carsí Computer Systems Called at Risk to Hackers

Popular Science's Proof-of-Concept CarShark Software Hacks Car Computers, Shutting Down Brakes, Engines, and More

And today, Engadget's Hackers can remotely disable your car's brakes, create sensationalist headlines
    Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
    • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
    • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
    • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
    • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

love this line from engadgets article

The solution, of course, is to prevent physical access. So, if you see a hacker hanging around in your car looking all shady, or a laptop computer sitting in the footwell that totally wasn't there before, well, you know who to call.
    ha ha ha
    ---------
    I'll do the bumbling, and i'll be the idiot.
    if you've got a "stupid" question, search for some of mine!

Comment

i really don't see this as a major issue currently-- for most car systems, this hack still requires physical access to the obd2 port, which is no better then what i can screw up on a car of any year, make, and model with a wire cutters, and a dive underneath...

but i think that it is a excellent reason why car companies shouldn't make networked cars...
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

"...Remote Shutdown is available on 14 GM models...."
        - on star

wooo go onstar! make the dream alive

Comment

I always wonder about onstar; what's to stop a malicious hacker from doing anything onStar car? I mean, all it might take is one factorisation of one large number, and perhaps you'll be able to unlock every GM car in existence?

Gary (-;
          OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
          OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
          mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

i guess just because GM had a lot of money once, so they probably paid someone pretty well to make sure that wouldn't happen.

But who knows, maybe they used a single equals sign somewhere.

Comment

in other news cars can be stolen.. and it could be happening in YOUR area! how to tell if your car has been stolen at 11.
              ---------

Comment

isn't onstar based on regular cell phone data packets? seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do a mitm or packet replay attack.
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by chunkyks View Post
                  I always wonder about onstar; what's to stop a malicious hacker from doing anything onStar car? I mean, all it might take is one factorisation of one large number, and perhaps you'll be able to unlock every GM car in existence?

Gary (-;
                  Hacker Disables More Than 100 Cars Remotely
                  website

Comment

Aren't we all so lucky that terrorists can't afford computers!!
                    But it is a pity that communists now can.

Man - gotta love the sensationalism. To think they are only a decade behind....

Comment

Whenever these are data packets being sent across airwaves/landlines you will always have to deal with hackers.

phone, net and associated routers, bluetooth, ATMs << have fun!

FUD always occurs with new technology especially when the technology is so advanced that people have no real clue of what is going on.

Don't worry, your TV is going to be next

What OS does onstar run on?

Comment

Not really a "hacker" as a mad ex employee though.
                        No skills needed these days to get a title
                        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by chronoglass View Post
                          Not really a "hacker" as a mad ex employee though.
                          No skills needed these days to get a title
                          how many pages of smileys did you go through to find that? lol

Comment

Cars, internet and hackers

Onstar is basically a microprocessor with custom software connected to the car's OBDII computer using satellite and cellphone technology. Each car has a phone number, EIN and IP address. It is no more sophisicated than a pc with the same configuration. Because Onstar uses the same computer system in all vehicles, it would, in theory, be easier to hack into an onstar equiped car than one with a PC.

As with any new technology, the media has to blow everything out of porporation. Can a car be hacked? Yes it can and probably will, however, it is no cause for alarm.

Just my 2 cents worth.
                            DNR

Comment

So someone from across the world can disable your brakes or activate your airbags at any time...and thats not a cause for alarm?
                              openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                              - Always Recruiting Developers -
                              Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X