Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFKfest 2010 - Marie-Jessique Ford F150

Embed this video

Rob Wray from mp3Car takes a look inside Marie-Jessique Gonzalez's Ford F150, the winner of AFK Fest 2010 best in show award.

This truck is decked out with redundant power systems. In the event one battery fails, one of two other batteries will support the on board electronics.
    Marie also has a remote video system with her web cam enabling her to pull up her dash camera display from home.

The next stage in the build for Marie is to install a servo motor on the dash cam to enable her to pan 360 degrees for remote video access.

Nice stuff!

I'm jealous as heck of all of the space you have to do things!

Some of us with tiny little cars just can't do this stuff.
    2003 Lexus SC430 - Black with Ecru. VaisTech & NavTool with Centrafuse integrated into factory nav screen (hands-free Bluetooth, Voice Command, mp3's, videos, HD Radio, Sirius Sat. radio, DVD, Internet, & digital gauges (via OBD-II)), & LuxLink module.

Comment

Then buy a bigger car! LOL.

Only thing is it looks so cluttered, like too busy. It is cool though, I just think it should be more OEM looking. I adore the engine bay though. I am praying I can get 2 batteries into mine.

Did she have to upgrade the alternator?
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
        Then buy a bigger car! LOL.

Only thing is it looks so cluttered, like too busy. It is cool though, I just think it should be more OEM looking. I adore the engine bay though. I am praying I can get 2 batteries into mine.

Did she have to upgrade the alternator?
        Saw it at the show. It is messy, but theres a lot of cool stuff in there. The messyness is also only temporary. They're fabricating some stuff.

They did upgrade the alternator too.

What's also cool about this is that they've been working with car computers since 1992!
        My Nearly Complete Car:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
        http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
        http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Wow, that is impressive. Cant wait to see how it looks when they make it all look together. Are they on the forums? I would like to pick their brains on the battery setup.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Wow, that is impressive. Cant wait to see how it looks when they make it all look together. Are they on the forums? I would like to pick their brains on the battery setup.
            They are on the forums, but I forget their usernames are.

Make a forum post about your battery setup though, that's what forums are for. OldSpark is the electrical genius around here, he'll pick up on the thread right away.
            My Nearly Complete Car:

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)

Comment

Her name is Sailong on the forum. And yes, its intentionally busy. Based on the outcome of AFKFest, the radical installs are the ones that get big attention.
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                Based on the outcome of AFKFest, the radical installs are the ones that get big attention.
                What did you expect? haha
                My Nearly Complete Car:

Comment

Hi all...

I have not started a workblog, despite having taken many pictures of the process. Paul F is right, it is still an ongoing project I also intend on "toning down" a little by hiding some of the stuff. But I am yet to install a lot actuators and servos.

I didnt get to show off the computer as much as I wanted; I am running things like voice recognition and my pride & joy is the remote control via phone & web.

The power issues are not that difficult to tackle.....I got a 250 amp alternator, a bunch of schottsky diodes and a power relay to condition 3 batteries, and I can go home and sleep while leaving the system on. As long as I dont go and dissapear for a week, I'll have power in the truck when I come back.

My thing is hardware and fabrication, and Margret is about the software...although Im enjoyng programming the servo controllers.
                  The low budget model ! 2005 F-150
                  -
                  • -Custom fiberglass console, CB,Interfaced OBDII
                  • -In-dash multimedia w/ bluetooth
                  • -Piconet PAN & Wifi Edge internet
                  • -Advantech relay board, Pololu microcontrollers w/servos
                  • -Embedded Axim palmtop w/backup GPS

Comment

Originally posted by SaiLong View Post
                    Hi all...

I have not started a workblog, despite having taken many pictures of the process. Paul F is right, it is still an ongoing project I also intend on "toning down" a little by hiding some of the stuff. But I am yet to install a lot actuators and servos.

I didnt get to show off the computer as much as I wanted; I am running things like voice recognition and my pride & joy is the remote control via phone & web.

The power issues are not that difficult to tackle.....I got a 250 amp alternator, a bunch of schottsky diodes and a power relay to condition 3 batteries, and I can go home and sleep while leaving the system on. As long as I dont go and dissapear for a week, I'll have power in the truck when I come back.

My thing is hardware and fabrication, and Margret is about the software...although Im enjoyng programming the servo controllers.
                    Ive always been very picky with things being to busy, I try to do everything in a very OEM and or minimilistic way. So of course seeing this was cool but also shocking to me.

I was planning on using hybrid sleep with Win 7. I wanted to install a 260amp alternator, and 2 batteries. What do the diodes do?

My install is similar to yours that we are trying to get a lot of stuff into our installs. i was going to install 7 computers, but I am researching the new N-Computing U170. If these units work, then I can get the setup from 7 PC units, down to 2 high powered unit and then 5 U170 units. This will drop my power use from 750 watts on the rear setup, down to 250 watts.

Im hoping someday I will finish, then I can go to AKFest and show off my ride.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Ive always been very picky with things being to busy, I try to do everything in a very OEM and or minimilistic way. So of course seeing this was cool but also shocking to me.

I was planning on using hybrid sleep with Win 7. I wanted to install a 260amp alternator, and 2 batteries. What do the diodes do?

My install is similar to yours that we are trying to get a lot of stuff into our installs. i was going to install 7 computers, but I am researching the new N-Computing U170. If these units work, then I can get the setup from 7 PC units, down to 2 high powered unit and then 5 U170 units. This will drop my power use from 750 watts on the rear setup, down to 250 watts.

Im hoping someday I will finish, then I can go to AKFest and show off my ride.
                      Just take it to afkfest and finish it there. That's what a few people did.
                      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

AFKfest isn't just about showing off your ride :P Come on down and show us your progress, or even don't show anything at all... just come to say hi and see other peoples installs and hang out.
                        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                        RevFE
                        My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                          Just take it to afkfest and finish it there. That's what a few people did.
                          LOL, I use to do that when we had the Car PC meets and I always felt like [email protected] afterwards. In fact it was almost border line jealousy. i vowed never to do that again.

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                          AFKfest isn't just about showing off your ride :P Come on down and show us your progress, or even don't show anything at all... just come to say hi and see other peoples installs and hang out.
                          Yea, if my car isnt there, then it would be cool to go. I wouldnt be able to compare, lol.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

It's a good place to get a lot of ideas. What you find out is there are lots of people in the same position as you - finished, not finished, complete disaster, whatever.

It's also a good place for inspiration. I was definitely inspired by stuff I saw and heard about.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Wow, I like it a lot!! Awesome...As you can see on my Sequoia, I don't care much for OEM looks, unless the oem design is awesome to start with, or your modding a lease, I don't care much for OEMness.

I like it. Please, start a worklog. How does the camera setup work? Model, etc.? Do you use ORB to control it from home, or proprietary software, or you or (edit: Margret! sorry) wrote your own software?

Kudos on the install.
                              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                              X