Mp3Car High Brightness Monitor Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mp3Car High Brightness Monitor Comparison

From left to right: Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T, Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T-HB-RV, Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T-5HB, Inelmatic XF700HB-USVA2.

The two new Lilliput high brightness models are noticeably brighter in all lighting conditions than the standard Lilliput 669. Reflection on the standard Lilliput 669 is slightly higher. The new Lilliput models offer nice improvements over the standard Lilliput 669 for their respective prices. The Inelmatic monitor is noticeably brighter than all compared monitors in all lighting conditions. Contrast appears better and colors are noticeably more vivid with the Inelmatic. The Inelmatic also benefits from increased vibration, shock, and operating environment specs.

In addition to brightness differences, The Lilliput 5HB model features a 5-wire resistive touch panel that assures more precise touch control. The HB-RV model uses the standard 4-wire resistive touch panel, but includes an exposed wire for auto-switching to a backup camera. The 5HB model has a slightly different touch panel design that doesn’t allow it to fit in our double din frame. The HB-RV model does fit in our double din frame and can be fabricated into any one of our direct fit dash kits.

Comparison with iPhone
    Have a product you would like to sell on the mp3Car Store? PM me for more information.

Have a car computer question? Ask me by emailing the store.

One question, can we add the transflective model to the mix? It would be nice to see the difference and to make sure the premium is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by ioi8 View Post
      one question, can we add the transflective model to the mix? It would be nice to see the difference and to make sure the premium is worth it.
      +1
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

The Inelmatic is not transflective? Why it's so ridiculously expensive then?

Comment

Originally posted by maxthebuilder View Post
          Did you not even read the review? Apparently it's ruggedized/industrialized. Able to withstand some abuse, actually built for industrial applications like CarPCs. Most everything that's industrial grade or ruggedized is expensive... It also sounds like they used a better panel and/or controller to get better color/viewing angle/contrast.

C'mon meow.
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

yes the intelmatic is definitely better equipped to handle being in the car. In my review i did some months ago the first thing i mentioned was the feel of the monitor. Its very heavy and solid and you can tell right away its built to withstand abuse.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

So, if they put a transflective screen there it would be over $1000. I'd like to meet a person who'll pay this kind of money.

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
              Did you not even read the review? Apparently it's ruggedized/industrialized. Able to withstand some abuse, actually built for industrial applications like CarPCs. Most everything that's industrial grade or ruggedized is expensive... It also sounds like they used a better panel and/or controller to get better color/viewing angle/contrast.

C'mon meow.

Comment

According to EVERY Intelmatic Ad:

Inelmatic XF700HB-USVA2 7" Transflective Industrial Touchscreen Monitor LED backlight Direct Sunlight Version

The Inelmatic Industrial Grade Sunlight Readable VGA 7" Touch Screen Monitor is a perfect fit in applications where durability and sunlight readability are of paramount importance. Applications include personal vehicles, public transportation vehicles (buses, taxis, public fleet), public service vehicles (police, fire, ambulance, and other public fleet) and any other situation where visual quality, and touch screen performance are required.

This monitor is designed for direct sunlight or strong ambient light. The XF700 is LED backlight, optically bonded, and has very high brightness (600nits).
                My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Originally posted by maxthebuilder View Post
                  It's transflective, plus optically bonded, otherwise the optical performance couldn't be so high.

Comment

mo-co-so is doing the 669 with both a Transflective and Optically Bonded options.
                    http://www.mo-co-so.com/Lilliput-669...669-hb-rci.htm
                    You can add the TFE/Bonded options on the right via the drop down box.
                    We also have a couple of good comparison pics here
                    http://www.mo-co-so.com/7-Transflect...-669-tfe-3.htm

Comment

I liked the comparison with the iPhone. Good screen, widely available, and the Inelmatic is looking good. Maybe I should wait for some hopefully upcoming rebates...

I really want to like mo-co-so's, but I really don't rate lilliputs at all. I think the Xenarcs are slightly better built. Why everbody choses the lilliput to mod over others I don't know, must be commercial reasons surely.
                      Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I still have to use this in the car, but here it is outside in the sun:

I did stick it in the car to see if the sun reflections would blind me and it is a fair bit better than my non transflective Xenarc, but I think it will still wash out.

It looks like the Inelmatic has a glare finish like the laptop in the above photo. It should make it easier to read in the sun providing objects in front of it (ie, you, passenger) aren't directly illuminated by the sun and reflecting back in the screen.

A direct reflection of the sun might be a bit less painful on the anti-glare transflective monitors, but readability might be a bit lower.

With the current technology I don't think there will be a "best of both worlds" monitor. Nothing will be readable when reflecting the sun into your eyes and touch-screens just make it even worse.

In the end it comes down to what you prefer to look at, I don't think there is a clear winner.

Best performance will probably be achieved with a non touch-screen display. Or don't but a car with a sunroof

Comment

What laptop is that? Good outdoor screen. Now that screen on the right, which one is that?

Hard to tell from the pictures really, the focus does not seem right, or maybe it's the sharpness.

The best comparisons I think can only be made with video. I don't know why it's so hard to capture what we're saying with just pictures, but thanks for trying anyway, I can see exactly what you mean (I think). :-)

Comment

Photobucket must have resized it, I took it with my DSLR.

The laptop is just a run of the mill $700 Acer laptop. Nothing special, uses the same Crystalbrite screen they use on most of their laptops.

The small screen is a mocoso transflective lilliput.

The screen is definately an upgrade from my old untreated Xenarc and seems much better made. It doesn't blind me when the sun is reflected into my eye. Before I bought it I was asking for pictures of the sun reflected in it but nobody seemed to quite understand what I wanted. You can't read it in those conditions, but unlike the Xenarc it isn't like a mirror. It does wash out in a purple haze, but it isn't dangerous when the sun bounces off and hits your eyes.

The control board is actually screwed into the bracket and not stuck on with double sided tape like the Xenarc was and the all-in-one cable is nice too.

What I would really like to see is an LCD installed in an aluminium frame that protects the PCB and provides some fastening tabs on the side. I think there were some pics of something like that in another recent thread.

Is ultimate sunlight use even possible? I sat in a new Acura recently and the screen washed out when the sun hit it. Acura's fix was a matte black piece of cloth for in front of the screen to reduce reflections.

We're not going to see optimal clarity with resistive touch panels. The conductive layers, the gap between the sheets (that can't be optically bonded).. not gonna happen. This is probably why companies like Audi skip the touch-screen part altogether (I think..)

Bottom line: While the transflective upgrades are worth it over the base monitors, the ultimate solution will end up being a "built from the ground up" solution, right down to the LCD layer in the panel. Modifying off the shelf products won't get you that far, at least not yet.

Here's a direct, "sun reflected in screen" shot that nobody else has been able to provide:
                            Note that because the sun is quite small as reflected in the screen, it is not reflected in the laptop screen, so this isn't intended to be a "comparison" shot.

The first shot was looking at the screen in outdoor ambient light with the sun behind the camera but not directly reflected towards the camera lens

The second shot was looking at the screen in outdoor light with the sun above and behind the camera, reflected directly towards the camera lens. This is a condition not normally encountered in a car, but in convertibles or cars with large sunroofs, i is quite possible for this to happen.

Comment

Thanks. Big mistake I did was to buy expensive AG shields for my tablet and iPad. I think they look better without them, the AG really diffuses the sun light all over the screen...does not look good.

I'm looking everywhere for a good screen.

I guy I know is into shooting HD movies with his DSLR commercially. He was looking into a well built outdoor screen, rugged. He is looking into Marshalls, but not the transflective ones at first - those can be very expensive. He bought a box where he'll put the laptop in protected from the sun just to make sure the filming was good, so that is not essential. It's just for the focus.

SO besides $2K Marshalls, he is considering something like this:

A Transflective Marshall can go easily 2K even used, but this one looks good to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1270wt_1139

Comment

Working...
                              X