Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Fiesta - iPad in dash - SEMA 2010

Embed this video

Sean Clark, from mp3Car, takes a look at the 2011 Ford Fiesta at the Ford booth at SEMA 2010 before the show starts. We find an iPad embedded in the dash, relocated HVAC controls, and relocated USB, AUX, and DC output jacks.

This Fiesta also sports custom paint, tires, and some beautiful fabrication work, housing 12 inch subs and dual amplifiers.

Mp3Car caught up with the car designer later to talk about some of the motivation behind the project and everything that went into the car. Stay tuned for more.

Honestly, as stated in the other SEMA thread, the pictures look more like it was just wedged in there and supported by the shifter & console rather than with "beautiful fabrication work". Is that the case? Is it the rest of the install that has significant fab work but not the Ipad or an I missing something here in the Pic?
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

We have another video soon where we have the designer explain. But it's not wedged in, it's actually a fabricated dash specifically for the iPad.

Comment

Id rather have more info on the Lincoln...
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I wish I could oblige but the owner was MIA all 3 days.

Comment

Ah, okay, thanks for trying!

Let's see the Fiesta video then.

Comment

Sure thing, I'm on a plane now but I'll have that up tomorrow.

Comment

Okay here's a picture of the original dash for reference:

Crazy angles all around and pretty tight even for a 7" Xenarc...

But I would move the iPad to where the tiny screen is, with another enclosure, and move the tiny screen (kind of useless apparently) to where the iPad is now.

Comment

Here's some shot's of a Lincoln (not sure it's THE Lincoln)...paper IPads and all. Sadly, just cardboard cutouts.
                  Attached Files

Comment

i guess there was a lot of fab-work done to that fiesta...

but on that note, is it just me or are cars getting uglier?( inside and outside) it might just be the hard plastic edges cutting into my personality..
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Automotive styling is REALLY subjective. It's very much an expression of the creator's personal artistic vision. I'm sure generational fashions play a role too. I've been enjoying custom cars since I was a kid (MANY years ago). I was born a little late for fins, but got my driver's license at just about the peak of the muscle car era. For me, the highlight of the show (so far) has been this classic Ed Roth design (image 1, side by side small block chevy power!).

The materials and finishes available today are light years beyond anything I had available in the 70s, and I saw some more amazing technology in the paint and body sections today.

I guess it just boild down "to each his own".

VegasGuy

(Here's some more SEMA goodness)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, I'd love to see you driving the Mysterion...LOL

Not a big fan of those rubber band tires on oversized wheels. Too pimp.

That Lincoln btw is the wrong one...

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                          Thanks for the pictures, I'd love to see you driving the Mysterion...LOL

Not a big fan of those rubber band tires on oversized wheels. Too pimp.

That Lincoln btw is the wrong one...
                          I thought so, but I didn't see the other. I'll look for it tomorrow. Yeah, you got to have some guts to actually drive any of those old time hot rods. As for Mysterion, I DO have a "My Favorite Martian" silver jumpsuit that I think would be perfect!

Here's some Mustang silliness for your enjoyment.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDviZuNMPM0[/media]

VegasGuy

Comment

Correction on the Ed Roth "Mysterion" description. As any true fan would know, that's a pair of Ford 406s in there, not SBC. The front-mounted distributors should have been a tipoff. Oh well, it's been a long day.

VegasGuy

Comment

Hey Vegas, if you can, bring some more tech news for us - screen installs, tech hacks, or new products, cool accessories - for what I can tell all the cars always look about the same...

I know it's not Sema's forte, so do what you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X