Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Review: Mini Touch 700 7" Touchscreen Monitor

What is it?

The Mini Touch 700 is a first generation 7-inch touchscreen TFT VGA display.

The Verdict:

The Mini Touch 700 should definitely be considered when searching for a new 7" VGA display. This new screen packs in most all of the features found on Xenarc and Lilliput units, and goes a step above by ensuring that 800x480 native resolution is available without hassle.

What's in the box?

The Mini Touch 700 is boxed with everything you will find included with a Lilliput and more. Included is the 7" Touchscreen, VESA mount, home and car power supplies, cables for USB, VGA, and composite audio/video. Also included are the touchscreen driver cd (uses the same drivers as lillput/xenarcs do), stylus pen, and a nice headrest shroud that the monitor fits right into.

Description:

It is always nice when new items are produced that fit directly into the car PC realm, and the Mini Touch 700 is just that. The Mini Touch was designed specifically for use in a car. The creators made sure to include most all of the latest bells and whistles available on competing touchscreen units. The Mini Touch 700 has automatic power-on and automatic backup camera switching (it actually has two different options for auto-switching). It's missing the automatic brightness control via an ambient light sensor that the Xenarc 700TSV has, but there are plenty of software options which overcome this omission.

Being that the Mini Touch is designed for car PC use, the designers put an emphasis on creating a clear and crisp display, and the Mini Touch shines here. The display uses a true 450 Nit LCD with LED backlight, and the Mini Touch 700 is definitely brighter than competing units.

With a 500:1 contrast ratio, the screen is as beautiful as you will find in the car PC arena. The designers went above just having a clear display though. Another nod to the effort put into the screen being car PC friendly is the fact that it uses a video chip which allows a true native 800x480 resolution. If your video card drivers support 800x480, the Mini Touch will display in 800x480, no guesswork, no custom driver hacks needed.

Now with most first-generation devices there are usually problems or bugs that present themselves over the course of time. In my extended testing, which covered roughly 6 months, I had no problems at all with the Mini Touch 700. There was no flickering, no image ghosting, and the unit seemed to have no problem with differences in temperature. My only real gripe with the Mini Touch 700 is the lack of DVI/HDMI. With VGA slowly phasing its way out of the market and more and more touchscreen devices including HDMI, I feel like a new product should factor those options in. Then again, if they included HDMI output in the first-generation, what's to look forward to in the second generation?

The Positive:

• Brightness and crisp display, about the best you'll find with analog video
    • Includes most all the features found in competing devices• Included headrest shroud makes it a breeze to fabricate into a dashboard
    • True 800x480 compatibility
    • New product from a new company. Car PCs arent all tablets yet!

The Negative:

• No HDMI input option
    • Potentially limited replacement part capability should the need exist.

The Verdict:

The Mini Touch 700 should definitely be considered when searching for a new 7" VGA display. This new screen pacts in most all of the features found on Xenarc and Lilliput units, and goes a step above by ensuring that 800x480 native resolution is available without hassle.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Best bit for me is the 800x480 resolution, but the 450nit numbers are great.

How does it compare with the Xenarc 700 TSV s far as glare and sunlight readability go? About the same?

Could you also say something comparing the viewing angles? I find the Xenarc 45degrees or so to be pretty poor, there's definitely a lot of color shifting and lower brightness from the driver's point of view (about 40 degrees).

Does it save settings when it's powered off (power cut), like brightness contrast etc. Can you flip it vertically (and save the settings?). (Sorry about all the questions...I'm just curious so take your time)

Thanks for the review, great job with the pictures.
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

One questiom, where can we buy this?

Comment

Overall good review. Few nitpicks: missing retail price, spelling error "pacts in".

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
          Best bit for me is the 800x480 resolution, but the 450nit numbers are great.

How does it compare with the Xenarc 700 TSV s far as glare and sunlight readability go? About the same?

Could you also say something comparing the viewing angles? I find the Xenarc 45degrees or so to be pretty poor, there's definitely a lot of color shifting and lower brightness from the driver's point of view (about 40 degrees).

Does it save settings when it's powered off (power cut), like brightness contrast etc. Can you flip it vertically (and save the settings?). (Sorry about all the questions...I'm just curious so take your time)

Thanks for the review, great job with the pictures.
          The brightness of the display plays a large role in sunlight readability, but that being said i'm pretty sure the touchscreens are the exact same as you find on lilli's and xenarcs.

I guess i'm spoiled in my little 2 door coupe cause i didn't even THINK of viewing angles being a factor. If the torrential down-poor stops tonight i'll take a look and take some pics. I know that all the settings are saved when its powered off. Dunno if it can be flipped vertically.. again i'll check that tonight

Originally posted by ioi8 View Post
          One questiom, where can we buy this?
          The unit is available at mo-co-so. Click here, and btw... Thanks to Chris @ mo-co-so for allowing me to review.

Originally posted by vat2010 View Post
          Overall good review. Few nitpicks: missing retail price, spelling error "pacts in".
          I avoid putting the price in my reviews for the most part because i'm not "selling" the products per say. Also, some of the items (like this one earlier one) did not have pricing available at the time i started reviewing.

Thank you very much for the spell check though. I go over these things but every once in a while an error is bound to happen. I need an editor i spose lol

Comment

How hard is it to get the screen in and out of the headrest surround?
            I was hoping to use this as an easily removable dash mount although I note that there is no button or catch to "eject" it and that there is no simple plug so you would still have to disconnect all the cords.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by stretch4x4 View Post
              How hard is it to get the screen in and out of the headrest surround?
              I was hoping to use this as an easily removable dash mount although I note that there is no button or catch to "eject" it and that there is no simple plug so you would still have to disconnect all the cords.

Cheers
              It's actually pretty snug when its in the shroud. The shroud has holes on the back that you're supposed to use to push the monitor out, but you can also slide a thin object into the top and pry it out that way if you wish. I WILL be using the shroud to do my install in my wife's minivan. It pretty much makes it so you dont have to open the monitor bezel to do an install. Huge plus!

Comment

Thanks for that.
                Do you have a thread for the minivan yet? If not can you post it when you do get around to it

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for all the updated info, very informative.

Comment

Angled pics of the unit (dont pay any mind to the discoloration i was using quick-shot and my focus points were off). Screen wasn't too bad at any angle.. the pics dont really do it justice. The brightness of the display helps overcome some of the glare the angled shots.

pic of the screen vertically flipped

horizontally flipped

and one more thing that i liked about the screen that really isnt relevant to car PC use. The mount for the screen is a real mount. It supports the weight of the monitor and doesnt tilt over like all the new lilliput mounts do without adhesive

Comment

Originally posted by stretch4x4 View Post
                      Thanks for that.
                      Do you have a thread for the minivan yet? If not can you post it when you do get around to it

Cheers
                      I dont... i've had the parts needed for some time i've just be a bit lazy lol. I will post a worklog when i get started though.

Comment

Hi, although I am new to this forum, Ive been scrolling through a lot of posts in mp3car forums for quite some time unregistered. Ive checked the price for the Mini Touch 700 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor and Ive got to say, It is pretty good with a pretty decent price range. My only main concern is what is t difference between VGA and DVI, HDMI. I know that HDMI is the highest and DVI is mid, where else VGA is average, but what affect does it have on the screen when you output like a backup camera or a computer? Ive read descriptions and reviews where people say that DVI and HDMI not only makes the image quality sharper, but makes the screens brighter and vivid. Is this true? Im looking at these new lilliput screens that had just released and they have the same capabilities as the Mini Touch 700 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor but with a steeper price and DVI and HDMI capability. You did show us a picture of a side by side comparison with you rsx in-dash screen to the Mini Touch 700 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor as well as the viewing angles, but im just curious, besides quality, what affect does VGA compare to DVI or HDMI over screen brightness and what not? Sorry for all the questions. Need to know the product more before actually buying it. Thanks you for taking your time in reading this post.

Comment

Originally posted by LHLXD View Post
                          Hi, although I am new to this forum, Ive been scrolling through a lot of posts in mp3car forums for quite some time unregistered. Ive checked the price for the Mini Touch 700 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor and Ive got to say, It is pretty good with a pretty decent price range. My only main concern is what is t difference between VGA and DVI, HDMI. I know that HDMI is the highest and DVI is mid, where else VGA is average, but what affect does it have on the screen when you output like a backup camera or a computer? Ive read descriptions and reviews where people say that DVI and HDMI not only makes the image quality sharper, but makes the screens brighter and vivid. Is this true? Im looking at these new lilliput screens that had just released and they have the same capabilities as the Mini Touch 700 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor but with a steeper price and DVI and HDMI capability. You did show us a picture of a side by side comparison with you rsx in-dash screen to the Mini Touch 700 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor as well as the viewing angles, but im just curious, besides quality, what affect does VGA compare to DVI or HDMI over screen brightness and what not? Sorry for all the questions. Need to know the product more before actually buying it. Thanks you for taking your time in reading this post.
                          Here are a few reasons i went with the 669 with HDMI in my primary car:
                          1. VGA cables are too bulky and wouldnt fit inside my dash
                          2. All of the lilli's i've used in the past all had a varying bit of image ghosting, probably due to the fact i always had to use VGA extensions and they pick up analog noise
                          3. The image quality with HDMI is noticeably (not extremely) better.
                          4. My mother doesnt have a VGA port, and adding a DVI/VGA adapter would make my double-din install no longer fit.

All that being said, at 800x480 (800x600) you're not going to notice THAT much of a difference between analog and digital video. Nothing is going to look high-def at those resolutions.

Comment

What you say may be true for large screens. I doubt you could see much difference in a 7in screen.

Having said that, going digital (dvi or hdmi) is always desirable. I believe digital connection talk to the video card/drivers better, so you have less issues with resolution or Refresh rates. But this one works very well at 800x480 so one less thi g to worry about.

Lastly I wouldn't trust an hdmi connection in the car, VGA and dvi are very securely attached, but hdmi has a tendency to fall apart after a few connect/disconnect cycles, and don't handle movement very well...

Comment

If i get a moment this weekend i will take some comparison pics of this screen and the High-Brightness lilliput 669 (the one in my car is a first-gen low brightness version). I havent done the test yet, but i think what you'll find is there's no real difference between HDMI of the 669 and the VGA of the Mini Touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X