Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Source Vehicle - SEMA 2010

Embed this video

Sean Clark from mp3Car talks with Ariel from Local Motors, a company that is pioneering open source and community driven vehicles.

Building these vehicles is a 4 step process. First is creation; where Local Motors will take input from the community for all of the parts that will combine to create the car. Next is the development stage where the vehicle is put through theoretical testing and different scenarios to make sure its safe. 3rd is build. Users can actually go to the micro factory in Arizona and help build their car in 6 days.

Finally users can mod the vehicle with and "app store" of car parts. These parts are really easy to create because all the data for the car is open source.

I think this company and their business model is amazing. I would love to do a group buy for a car that fits with my needs.

I connected with this company, as I think the mp3Car community could provide some great ideas on how to mod these open source cars.
    Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
    • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
    • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
    • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
    • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Reminds me of the early lotus interior or something like a factory five racecar. Certainly a hobbyist fit and finish but pretty cool concept. Chassis was very well done and definitely shows some off-road racing engineering influence.
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

That thing would look pretty rad low to the ground and with 21-22" wheels IMHO. I wonder how much they cost to build?
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

They aimed for price points of around 50k. Whether all of them hit that target, not sure....
          Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
          • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
          • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
          • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
          • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Umm...I hope the $50k price tag is just because it's a brand new idea. I could buy a really nice car for less than that and not have to build it myself!
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

For that price you can get one of these:
              http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html
              and still build it yourself...but know that your car is faster then anything else on the road.

Its a cool idea-but nothing is cheap when done in small quantities (or by hand).

Comment

I want one of those! That looks like a great project!
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Yea I would do it in a heartbeat if I had the time and money.... Costs about 50-60K for everything depending on engine choice and such but you can resell them for 80-90K so its a fun project and an investment. It's also a prime candidate for a carPC.

Comment

Working...
                  X