Garmin Mobile PC Nav software dies, no replacement planned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Mobile PC Nav software dies, no replacement planned

Garmin's Windows based Navigation software marketed as "Garmin Mobile PC" has officially been discontinued.

Mp3car reviewed the software back in May of 2008. *The community has loved it and even created their own graphics skins and on screen keyboards that were lacking in the original version. (photo of discontinued logo).

It should also be noted that this was the navigation software shipped with companies like Toshiba and Fujitsu for their smaller form factor Ultra mobile windows computers. One of our community members emailed Garmin and here was the response:

"Dear Customer, Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you with this. I am sorry that Mobile PC has been discontinued. No further product releases have been announced for this sector at this time, I apologize for any inconvenience. Please reply to this email if you have any additional questions. "

I was afraid something like this would happen. Garmin seems to be locked into hardware-only solutions. My guess is that the Pioneer lawsuit had something to do with the decision. I just bought GMPC about 6 months ago - argggh!
    I'll just have to go back to iGuidance I guess - inferior to GMPC in my opinion (maps aren't as accurate as GMPC for North Texas - although the GUI is better for CarPCs).
    What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?

Comment

they still have the best navigation....why would anyone stop using it until the maps get outdated?
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand that. Why stop using it now? I mean, in a year or two, when the maps are outdated, and you can't get new ones, then, sure, but now?
        2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
        Core Duo CarPC
        CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by Caelric View Post
          Yeah, I don't understand that. Why stop using it now? I mean, in a year or two, when the maps are outdated, and you can't get new ones, then, sure, but now?
          As long as I can get still get map updates, I'll continue using it. I'm also concerned about accurate updates on a timely basis. In the DFW area a new major road or interchange is opened about every 12 months. Why would Garmin provide any more updates after December 2011 for a dead (to them) product?
          What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
            they still have the best navigation....why would anyone stop using it until the maps get outdated?
            For me, (I just bought it a few months ago), I would like to continue to use it but I am fearful that the plugins won't get updated for CF3.5 but I guess we will see.
            My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG View Post
              For me, (I just bought it a few months ago), I would like to continue to use it but I am fearful that the plugins won't get updated for CF3.5 but I guess we will see.
              The Rebellium plugin is the only one in active development. Nick no longer supports the GMPC plugin. Which is a real bummer since that's the one I favored.

VegasGuy

Comment

As I use the Rebellium plugin, I hope a version for 3.5 gets out quickly after 3.5 comes out, assuming that it is not already 3.5 compatible.
                2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                Core Duo CarPC
                CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                  The Rebellium plugin is the only one in active development. Nick no longer supports the GMPC plugin. Which is a real bummer since that's the one I favored.

VegasGuy
                  I have been using Nick's plugin as well and I did donate for it because it does work very well. I will try the Rebellium plugin if it gets updated, I sure it works well too. I really don't want to lose GMPC.
                  My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

well that was a royal ripoff to everyone that bought it then. the very least they could do now is permanently unlock all keys in use. as it is you have to wait 6 months before you can reactivate the copy you paid for. that was the killer for me. otherwise the software is nice. and i bet map updates will be readily available as people hack them from the hardware downloads.

Comment

There are garmin units that are over 10 years old that are available for map updates. I assume they will support the updating process. Maybe they'll decide to bring something else out in the future?

Comment

If GMPC uses the same map format as their portable units then surely you could get map updates on an SD card to copy onto your PC to keep the maps up-to-date atleast ?
                        Has anyone researched this ?
                        VIA Pico ITX, M2-ATX clone, 7" Seform 800x480 LCD Touchscreen, Dual 2x75WRMS Mini Amps, IDE-CF & SATA-CF adapters, 8GB (Sys) & 32GB (MP3s) CF, ELMscan5USB, Slot-load DVD, Craig Brass DAB+/FM USB module, Odyssey Navigator
                        Build 90% Apps 50% Install 10%

Comment

Wow, it seems like the CAR PC hobby is being pushed into a corner as far as NAV solutions is concerned. Here is what I don't understand. Why don't the front ends create their own NAV engine? I know the development time is long, but in the end you don't have to rely on whether or not the NAV will be discontinued at some point. Didn't Street Deck have its own NAV engine?
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                            Wow, it seems like the CAR PC hobby is being pushed into a corner as far as NAV solutions is concerned. Here is what I don't understand. Why don't the front ends create their own NAV engine? I know the development time is long, but in the end you don't have to rely on whether or not the NAV will be discontinued at some point. Didn't Street Deck have its own NAV engine?
                            no it used Mappoint and rendered the graphics to look like a nav engine. In the end front ends cant pay for the licensing costs involved in creating an engine with quality maps. Open street maps is out there but is still in its infancy
                            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                              no it used Mappoint and rendered the graphics to look like a nav engine. In the end front ends cant pay for the licensing costs involved in creating an engine with quality maps. Open street maps is out there but is still in its infancy
                              So cant the FE companies do that instead? I never played with SD, but everyone swore it had an awesome NAV solution. What would be awesome is if someone reverse engineered GMPC. That way it can be updated....
                              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X