Ultra-compact Trim-Slice computer released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra-compact Trim-Slice computer released

Compulab has just released their new ultra-compact, ultra-portable Trim-Slice desktop computer, packed with features and available to ship. It runs on a trickle of power (less than 3w) that powers a dual core NVIDIA Tegra 2 CPU and 1 Gb RAM, as well as a 32 Gb SSD, 4 USB ports, Bluetooth, Ethernet, dual 1080p HDMI ports, and an SD card slot—all packed into a tasteful metal case that is only .6” thick. Its three models range from a barebones version priced around $200 (that lacks some of the above features) to a decked out $320 Pro model.

While the hardware seems to have mass-appeal, the software is a work in progress. Trim-Slice was designed to entice software developers to make the most of this device, so Trim-Slice is encouraging the general consumer to hold off until the software matures into a more accessible version. What would you use a Trim-Slice for? Use applications could include media computers or one of the smallest car PC’s on the market.

For more info, visit their website.

^ This. I think this is going to become a serious contender for car computing. Multimedia power with the ability to sip the power at a very low rate.

And someone go check on Tripzero, I think he might have just slipped into a coma of joy

Comment

This would make a great HTPC or media extender as well. Just needs a good Windows port.
      Zotac N630I-D-E M/B w/ Nvidia 7100, E5300 cpu, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX, XP, RR & DFX 5.1.

Comment

Except that there is no windows on ARM, except for CE versions. You would be better off going the XMBC / MythTV route if you wanted to use this unit.

Or pick up a FitPC if you wanted to use windows, those are still lean enough, but are x86 hardware, so they will run Windows.

Comment

windows 8 will support ARM. This will be ready just in time. Go figure.

Comment

Just in time for what....I want one NOW!!

Comment

but if microsoft continues their current trend with 'good' OS's, we will need to wait until late windows 9(for all the bug fixes), early windows 10 for a stable release...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                but if microsoft continues their current trend with 'good' OS's, we will need to wait until late windows 9(for all the bug fixes), early windows 10 for a stable release...
                I second that
                - Project: Unified Car Control
                - Original OpenMobile Interface Designer

Comment

Glad to see you guys posted about this

I looked at it as a great start for implementing android OS or other arm based OS's into the dash of our vehicles efficiantly and powerfully.

Android OS seems like a great choice with a bit of work. Tons of apps, and especially vehicle based apps like Torque. Open bluetooth support, very wide media support, etc...
                  Age: 18 | Car: Isuzu Rodeo 01 | http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...s-eee-box.html

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                    windows 8 will support ARM. This will be ready just in time. Go figure.
                    Exactly. I think the dual core ARM's will run Windows just fine, just like the Atom devices. Linux is fine, but I prefer Windows for my HTPC.

ARM is a great platform because of the wide OS support, and Windows support will just make it better.
                    Zotac N630I-D-E M/B w/ Nvidia 7100, E5300 cpu, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX, XP, RR & DFX 5.1.

Comment

OMFG, this would have been great for what I want to do! To bad ive already commited myself to what I am doing now!
                      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

There's still time to change the design again HiJack!! *grin*

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
                          There's still time to change the design again HiJack!! *grin*
                          LOL, your right, but I hate to say it, but im getting tired of the Car PC thing, or should I say building the hardware. I want to be at the software stage, but because I've been so A.D.D with the hardware, I don't feel like im moving forward. Plus I don't want to waste anymore money, lol. I may get one of these for my lovers car though. I really dont feel like building a CAR PC for him, with this I would just put it in and im done.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                          X