Introducing Mimics. The ultimate iPhone-in-your-car experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Mimics. The ultimate iPhone-in-your-car experience

Mimics Dash allows you to operate an iPhone via a touch screen monitor installed in your vehicle. After installing Mimics Dash, simply plug your iPhone in each time you enter your vehicle and enjoy the convenience of all of your iPhone's apps, music, phone, and navigation features on a safe, easy-to-use touch screen monitor. By bridging the gap between your iPhone and your car, Mimics becomes the ultimate in-car entertainment system.

Here's how it works: The touch interface is interpreted by the module and transmitted via Bluetooth to your iPhone. Genius! Now you can control your phone from the monitor! The Module draws power from the Lilliput monitor, and video is supplied to the monitor via the Apple HDMI dock connector (optional). Audio is supplied to your aftermarket amplifier* via the 3.5mm jack on your iPhone (optional). Choose the Mimics Cable Option and we'll give you all of the necessary cables needed to get video and audio out from your phone and be able to charge while driving.

Made specifically for your vehicle, Mimics Dash is engineered to be an easy install (or have your local car stereo shop do it for you):
    1. Remove your existing dash panel
    2. Install the Mimics Dash
    3. Install an aftermarket amplifier* of your choice
    4. Connect the Mimics Cable kit and you're ready to go

Documentation Here

Order NOW
    Everything you wanted to know about Mimics
    Last edited by optikalefx; 08-06-2011, 10:16 AM.

Why Lilliput?
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

yaaaaaay the secret is finally out!
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Do you know if it would be possible to have both Mimics and a PC connected to the Lilliput at the same time?

I like the way I have my system set up, but I would love to control my iPhone via my touchscreen (without the use of VNC).

Comment

Right now, there is no way to connect a PC and the Mimics to the monitor at the same time. The Mimics takes over the 4 wire touch screen and uses the signal to broadcast to your iPhone. Future plans may include a 'switch.'
          Have a product you would like to sell on the mp3Car Store? PM me for more information.

Have a car computer question? Ask me by emailing the store.

Comment

Originally posted by chaoszero View Post
            Do you know if it would be possible to have both Mimics and a PC connected to the Lilliput at the same time?

I like the way I have my system set up, but I would love to control my iPhone via my touchscreen (without the use of VNC).
            http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CJYBEPMCMAA#

Hmmmm?
            MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

We have to switch the 4 wire ribbon cable. Our installation actually detaches that from the LCD panel and into the mimics. We have plans to make a switch to detect on different video inputs to switch between car pc and iPhone.

Comment

So if I read it right, you have to plug two cords(30-pin dock, and 3.5 headphone) in order to get both video and audio?

Comment

I really have to ask why?

All you get is a slightly bigger display for the phone, connected via headphone output to your amps? Not even digital audio output provided with HDMI? Why not just have an Airplay device?

I think the hardware focus needs to turn to better integration for the iPad and other tablets, with more extensive control and audio quality. Connecting a bunch of cables to your phone every time you get in the car, losing your factory audio system, etc. What happens if you are busy, forget your phone, need to take a quick trip, phone breaks etc. The system is completely disabled without the phone.

Add to that, lilliput screens, as much as I love them (and remember that I had them before this forum started selling stuff) are not very high quality. The amazing display of the iphone is done no justice on a larger screen with lower resolution. An Ipad suffers even more!

After all the nonsense cryptic posts leading up to this I'm pretty disappointed. This is not a car pc, or a car stereo, etc. Since I already can display my iphone on my car pc, it only really adds the ability to touch the screen in the dash for phone control? Over bluetooth? I can do that with Veency.

You mention in the press release an innovative future and developments from the locals here, what do you have in mind? What do you see for this device in the future that would entice some of us to invest in this idea?
                  Old School MP3CAR.com member!

Comment

I like the concept. The Apple HDMI cable allows for charging too, so it wouldn't be any different than if you'd be using your iPhone directly as the media source. But it also supports Android?

But the need to use a. lilliputs; b. resistive touch; c. 4-wire resistive? It would be great if it weren't THAT integrated to Lilliputs. Maybe if it could be pulled from any usb based touch (5 wire resistive or better, capacitive)...but perhaps that's not possible.

I think it's very interesting, if I had the displeasure of owing a lilliput, I would perhaps give a try.
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

So is this basically a BT module and a piece of video cable that connect to the display? and $204.95 for the BT module alone?

Comment

On a forum dedicated to carpc's - a product is introduced that requires disabiling said device.

On a forum dedicated to carpc's, of which users tend to strive for good quality audio - a product is introduced that requires adding equipment (an amplifier) to get worse sound ( headphone ).

On a forum dedicated to carpc's - a product is developed that solves a *problem* the wrong way ... Why not make a app that works with this:

http://www.nokia.com/terminalmode

Comment

Originally posted by meryan00 View Post
                          So if I read it right, you have to plug two cords(30-pin dock, and 3.5 headphone) in order to get both video and audio?
                          Yes, right now you will need to plug in two cables; the dock connector for video out and charging and the 3.5mm jack for audio.

Plans are in the works for an all-in-one dock connector cable that will combine audio output, charging, and video.
                          Have a product you would like to sell on the mp3Car Store? PM me for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by dscustoms View Post
                            I really have to ask why?

All you get is a slightly bigger display for the phone, connected via headphone output to your amps? Not even digital audio output provided with HDMI? Why not just have an Airplay device?

I think the hardware focus needs to turn to better integration for the iPad and other tablets, with more extensive control and audio quality. Connecting a bunch of cables to your phone every time you get in the car, losing your factory audio system, etc. What happens if you are busy, forget your phone, need to take a quick trip, phone breaks etc. The system is completely disabled without the phone.

Add to that, lilliput screens, as much as I love them (and remember that I had them before this forum started selling stuff) are not very high quality. The amazing display of the iphone is done no justice on a larger screen with lower resolution. An Ipad suffers even more!

After all the nonsense cryptic posts leading up to this I'm pretty disappointed. This is not a car pc, or a car stereo, etc. Since I already can display my iphone on my car pc, it only really adds the ability to touch the screen in the dash for phone control? Over bluetooth? I can do that with Veency.

You mention in the press release an innovative future and developments from the locals here, what do you have in mind? What do you see for this device in the future that would entice some of us to invest in this idea?
                            dscustoms,

You pose very good questions and, believe me, we've done a lot of thinking on the topic over the last several months. Tablet integration was thought to be a more specific niche, with fewer people wanting to find a way to put an 8+ inch screen in their dash. Functionality might be greater, but the majority of people want to use more basic navigation and their media features while driving. Everyone seems to have a smart phone these days, with the majority of owners using very car friendly apps on a daily basis in the palm of their hand. Mimics Dash allows them to do this on a slightly larger screen in their car, positioned in a much easier to use and safer location.

Forgetting your phone does pose a bit of a problem (or maybe a solution to remind you to locate your phone before leaving?) if you want any sort of music, nav, social networking, etc. on short drives or drives where you want to leave the world behind. Still, for the latter, can't you just turn your phone into airplane mode?

Lilliput screens were chosen for the initial release because of their economical price point, relatively good performance, and ability to fit in the Preassembled Double Din LCD Frames we sell. This allows users to select from hundreds of 'custom' Direct Fit Kits to fit specific vehicles, making installation relatively easy.

The Mimics can theoretically work with any 4-wire resistive touch screen monitor. So, if you have a favorite monitor, changes are you'll be able to configure it to work with the Mimics. Additionally, plans are in the works to offer a capacitive solution in future and then a capacitive multi-touch version. The screens we're looking at for future models do look more similar to the screen of the original iPhone.

With respect to getting 'locals' involved on our forums, I'll let Fiberoptic do the majority of the talking, but the initial thought is that a product such as Mimics could entice more into using apps in the car--maybe so much so that car-specific apps will begin to be written, downloaded, and enjoyed. With an emphasis on safety and simple UI designs, these apps could potentially be the gateway for Car PC enthusiasts to design (and sell?) to everyone. Of course, we'll see how the device catches on first, but it might be nice to see how the apps many of you have already written (and offer on the Auto App Mart) do on a platform designed for the rest of the world.

Comment

The way i see it this is not a device to replace a car PC nor a device that the hobbyist here would use. This is the device for the person that knows the power of their smartphone and wants to harness in the car safely. Believe it or not everyone out there doesn't want to have to re-learn a car PC interface, fool with front ends, or install a bunch of gadgets in there car. This is simple, plug it in and have instant access to a comfortable interface that for the most part keeps both hands on the wheel. This isn't mp3Car trying to get rid of the car PC, its more like them inviting a whole other community to the forum.
                              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Working...
                              X