Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New touch-screen steering wheel interface increases safety and maximizes convenience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New touch-screen steering wheel interface increases safety and maximizes convenience

German engineers have developed a touch screen interface for a steering wheel that allows a driver to control the car’s functions via gestures on a thin (11mm) piece of acrylic. In addition to making these functions more convenient and accessible, researchers also believe that it will decrease accidents caused when drivers take their eyes off the wheel/road in order to change a song, turn on the AC, or look at a map.

The prototype, developed by researchers from several different German universities, could potentially replace many of the gauges that have traditionally been located behind the steering wheel in the dash. Its multi-touch screen is designed to identify gestures that correspond to certain car functions, most of which could be done using only the driver’s thumbs (keeping the hands on the wheel at all times). So, zooming in on a map or changing songs could be a matter of a couple of intuitive multi-touch gestures.

Future designs could also interface with head’s up displays that could be projected on the windshield, further reducing the need/temptation to take one’s eyes off the road. It could also interface with traffic updates and proximity sensors to warn drivers when it is especially important to be alert under certain driving conditions. And researchers believe that the airbag will deploy successfully by breaking the thin acrylic screen in the event of an accident.

Special thank you to JohnWPB for calling my attention to this interesting development. For more information, check out the original article here. Please leave comments below if you have any thoughts about this topic, and if any of you see developments that might be relevant to this site and blog-worthy, please feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by ChasPhillips; 06-22-2011, 11:22 AM.

unfortunately, your link is only for the image posted in this thread...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Here is the full link to the original article. What's nice is they mention that you would not need to draw with your finger across the wheel, but instead would be able to just use your thumbs, and not remove your grip from the wheel. I could picture something like the iPod's gestures, and be able to FF/RW and such by just moving your thumb in circles.
      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Hmmm - so the display rotates with the wheel.
        There was an auto-transmission gear selector that once did that.... (Not that it's quite the same thing, and things have changed..)

Comment

Not so good with most new cars having an airbag on the steering wheel

Comment

The researchers claim that the screen will be thin enough to break if an airbag needs to deploy... You'll just end up with a bunch of broken acrylic on your lap.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasPhillips View Post
              The researchers claim that the screen will be thin enough to break if an airbag needs to deploy... You'll just end up with a bunch of broken acrylic on your lap.
              There was a little fine print in that claim:
              "Most of the acrylic will be on your lap, the rest will be lodged in your eyes and chest"

Comment

Also, the cost to replace airbags is high enough. Add a custom designed wheel with a "special" touchscreen. Im sure that would up the price at least 2k.

Comment

sounds dangerous. Probably wont go into producion in new cars.

Comment

Originally posted by customgadz View Post
                    there was a little fine print in that claim:
                    "most of the acrylic will be on your lap, the rest will be lodged in your eyes and chest"

MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but that would blind the hell out of me..... having a monitor directly dead smack in front of you?

Most monitor installs that I see here are a couple of feet to the L or R, and is no more then a 7"-10" size.......this steering wheel monitor is way too big for being right in front of you, and without being distracted in any way?
                      Plus.... how the hell are you going to wrap your hands/fingers around that steering wheel? One word, "FAIL".......Just my opinion.
                      Last edited by RAWPWR; 06-23-2011, 05:32 PM.

Comment

anyone remember the guy that modded a cavalier with a lilliput in the center of the steering wheel?

this reminds me of his build...

i have been thinking about this a little more, and the screen being that big is almost too big:
                        1. no way to wrap your fingers around the wheel.
                        2. unless they figure out a way to get the image to appear stationary while rotating the wheel, turning is going to be hard to read the screen.

i am thinking that some small touch screens embedded where the normal steering wheel controls would allow for both the expected standard controls that most want, plus the addition of active displays that could display some basic info, or change the functions of the buttons. all without disturbing the airbag, or creating something that changes the current shape of steering wheels...
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

I think its a nice idea but the HUD being on the windshield is just dangerous. Granted its not over the entire thing but still. "Oh look, i like this song" *Thump* "Woops, I think i ran over Jimmy." Being able to not have the HUD distract you or get in your way might be difficult. And even if its on the side, your then using your peripherals to look at the road, still not safe.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                            Unless they figure out a way to get the image to appear stationary while rotating the wheel, turning is going to be hard to read the screen.
                            You just have to get into driving more, and rotate your head as you turn the wheel, and make vroom vroom sounds! LOL

Seriously though... I think the idea of the screen in the center of the wheel is a bad idea. However a couple of touch pads, strategically placed where your thumbs normally rest, would be good. I mean, standard steering wheel volume, station buttons ect, do not rotate with the wheel, anyhow you shouldn't be trying to change a station anyways if you have the wheel cocked more that a few degrees!

Just replace the location of the standard steering wheel buttons, with a couple of touch sensitive pads. Pressing and holding your Right thumb at the top to turn up the volume, swiping left and right for track selection and so forth. With technology today, I am sure the pad's could easily be curved and blend right in with the steering wheel, to not even notice that it is built in.
                            Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

I don't think what we are looking at here and now is going to end up in vehicles. I see this as being the first step in the eveloution of what could become the product that vehicle manufacturers may want to put in their vehicles. There are a number of reasons that make me think this way.

1/ It is too big.
                              2/ You can't grip the steering wheel properly.
                              3/ Steering wheel airbags can fracture wrist bones so it will break if the airbag goes off adding extra cost.
                              4/ When it breaks there is the added risk of injury due to shards of acrylic.
                              5/ How bright is this thing at night? Too bright IMHO.

If this evolves into a HUD instead I think this would be a great addition to my car. Haven't military aircraft had HUDs for some time now? I don't think a HUD would be more distracting than a GPS unit or audio system or a touchscreen carputer. After all, your gaze is still directed ahead with a HUD, its just that your eyes are focused on the HUD not on the road ahead. This means that, because it is in your field of vision, if something happens in front of you it is more likely to catch your attention than if your gaze was directed down to a screen on your steering wheel or audio system or a GPS unit.

My humble opinion,
                              Berber
                              "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X