Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Computer Install: Backup Camera Fix

Embed this video

Sean shows us how to install a backup camera with a Lilliput monitor pre-wired for backup camera connectivity. These special Lilliput monitors have a wire (usually green in color) that extrudes from the back of the circuit board. When this wire receives +12V, the monitor automatically switches from your PC input to AV2, where your camera is connected. So, if you connect this wire to your backup lights and your camera to AV2, when you shift into reverse, the display will switch to your camera input.
    Have a product you would like to sell on the mp3Car Store? PM me for more information.

Have a car computer question? Ask me by emailing the store.

Why does it take so long to roll these videos out?? its been like forever since you guys started this series...

Comment

We had a "slight" interruption while making the series that caused us to finish it later.

Originally posted by nandosreis View Post
      Why does it take so long to roll these videos out?? its been like forever since you guys started this series...

Comment

i sooo wish i could come there and clean up that amp wiring.

Comment

Really? I thought it was pretty well tied up and organized. At least compared to a lot of other installs we've seen over years. Would you have trimmed a lot of the wires to not have any extra slack?

Originally posted by Michae View Post
          i sooo wish i could come there and clean up that amp wiring.

Comment

Quick question...

What is the delay time from going into reverse and the AV switching to the appropriate input? Mine is about 2 seconds -- just wondering if that's normal.

Comment

yea it's not great, varies between 1-2 seconds to switch over

Originally posted by nasa View Post
              Quick question...

What is the delay time from going into reverse and the AV switching to the appropriate input? Mine is about 2 seconds -- just wondering if that's normal.

Comment

Wait, I'm about to do this install followed all your others .. Anyhow you make it sound like your going to use the power from your matx? I thought all you need was the 12v switching reverse light wire and connect that to the Lilliput green and ground.. Thats it? Why are you connecting to the carpc power supply?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cdrama View Post
                  Wait, I'm about to do this install followed all your others .. Anyhow you make it sound like your going to use the power from your matx? I thought all you need was the 12v switching reverse light wire and connect that to the Lilliput green and ground.. Thats it? Why are you connecting to the carpc power supply?

Thanks.

Yea I was wondering myself, the amps off the switchedpower from the PC is not much, I would wanna see the power come from the reverse light for the Camera and the reverse switch in Monitor, is the voltage to dirty for camera or something? I am about to do this in both of my cars, would like a heads up

Comment

Ding.

Originally posted by EliteGeeks View Post
                    Yea I was wondering myself, the amps off the switchedpower from the PC is not much, I would wanna see the power come from the reverse light for the Camera and the reverse switch in Monitor, is the voltage to dirty for camera or something? I am about to do this in both of my cars, would like a heads up
                    It's not only me that noticed.. I could be wrong but would like clarification if possible.

THanks guys!

Comment

Sorry for the late response. Yes we spliced into the black monitor power cable that was connected to switched m2atx output. That way, the monitor and the backup camera both came on when the computer is on, and not any other time.

Comment

so what your saying is that you burdened the PC power supply with another device? why not use the Reverse Light power to power the Camera, reason i mention this, when a Camera is Powered up it makes heat, this also wears out the camera leaving it on all the time. the same wire you used to power the monitor switch to Video2 can power the camera..

Comment

We didn't want to use the video2 wire for power because it's not filtered. The m2ATX provides filtered 12v that we can use for the camera. Some more expensive cameras can handle dirty power, but the camera used here will most likely last longer using filtered power. Moreover, the camera is such a lower powered device I don't feel that it will burden the system that much. I haven't done the math behind it of course, but yea, that's the reasoning behind that.

Originally posted by EliteGeeks View Post
                          so what your saying is that you burdened the PC power supply with another device? why not use the Reverse Light power to power the Camera, reason i mention this, when a Camera is Powered up it makes heat, this also wears out the camera leaving it on all the time. the same wire you used to power the monitor switch to Video2 can power the camera..

Comment

Cameras is one area that I am a expert in if this were in Las Vegas where heat is 110 and you drive druring the day it will cook the camera.

Trust me, replaced many cameras do to heat. Issue #2 would come down to available load on the MTX2.. what wattage draw is needed for cameras via max load of PC/Video/Devices/Camera exceeding wattage might be a issue no?

Comment

I would probably buy a more suited camera for that constant heat. Here in Baltimore it doesn't stay that hot. The m2ATX has 2 rails, one is powering the computer, the other is powering the monitor and camera, I'd have to check loads but you may be right once you do the math.

Comment

Working...
                              X