DIY all-in-one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY all-in-one

now, i haven't actually seen the bybyte double-din case in person, but the igepv2 board is so small (think smaller than the beagleboard) that you could probably fit it, a psu, scantool and maybe the boomzbox hardware inside a single all-in-one unit.

I don't know what I'd ask for in a grant, but this is something that provided enough documentation, possibly a lot of form members would be excited in trying out. The only thing that's really missing from this setup is the amp. Weren't there some forum members working on that?

The biggest part to get is probably the lcd, which must be hdmi/dvi. I think there is a lilliput and a xenarc that have this.

If I were to get this innovation grant, I'd be happy to document how to configure the hardware and software so that others can follow and do the same.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Well you have my attention..although, I don't really have final call on approving these, the mods do.

It would be very cool to come up with a DIY device and perhaps we could sell the parts.

Can you provide more detail on 1) the total amount of the grant and 2) what you would purchase with the grant and 3) what the end product would be? a build of materials and an explanation on how to build the unit? (mp3Car could make a video here in house on how to do it by the way, if you created the documentation)

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
    now, i haven't actually seen the bybyte double-din case in person, but the igepv2 board is so small (think smaller than the beagleboard) that you could probably fit it, a psu, scantool and maybe the boomzbox hardware inside a single all-in-one unit.

I don't know what I'd ask for in a grant, but this is something that provided enough documentation, possibly a lot of form members would be excited in trying out. The only thing that's really missing from this setup is the amp. Weren't there some forum members working on that?

The biggest part to get is probably the lcd, which must be hdmi/dvi. I think there is a lilliput and a xenarc that have this.

If I were to get this innovation grant, I'd be happy to document how to configure the hardware and software so that others can follow and do the same.
    Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
    • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
    • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
    • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
    • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

1) $234 per the price of: http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_629..._p/mon-057.htm
      or
      $179 for the boomzbox: http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Boomz..._p/com-109.htm

2) I would be providing the igepv2 board, the bybyte case, the dc power supply and whatever else that #1 doesn't cover (either the screen or the boomzbox).

3) the end product would be documentation on how to create an all-in-one low-powered in-dash unit that could do hd radio, and all the other carpc stuff and have the ability to stay on for long periods of time and not kill your battery.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
        1) $234 per the price of: http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_629..._p/mon-057.htm
        or
        $179 for the boomzbox: http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Boomz..._p/com-109.htm

2) I would be providing the igepv2 board, the bybyte case, the dc power supply and whatever else that #1 doesn't cover (either the screen or the boomzbox).

3) the end product would be documentation on how to create an all-in-one low-powered in-dash unit that could do hd radio, and all the other carpc stuff and have the ability to stay on for long periods of time and not kill your battery.
        I like the sounds of this - mods? What are your thoughts, questions?

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Comment

I 100% agree! This would be a very cool DIY project and having a set of instructions for how to do it would be awesome.

You've got my vote for an innovation grant!
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I have a Scantool bluetooth that mp3car supplied. Would that work? Not sure if it has the proper Linux drivers or not...
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
              I have a Scantool bluetooth that mp3car supplied. Would that work? Not sure if it has the proper Linux drivers or not...
              I wanted to see if I could get with vitality to get something smaller. I know he has a really small embedded obdlink chip. If that won't work, maybe a normal scantool like yours would work if I just gut the casing...

Comment

I think THIS is what innovation grants were made for. I "approve"
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

It looks like this is a yes. Great idea!

tripzero - If you would like me to speak with Vitaliy, just let me know.
                  And, pm me your mailing address.

Comment

I would really recommend planning out exactly what hardware is going in there and how it will all get connected before you decide how much to ask for or start purchasing components. That said, once the plan is in place it has my vote too.
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -
                    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Agree. Start simple. First version would be screen, psu, igep v2 and possibly OBDII or HD radio.

If there's room after that, put a hub inside.

BTW - Rob told me that one of the most popular videos they ever made was the one that was the hacked together wireless screen. This is similar, but perhaps more practical without the battery.
                      Want to:

Comment

Also - it may make sense to speak with iBiquity regarding the HD radio part, our technology is older than what is available now.

Parts shipping today!

Comment

I'd be more inclined to use a Beagleboard-XM, rather than the IGEPV2.

Comment

Originally posted by futaris View Post
                            I'd be more inclined to use a Beagleboard-XM, rather than the IGEPV2.
                            no wifi or bluetooth

kev whats the most poweful all in one board you can get these days? (that still has wifi, bluetooth & a decent GPU)
                            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                            - Always Recruiting Developers -
                            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Beagleboard-XM has 4 USB ports. Add a small bluetooth dongle and/or wifi if you need it.

1 GHz Cortex-A8 DM3730 vs the 720MHz OMAP3530 on the Beagleboard or IGEPV2.

Comment

Working...
                              X