Bluetooth Car unlocker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth Car unlocker

I found a little article in Popular Science magazine and I think it would be a cool project. I dont know if it would really qualify for a grant but its worth a try.

The project involes taking a portable Bluetooth printer apart and and hooking it up to your car remote. In the event you lock your keys in your car you would be able to unlock it by sending a picture to the printer.

Interesting!
    What happens if you run out paper

Comment

It doesn't print the photo. You phone sends it via Bluetooth and once the printer gets the message the signal is sent to your car remote not the printer. What I want to know is what happens if the ink is removed. My printer at home doesn't do anything until you fix the ink.

-Swinson

Comment

DO it. Do it.

Comment

Originally posted by swinso View Post
          What I want to know is what happens if the ink is removed. My printer at home doesn't do anything until you fix the ink.

-Swinson
          Well, you posted the link. Did you look at the printer? It doesn't use ink. The 'ink' is actually IN the paper, all the printer does is basically heat up the paper. However, if it doesn't have paper, it might flip out. I'm guessing you can probably use something like this instead though. It's a bunch more money than the printer, but probably easier than trying to reverse-engineer the printer, and also a lot more customizable.

Anyway, it's a cool idea. People have mentioned it here several times when trying to think up a better keyless entry system, but none of them have proven stable enough, I think. Usually the power requirements mean that it'd kill your battery if left for too long. Then what happens if you kill your battery AND lock your keys in the car?

Cheers,

Kris
          How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

I don't know that I could afford that Bluetooth module but I think your right about it being easier to work with.

One of the feature of the printer is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. I don't see the battery life listed but im sure its quite a few hours. If its not long enough I don't see why I couldn't just add a bigger one. I think should address the issue of killing the car battery. The internal battery will charge while the car is on but when its off the printer will be on its own.

-Swinson

Comment

I saw it too in the most recent issue. Here is a link to the actual article:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-09/open-secret

My question was since the BT printer is powered on, would it be possible for a passing thug to pick up the BT device (printer) on his phone, gamble with a few passcodes and open the doors of my very locked and very secure truck?

Going one step further, I also saw these door poppers for door-handle-less entry...

http://www.lafranceautoworks.com/available-models.php
              Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

Was that another article in the April edition?

I'd just use a second remote - bluetooth or otherwise.

Comment

Well we have given away very few grants recently, so the arduino bluetooth might not be unreasonable to give. What do the mods think about this project - the decision is theirs.
                  Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
                  • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
                  • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
                  • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
                  • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

My other project is keeping a computer running while the car is off. One of the primary goals is to enable things like this. When you computer is running all the time, you can remote start and do other cool things via bluetooth, wifi, or even the internet.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...t-worklog.html
                    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Trip might be on to something.

However, why not use a fusion brain?

Comment

Agreed - Trip makes sense.

The Audrino has a bigger market.
                        And it's cheaper.
                        (And security is not an issue - ie, OpenSource.)

PS - I was also thinking degree of difficulty - ie, PIC vs uPC - which Trip confirmed below (2nd reply down).

Comment

Originally posted by quantum View Post
                          I saw it too in the most recent issue. Here is a link to the actual article:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-09/open-secret

My question was since the BT printer is powered on, would it be possible for a passing thug to pick up the BT device (printer) on his phone, gamble with a few passcodes and open the doors of my very locked and very secure truck?

Going one step further, I also saw these door poppers for door-handle-less entry...

http://www.lafranceautoworks.com/available-models.php
                          I dont think security would be an issue because on every Bluetooth device I have ever used you have to make it visible the first time you connect.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
                            Agreed - Trip makes sense.

The Audrino has a bigger market.
                            And it's cheaper.
                            (And security is not an issue - ie, OpenSource.)
                            Fusion brain in conjunction with the bluetooth? very difficult. Also the fusion brain requires a PC to do the logic bits. With the audrino you can program it with logic and it consumes very little power. However, it's a bit of a challenge getting bluetooth working with it and that's beyond my skill set (I'm a software hacker, not a hardware guy).

If you are talking about using the fusion brain/audrino to start the car, that's a different story... I use my scantool and nobdy to start my car remotely over the CAN bus on my car. My original plan was to use this low powered computer + fusion brain connected to relays connected to my remote keyfob. I found the CAN bus method to be much simpler :P.
                            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

I thought I would post the details of this project just in case any one is interested.

Build a Keyless Unlocker
                              Time: 2 Hours
                              Cost: $65.02
                              Difficulty:Relatively Easy
                              1. Open the printer. Slide the battery cover plate off and remove the battery. Snap the plastic bezel off the front of the printer, and remove the two screws that hold the cover plate in place. Remove the narrow ribbon cable.
                              2. Route two wires into the printer via the paper exit slot. Solder one to the “TP14” solder connection point on the circuit board, and the other to any ground point on the board.
                              3. Reassemble the printer. Slide the two wires through the paper exit slot. Solder the other ends of those two wires to each one of the coil prongs on the relay. Solder two different wires to the remaining switch prongs of the relay.
                              4. Open the key fob and locate the button that unlocks the doors. Solder one relay wire to each pole of the switch. Reassemble the fob. Connect the printer’s power supply to an inverter, and plug it into your lighter.
                              5. Turn on the printer. Enter passcode 6000 to pair your phone with the printer. Send a photo via Bluetooth, and the relay will trigger the key fob to unlock your car’s doors.

Comment

Working...
                              X