No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleecing

Fleecing is where you wrap a cloth over a skeleton to give your project a shape. The cloth you use is up to you. Some use expensive neoprene type materials, but I simply prefer either a T-shirt material or sweat shirt type material. It needs to have some elasticity to it. I’ve even used grill cloth a time or two, which works very well. My aunt is the manager of a Jo-Ann Fabric store, so I stop by there every once in a while and pick up some real “beautiful” material. It doesn’t matter what the print is on the fleece, because it will be covered by layers of fiberglass.

To fleece you will want to first build a rigid skeleton, which covers as much as possible. Large flat areas should be made from wood versus fiberglass. Fiberglass is not incredibly strong on flat surfaces. It gets its strength from the curves and shapes it takes. A careful person with tools at their disposal can often gain some added strength at the corners. On outside corners, run a ˝” rabbitting bit around the corner. This will give you a lip to fasten to, and a lip to fill to in the sanding/finishing stage of your project.

When building speaker enclosures, MDF rings are what you’ll use to make the mounting points for the speaker. To mount the rings, I use hot glue and dowels. The hot glue is strong enough to hold the rings in place for the duration of the construction, but it also allows to bust out the dowels when finished. I believe there are a few threads on here about making the MDF rings, but I don’t have the links currently. If you don’t have the tools/time/skills to make the rings, PM me, and I should be able to help and/or make you a set.

Once the skeleton and rings, and any other shapes that need to be address have been placed you can start stretching the fleece. Tools and items used for this process include finger clamps, CA glue, stapler, and just about anything else lying around that can aid in the process. The fabric should be stretched tight. If you can get a reasonable amount of stretch with your hand, then the resin will cause the fabric to sag, and in-turn make it a real pain to finish! Wrinkles are another pain, especially when you get into compound curves. Take your time, and get out as many wrinkles as possible. A little extra time spent on this portion of the project will save you tons of time on the sanding process!

Once everything is wrapped in fleece, it is time to apply your resin. This is the one time where I will work with more than 2oz of resin at a time. About 4-6oz seems to be right. Make sure to thoroughly saturate the cloth. I like to add a bit more where the cloth and wood meet, just to make sure the wood gets saturation to bond the fleece and wood.