Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: feature request: TMC and section control

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    utrecht
    Posts
    7

    feature request: TMC and section control

    Hi,

    First I like to mention this is great sw! I have 2 questions:

    I have seen a lot of threads and questions about TMC. What's the current idea/planning supporting TMC enabled GPS recievers?

    In the Netherlands, section control (Traject-controle) is becomming very popular: Your avarage speed is measured on a high-way section of several Km. Will it be possible to get the following support for this:

    1) start and end as PoI;
    2) when approaching the first Poi, a warning with speed limit (already possible);
    3a) from this moment, your avarage speed is calculated and displayed;
    3b) nice to have: calculation and display of "allowed speed"; the speed you can/should drive from now on to have the right avarage speed from start to end;
    4) if avarage speed above speed limit, warning message / prompt;
    5) when passed the end PoI, everything back to normal

    I'm afraid this is not very clear. Please see this solution in freeware checkpoint for TomTom

    blb4mp3

  2. #2
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by blb4mp3
    Hi,

    First I like to mention this is great sw! I have 2 questions:

    I have seen a lot of threads and questions about TMC. What's the current idea/planning supporting TMC enabled GPS recievers?

    In the Netherlands, section control (Traject-controle) is becomming very popular: Your avarage speed is measured on a high-way section of several Km. Will it be possible to get the following support for this:

    1) start and end as PoI;
    2) when approaching the first Poi, a warning with speed limit (already possible);
    3a) from this moment, your avarage speed is calculated and displayed;
    3b) nice to have: calculation and display of "allowed speed"; the speed you can/should drive from now on to have the right avarage speed from start to end;
    4) if avarage speed above speed limit, warning message / prompt;
    5) when passed the end PoI, everything back to normal

    I'm afraid this is not very clear. Please see this solution in freeware checkpoint for TomTom

    blb4mp3
    Have you got a web site for Traject-controle ? It may be some thing that could be intergrated some where else that Gobbys looking at soon.

    Terran

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    utrecht
    Posts
    7
    took a while to find a site in English, but I found it here

  4. #4
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,680
    Couldnt see any infomation on a data feed... can you have a look around and see if you can find one... ie XML etc etc

    Terran

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    utrecht
    Posts
    7
    Do you mean the logic / code which is used by checkpoint for this section control?

  6. #6
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by blb4mp3
    Do you mean the logic / code which is used by checkpoint for this section control?
    Ie http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/xml/

    Terran

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    utrecht
    Posts
    7
    I don't know of any on-line status application which give 'real time' info about these section controls. I don't think that's nessesary at this moment, the section control systems are fixed. They are testing with a mobile system, but I believe they have promblems with proofing they can make a correct legal measurment.
    So, just 2 GPS coordinates (start en end point) and the allowed speed should be enough (together of course with time passed start point, current time and current position).
    Bernard

  8. #8
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by blb4mp3
    I don't know of any on-line status application which give 'real time' info about these section controls. I don't think that's nessesary at this moment, the section control systems are fixed. They are testing with a mobile system, but I believe they have promblems with proofing they can make a correct legal measurment.
    So, just 2 GPS coordinates (start en end point) and the allowed speed should be enough (together of course with time passed start point, current time and current position).
    Is that not dynamic data though ?

    Creating POIs is easy but I thought this was dynamic.

    Terran

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    utrecht
    Posts
    7
    No, it isn't dynamic data, I was already affraid not being clear. Start and end points are just POIs, but for section control you need other behavour than normal speed camera's, see my first post.

  10. #10
    Newbie SimonTALM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    30
    Don't know if I'm helping or not here but..

    The "section control" camera are exactly the same as our SPECS speed camera systems - monitoring speed using the distance time relationship but over a long distance 100+ meters. The type of thing that was monitoring the speed on the M6 Thurlwell (sp?) Viaduct when the roadworks were on and appear in many motorway roadworks in the UK.

    I've used the CheckPOInt software with TomTom and it's great for section control but in my experience in a series of cameras it only monitors between the 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th cameras but not between the 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th. Also if there is an odd number of posts it continues monitoring the section for a fixed distance or until the user cancels the monitoring.

    If one of the gurus (Gobby?) looks in to this (along with the tomtom file import) I would suggest looking to see if Freedrive can link with the POIplace website (the database behind CheckPOInt)

    Status: [000000----] 60% - Basic installed and working - Phase 1 nearly there!

    Spec: Epia MII 12000, K301 7" InDash VGA, Jabors VW Interface, Slim Slotload CDRW/DVD, 512MB RAM, 2x40GB 2.5" HDD, 512MB CF Card.
    Planed: WiFi, USB GPS, BlackBox Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •