Christmas Car Project 2008
Well, It's getting to be that time of year again and I've begun planning the decoration of my car. For those of you that missed it last year, here's the thread, and here's the video. I had several requests last year for more information, instructions, etc. so I'm going to document as much as possible this year. I also intend to update my software so that it's a bit more user friendly. I'm thinking about making it available for everyone to use. I would also like to get some opinions and suggestions regarding the setup, so please tell me anything you think I could add, improve, or remove.
Here are some of the goals for this year's project:
- Light sequences controlled by my custom designed software and executed using two Fusion Brains.
- Much more lights than last year.
- More complex sequences using more songs.
- Some sort of an anti-tamper system.
Things that need fixing:
- Last year I had lights close to the ground. These broke quite often and when one bulb breaks, half the strand goes out. I need to figure out a way to fix this.
- Last year I maxed out the charging system on my car. I need to either increase the capacity of my charging system, or lower the power consumption of the lights.
- The lights looked kind of sloppy last year all crisscrossed and dangling. I want to tighten things up and make them look neater.
- The loudspeaker on the roof is nice and loud, but sounds kind of crappy. I would like to replace it with some waterproof speakers of some kind. Maybe motorcycle speaker.
- I had some vandals break off my plastic candy canes and steal them. I need to figure out a way to keep this from happening.
- The amp that powered the loudspeaker isn't working so well anymore. I need to find a new way power it.
Things you can help with:
Being that I am a poor college student, projects like this are difficult to make happen. There are several things that I could use that I don't really have any money to buy, so if you have any of these things laying around and would be willing to donate them, it would be greatly appreciated. Your help making this project a reality will help bring smiles to the faces of thousands of people. :) So please PM me if you would be willing to part with any of the following items, or any other item you think may help:
- LED Christmas lights - These resist break and have much much lower power usage
- Some sort of small amplifier to power the loudspeaker
- A set of waterproof speakers
- Any other Christmas lights or decorations that you think would help