Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: PC Power Switch...HELP!!!!!

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    126

    Unhappy PC Power Switch...HELP!!!!!

    OK, I went out today to Radio Shack looking for power switches for my inverter and PC. My plan is to wire both of the switches to the front dash to turn the inverter on and then the PC. When shutting down, ill hit the PC switch to put it in hibernate and then finally switch off the inverter before leaving the car. Sounds easy enough. My only problem is the PC power switch. Unlike most of the switches that i've seen online and in stores, it has 6 terminals as opposed to the standard 2. Only 4 of the terminals are used, which means I only need a 4 terminal switch. Each side has one yellow wire and one black which I assume are for power and ground, respectively. When hit once, the PC goes into hibernation. When held down for more than 3 seconds it completely shuts off. I've searched this site and Google to no avail. Can anyone help me out and let me know what type of switch this is? Off to watch Sopranos. Thanks for the help in advance.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749
    Sounds like a Double Pole, Double Throw (DP-DT) switch.

    Basically it works like this:

    | | Top
    | | Middle
    | | Bottom

    The left and right sides of the pins are seperate, and are not connected together.

    The switch flips between the middle pins and the top or bottom pins.

    Sometimes you can have a Triple throw switch, where the switch stays in the middle, making it effectively an Off, not connecting to either set of poles.


    The front panel switches on computers these days are single pole (1 pair), single throw, normally open, with momentary action.

    Momentary switches are spring loaded, and you close the contacts by pressing the switch. When you release the switch, the contacts pop back open... hence, they're momentarily closed when used.


    And holding a power switch for more than 3-5 seconds will force a hard power off, which is normal. Every system does this.

    If you press it once for 1-2 seconds, the OS treats this as an ACPI Power Button press, and safely shuts down, suspends, or hibernates, depending on your power management settings.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
    Sounds like a Double Pole, Double Throw (DP-DT) switch.

    Basically it works like this:

    | | Top
    | | Middle
    | | Bottom

    The left and right sides of the pins are seperate, and are not connected together.

    The switch flips between the middle pins and the top or bottom pins.

    Sometimes you can have a Triple throw switch, where the switch stays in the middle, making it effectively an Off, not connecting to either set of poles.


    The front panel switches on computers these days are single pole (1 pair), single throw, normally open, with momentary action.

    Momentary switches are spring loaded, and you close the contacts by pressing the switch. When you release the switch, the contacts pop back open... hence, they're momentarily closed when used.


    And holding a power switch for more than 3-5 seconds will force a hard power off, which is normal. Every system does this.

    If you press it once for 1-2 seconds, the OS treats this as an ACPI Power Button press, and safely shuts down, suspends, or hibernates, depending on your power management settings.
    Thanks for the input. Is there a reason why 4 wires are connected to the switch? Wouldn't a regular 2 terminal switch be adequate. Do you think there would be any adverse effects if I just used a 2 terminal push button monetary?

    Thanks in advance for any further assistance.

  4. #4
    MySQL Error MatrixPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Beach City, Socal
    Posts
    4,053
    How about using a meter and check for continuity when the button is pressed?
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 600E@750/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by lexdiamond20 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Is there a reason why 4 wires are connected to the switch? Wouldn't a regular 2 terminal switch be adequate. Do you think there would be any adverse effects if I just used a 2 terminal push button monetary?

    Thanks in advance for any further assistance.
    I don't know why 4 wires are connected, it depends on how it was wired...


    But I could see a possibility: a dual function power and reset switch.

    You could use a DPDT momentary switch, with the center position being the default, wired like this:

    Code:
    Power	| x
    Power	| |	Reset
    	x |	Reset

    Basically you take the two wires for the power button, and connect it to the two pins on the upper left (the |), and you connect the two wires for the reset button to the two pins on the lower right.

    The upper right and lower left pins (the x) are not connected.


    With a center-operating momentary DPDT switch, the switch stays in the middle during normal operation - eg, normally open.

    Flick the switch up, and you toggle the power button.

    Flick it down, and you toggle the reset button.


    A DPDT Center Off Momentary switch like this would do it:

    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062530


    However, it may be a bit large, being that it's designed to carry 20 amps worth of current.

    One of the mini DPDT switches would do fine, if you can find a center off momentary version.

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
    I don't know why 4 wires are connected, it depends on how it was wired...


    But I could see a possibility: a dual function power and reset switch.

    You could use a DPDT momentary switch, with the center position being the default, wired like this:

    Code:
    Power	| x
    Power	| |	Reset
    	x |	Reset

    Basically you take the two wires for the power button, and connect it to the two pins on the upper left (the |), and you connect the two wires for the reset button to the two pins on the lower right.

    The upper right and lower left pins (the x) are not connected.


    With a center-operating momentary DPDT switch, the switch stays in the middle during normal operation - eg, normally open.

    Flick the switch up, and you toggle the power button.

    Flick it down, and you toggle the reset button.


    A DPDT Center Off Momentary switch like this would do it:

    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062530


    However, it may be a bit large, being that it's designed to carry 20 amps worth of current.

    One of the mini DPDT switches would do fine, if you can find a center off momentary version.
    See I understand what your saying but the weird thing is its just a push button switch with 6 terminals. I could understand if the switch had three different positions. Any suggestions on just having it as a regular switch as in, when the pc is off, the switch is hit and it powers on and when the pc is on, the switch is hit and it goes into hibernate and then shuts down, and finally, when the switch is held for more than a few seconds it does a hard shut down.

    Once again I apologize for all the questions. I tried searching this site and Google with no answers.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by lexdiamond20 View Post
    See I understand what your saying but the weird thing is its just a push button switch with 6 terminals. I could understand if the switch had three different positions. Any suggestions on just having it as a regular switch as in, when the pc is off, the switch is hit and it powers on and when the pc is on, the switch is hit and it goes into hibernate and then shuts down, and finally, when the switch is held for more than a few seconds it does a hard shut down.

    Once again I apologize for all the questions. I tried searching this site and Google with no answers.
    It's hard to say..

    Since you got it at Radio Shack, do you have the part number?

    Or a picture?

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
    It's hard to say..

    Since you got it at Radio Shack, do you have the part number?

    Or a picture?
    No pics or serial sorry. Ill mess around with a combo of configs and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help though.

Similar Threads

  1. Car power supply (battery charger) from old pc supply
    By stimps in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 01:39 AM
  2. Need wiring help for 2005 Grand Prix.
    By derekmac in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 10:42 PM
  3. FAQ: Power Supplies Explained (Part 1)
    By Bugbyte in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 08:45 AM
  4. pc wont power off with m2atx
    By jammy-dodger in forum Newbie
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 02:01 PM
  5. Power Inverter Switch
    By ironic in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 06:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •