Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Compact Flash Hard Drive Issues

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7

    Compact Flash Hard Drive Issues

    I have a via pc2500 board and have tried to install XP on a compact flash card without success. I am using a CF to IDE adapter and an A-data CF 266X 4GB card. I installed XP on a hard drive, installed my software, and EWF. I then used Symantec Ghost to perform a Disk to Disk copy. I then disconnected the hard drive.

    I get an error message to insert a bootable disk. If I put the compact flash card in my other computers CF USB reader all files appear to be present. I tried installing XP directly to the CF card and I get a Blue Screen upon reboot.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Paul

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate roadhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    291
    I'm about to go down the same route - my HDD has just failed after 2 1/2 years of service.
    This page deals with it - the paragrah titled "Deployment". I think the tool you need is called bootprep.exe.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2
    Hi ,you have to install XP directly to your CF card try to use bootable CD or USBCD.
    Most of the CF to IDE adapters are by default : CF is master make shure your HDD is configured to slave.I recommend switching off the CF power and removing the second device from the same IDE channel try to move your HDD to second IDE ch.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by roadhog View Post
    I'm about to go down the same route - my HDD has just failed after 2 1/2 years of service.
    This page deals with it - the paragrah titled "Deployment". I think the tool you need is called bootprep.exe.

    roadhog,
    I used a Windows 98 boot disk because my card is formated in FAT32. I am using FAT32 because the card is 4GB. My RAMDrive happens to be C. A letter does not appear to be assigned to my CF card. When I try to run FDisk I receive the following message: "error reading fixed disk". I am not sure how to do the format and then bootprep.exe.

    Quote Originally Posted by alexton View Post
    Hi ,you have to install XP directly to your CF card try to use bootable CD or USBCD.
    Most of the CF to IDE adapters are by default : CF is master make shure your HDD is configured to slave.I recommend switching off the CF power and removing the second device from the same IDE channel try to move your HDD to second IDE ch.
    alexton,
    I do not have my hard drive connected. My CF to IDE adapter is set to master. My BIOS is able to see the drive. When I adjust the jumper the BIOS is no longer able to see the CF card, so I am confident that part is correct. I do have a setting for power 3.3V or 5V. I did not notice a difference when adjusting this jumper. I also just noticed a jumper for FDD power or IDE cable power. Right now I have FDD power connected. Do you recomend I remove the power and change the jumper?


    Thanks guys,
    Paul

  5. #5
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    you really shouldn't install directly to the CF card because it'll be extremely slow. just install to a HDD, configure your system, install software, then with WinPE or BartPE format the CF card, use bootprep (if you're using FAT32), and xcopy the OS over to the CF card.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by SFiorito View Post
    you really shouldn't install directly to the CF card because it'll be extremely slow. just install to a HDD, configure your system, install software, then with WinPE or BartPE format the CF card, use bootprep (if you're using FAT32), and xcopy the OS over to the CF card.
    SFioritio,

    I am using WinPE 2.0. For some reason the CF card does not show up under diskpart using the list disk command. Subsequently list volume does not display a drive letter for the compact flash drive. The CF card does not appear to have a drive letter associated with it. When I launch Ghost32 version 11.0.2 under WinPE I do see both my hard disk and compact flash card as two drives.

    Any suggestions of how to run Bootprep when the command line does not have a drive letter assigned to the CF card?

    Thanks!
    Paul

  7. #7
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    Does the BIOS properly identify the card? Does the CF card show as a removable drive in Windows Explorer when connected via the CF-IDE adapter?

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by SFiorito View Post
    Does the BIOS properly identify the card? Does the CF card show as a removable drive in Windows Explorer when connected via the CF-IDE adapter?
    Bios lists the drive as "[]" without the quotes. At the status screen after the bios the drive is regonized properly.

    Within Windows I have only used a USB memory card reader. Using a memory card reader the drive shows up as removable. I thought this was due to the card being used through the USB reader. I have read several posts from people who's cards are removable and bootprep works.

    I reformated the CF card in another PC using FAT32 with 32 byte allocation size. With the hard drive connected WinPE 2.0 was still unable to see the CF card. I removed the hard drive and the CF card was recoginzed as the C drive. When trying to run boot prep i receive the message that "Unable to find file specified bootprep.exe."

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Paul

  9. #9
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    do you have bootprep on your WinPE disk or the CF card?

    How was the CF-IDE adapter connected when it wasn't being recognized? I think typically most of them don't have primary/slave jumpers on them so they need to be on their own IDE channel or as a master drive. I can't remember since it's been a while since I've used a CF-IDE adapter.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by SFiorito View Post
    do you have bootprep on your WinPE disk or the CF card?

    How was the CF-IDE adapter connected when it wasn't being recognized? I think typically most of them don't have primary/slave jumpers on them so they need to be on their own IDE channel or as a master drive. I can't remember since it's been a while since I've used a CF-IDE adapter.
    I have bootprep saved to a floppy so that I would not have to rebuild my WinPE image. I tried copying it to the X: drive with the same results.

    The one I have has a jumper setting for Master/Single and one for Slave. When it was not recognized the Hard Drive was connected via SATA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. $44.99 Olympus S-HD-100 40GB External Hard Drive
    By michael_16j in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 10:14 AM
  2. usb flash drive issues??
    By djmickyg in forum Hardware Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 11:27 PM
  3. Compact Flash card operating range
    By knubile in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 03:13 PM
  4. Flash hard drive on ebay
    By Mp3 V in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-16-2002, 12:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •