Are there any Powered USB 2.0 Hubs floating around that people recommend for CarPC application? Will anything do?
The application is like this:
* CarPC in the Boot (ie the Trunk) - USB WiFi, USB GPS Local
* In the Dash I have USB requirements for:
* USB Touchscreen Overlay for Factory Screen (Australian BA Falcon - Touchkit 4-Wire resistive with 70mA typical, 100mA Max)
* USB Slot Load DVD (~450mA)
* USB Bluetooth (?? 50mA best, 220mA worst?)
* (Optional) USB Thumb Drive
(A) You can see that I'd reduce cabling if I put a USB Hub up the front (The wireless unit is compelling, but still needs to be powered, and the price hurts) then run a single USB line to it, and
(B) You can see that the USB Slot Drive alone would consume the power budget of a non-powered USB Device (which is 5 x 100mA in total). Which means I'd need to power the hub itself.
Is there a best-practice for doing this? Do i even attempt to run this direct from the vehicle power supply? Or is it best to power this with an additional power line from the carPC DC-DC smart power supply?
Either way, does anyone have any advice on a suitable USB Powered Hub? I am assuming they'll all take 5V DC input.
And yes, I am guilty as charged of semi-blatant paralleling of the Wireless USB Hub thread (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...bs-anyone.html)