**Please help!! disk drive/windows issue
Thank you for looking!
I have an external USB DVD drive (see below) that I'm having issues with and can find no solution to the problem. Even worse, is that the problem is intermittent and I can find absolutely no pattern correlating to the issue. Here are the steps leading up until now:
1. First plugged in the drive; worked and formatted windows
2. Loaded Included drivers disk from Intel for the mobo
3. Updated windows via windows update (look, a palindrome!)
4. Installed RR and USB wireless network adapter (everything still working fine)
5. One day, the drive is no longer recognized.
6. 12" USB cable and separate 5V power (verified with DMM)
7. Drive works 100% on other computers
8. Everything else works fine on carputer
9. Drive SHOWS UP IN BIOS but not explorer.exe
10. Uninstalled/rebooted all USB controllers/ root hubs (no change)
11. Drive has no separate drivers: plug n play
Based on the fact that the drive works on other computers and that it shows up in the BIOS on the carputer, I am assuming its a software issue (with windows?).
More weird info:
Sometimes, when only using the USB power, the drive will show up. BUT, when a disk is inserted and the drive spins up, nothing happens, and sometimes the drive will not show up after doing this. I'm confident the drive has enough power. I really think its a Windows issue.
can anybody help? I'm about ready to give up.
toshiba 160GB HDD
drive: Teac DW-224SL-R
Bought it all assembled from Mo-Co-So.com