Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Camera recommendation and camera placement help.

  1. #1
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603

    Camera recommendation and camera placement help.

    I have slowly started to build the camera system for my car, but have questions on cameras and placement. The side cameras are easy. I was going to use these plus a set of illuminaters to add good night coverage.




    They will be stacked on each other on where the mirrors use to be or should I maybe try something different?

    I have also started to become worried about headlights. If they shine directly into the camera, the image is of course whitened out. My idea was to mount the cameras up higher. Like on the roof area, that would mean small cameras that are not obvious. Anyone have other ideas on how I can avoid the white out, but still have my cameras in normal areas.

    Also what is the widest angle camera I can buy, can some post up an example camera? Reason I ask is because for the front camera, I want to show as much as the road, but also show the sides of the truck in one single camera. Reason being is that so when some side swipes me, it will be caught on camera and recorded. My idea was to get a wide angle camera and mount it on the roof, like in the middle of the car, so it gets alot of area. I am just not sure what camera to get. Any help would be appreciated,
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    28
    I'm interested in other people's ideas and USB cameras they have bought for back up camera and mounting. I'm looking for something that is wide lens (fish eye), flat/small (easier to mount) around license plate and IR (see in the dark). Is there a model one that someone can recommend?

  3. #3
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    from my experience, the wide angles are actually a bad idea unless youre just using the camera for fun. the wide angle screws up your depth perception and makes it impossible to use as a backup camera.

    and the best spot for a rear camera is up high, angled downward. i have mine on the license plate, and its not ideal (wide angle too, its honestly completely useless)

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    28
    Is yours Infrared? If you didn't have the wide angle, do you think it would it be fine on the license plate?

    If I can't put it where the license plate is, the only other place is where my lock for the trunk is..... Do you know of one that is small enough to fit in the a small lock cylinder that is USB and IR?

  5. #5
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    night time with cars going by is the worst area for a camera-- there is almost nothing you can do to get amazing pictures at night with headlights around you.

    i think that ir is going to be useless for rear view cameras, in most cases, a bullet camera should work fine, and would be easier to mount.

    in a city area, the ir is just going to bounce of the surrounding cars, complicating the problem of not being able to see.

    also, i have not been convinced that ir on a car is that best idea-- at least when there is any visible light to the naked eye (people pass you wondering why your mirrors are glowing red...distracting them from the road). if you can use higher quality ir led's that are not human eye visible, it should take care of that problem(though they're not cheap).

    then there is the lens--so far, auto iris lenses do best at changing contrasts(at night, as headlights sweep across view), simply becaue they block out the light that is not needed. the problem though is that these are large and bulky compared to auto contrast cameras like what you posted above. but auto contrast cameras always have the same amount of light going into the lens, and the camera chip/software compensates. auto iris lenses physically change the amount of light going into the lens to correct the problem.

    for my own car, i would go with 3/4 bullet cameras with about a 3mm lens, which is relativly wide angle, but will give great coverage.

  6. #6
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wide angle lens is best for surveillance, not as a backup camera because you need good depth perception for that. My incar security camera has a 3mm lens, and it works perfect. Compared to my old 6mm lens, the extra viewability is much improved. Those IR emitters dont seem very powerful if you are going to try to illuminate the surroundings. Seems to be more like for indoor use. Get a low lux camera, like 0.5 lux or below and you should be able to see just fine in the dark.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    28
    Do you recommend a website that has USB cameras that have specs that you can compare such as LUX and Focal Length?

  8. #8
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    i mounted mine by my license plate because i really dont have any other choice. if it were a normal 90deg view, it probably would be somewhat better, but i know its never really good unless you get the camera up high angled down.

  9. #9
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by hehaha View Post
    I'm interested in other people's ideas and USB cameras they have bought for back up camera and mounting. I'm looking for something that is wide lens (fish eye), flat/small (easier to mount) around license plate and IR (see in the dark). Is there a model one that someone can recommend?
    I am too, although I am not using USB. I am more interested in what they did for waterproofing.

    Quote Originally Posted by trader007 View Post
    from my experience, the wide angles are actually a bad idea unless youre just using the camera for fun. the wide angle screws up your depth perception and makes it impossible to use as a backup camera.

    and the best spot for a rear camera is up high, angled downward. i have mine on the license plate, and its not ideal (wide angle too, its honestly completely useless)
    Thats what I think too.... It would also get a great view of the car behind and also the driver in the car if the camera is raised. But also, I have to keep the car looking sleek, so I do not want big bulky cameras on my roof. One thing I can maybe do is buy a pinhole camera that is very tiny, then use illuminaters maybe in the lift gate to give the pin hole night vision. As for the front, I can also use a pinhole camera too, set farther back on the roof, so I can get the front and the sides of the front all with one cam.

    Quote Originally Posted by hehaha View Post
    Is yours Infrared? If you didn't have the wide angle, do you think it would it be fine on the license plate?

    If I can't put it where the license plate is, the only other place is where my lock for the trunk is..... Do you know of one that is small enough to fit in the a small lock cylinder that is USB and IR?
    I have honestly never seen a USB camera for reverse. Remember most other cars do not use a PC so the ones I am finding are composite.

    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    night time with cars going by is the worst area for a camera-- there is almost nothing you can do to get amazing pictures at night with headlights around you.

    i think that ir is going to be useless for rear view cameras, in most cases, a bullet camera should work fine, and would be easier to mount.

    in a city area, the ir is just going to bounce of the surrounding cars, complicating the problem of not being able to see.

    also, i have not been convinced that ir on a car is that best idea-- at least when there is any visible light to the naked eye (people pass you wondering why your mirrors are glowing red...distracting them from the road). if you can use higher quality ir led's that are not human eye visible, it should take care of that problem(though they're not cheap).

    then there is the lens--so far, auto iris lenses do best at changing contrasts(at night, as headlights sweep across view), simply becaue they block out the light that is not needed. the problem though is that these are large and bulky compared to auto contrast cameras like what you posted above. but auto contrast cameras always have the same amount of light going into the lens, and the camera chip/software compensates. auto iris lenses physically change the amount of light going into the lens to correct the problem.

    for my own car, i would go with 3/4 bullet cameras with about a 3mm lens, which is relativly wide angle, but will give great coverage.
    OH boy, you wrote a big one, lol....

    I agree, but I do think mounting the camera high up like trader suggested will help because the headlight will not hit head one to the camera.

    I may go with bullet cameras, in combination with IR illuminaters, although I do not think I will need the illuminaters in the city.

    Well actually the I/R red glow will simply act as lighting to identify where my car is, like parking lights. They would now see the sides of my car, since the Durango does not have side parking lights. I will not have any facing forward since the headlights are on anyways.

    I wonder what Honda is using on the concept I saw on their car. They had cameras instead of mirrors, and they were very small and sleek.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #10
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by trader007 View Post
    i mounted mine by my license plate because i really dont have any other choice. if it were a normal 90deg view, it probably would be somewhat better, but i know its never really good unless you get the camera up high angled down.
    Silly, mount the camera near the third tail light on your truck. If you angle it correctly, not only would you see the rear, but also the sides of the rear. Mind you anything shorter then the bed would not be seen though.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless cameras / running camera with engine off?
    By Pseudo Nim in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
  2. Wireless cameras / running camera with engine off?
    By Pseudo Nim in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 08:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •