Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: YAJWB Yet Another Jeep Wrangler Build

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate Hopperhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    88

    YAJWB Yet Another Jeep Wrangler Build

    So I have a Jeep Wrangler Willys addition. Possibly the worst choice for a car PC choice for anyone interested. The main reasons that it stinks is there is very little good points in the car to make it a viable solution.
    The first main problem is the 1.5 DIN radio. This means you simply cannot easily put a touchscreen in the dash without modifying the dash cluster. And trying to find a place for a 7" in the wrangler is a joke. Its pretty much on the dash.. or under it.
    The next issue is the fact the floor is a furnace. So if you thought you were going to install a car computer or laptop on the floor of the Jeep Wrangler without a heat shield, think again. While there is plenty of places to route wires or connect power, there is limited space.
    So, here I am... I decided on the Lilliput 629GL. And I am running a laptop because of ease of access. Still dont know exactly how I am going to go about this but figured I would start by publically announcing my intentions. By the way... Because it is a Jeep Willys, I dont want to screw up anything stock. I want to use my stock Head Unit and speakers. Its a soft top so I dont care about sound quality and it must be secure and hidden so it doesn't dissapear. While I live in a fairly obscure part of the world, the NY in me says.. make it hard to take. So that is what I will do hopefully. Stock everything. What think?
    Centrafuse 3.1
    Garmin Mobile PC
    GPS, OBDII, Lilliput 629GL, Nightvision integrated video,
    Other fun stuff in works.

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate Hopperhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    88
    Having increasing trouble trying to find a mounting place for the LCD screen. Location A might be good but would mean that I would either have to hide it by making it move or hide it with servos somehow (Alot of work) or location B might be okay too if there were enough space. the Jeep really stinks for available space. Especially when you dont want to destroy OEM dash. Any other ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Centrafuse 3.1
    Garmin Mobile PC
    GPS, OBDII, Lilliput 629GL, Nightvision integrated video,
    Other fun stuff in works.

  3. #3
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    my vote goes to location A-- this will be the easiest, for both the install, and to remove, and hide when needed.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Morgantown WV. USA
    Posts
    118
    Aww I thought this was a real willys, not a Crysler jeep

    I agree place A would work the best. Though I would just rip out the radio and use a pop out ^^

    Mage
    =Cars=-
    2001 Kia Optima, V6 4matic fully loaded SE W00t! soon to have a Car pc.

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate Hopperhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mage View Post
    Aww I thought this was a real willys, not a Crysler jeep

    I agree place A would work the best. Though I would just rip out the radio and use a pop out ^^

    Mage
    Heh.. Yeah I know I know.. its an X series Wrangler with a bunch of stickers on it.. but... it is the willys edition so :P

    I have thought about this for a long while and dont want to use location A because of visibility issues as well as having to remove it all of the time to avoid possible theft. Plus, in Location B I can secure it in a way that doesn't compromise the OEM looks. Will know more soon
    Thanks for input...
    Centrafuse 3.1
    Garmin Mobile PC
    GPS, OBDII, Lilliput 629GL, Nightvision integrated video,
    Other fun stuff in works.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    97
    I beg to differ, I think these cars would be easy to put in a screen.. Of course, anyone on this forum considering doing a carpc realizes it requires some hacking.. If that wasn't the case, we'd all have alpine/pioneer units.. Right?

    These cars are very easy to work on because they don't have much going on (like jap/german cars). All the panels just pop out, and the carpets come out easily to hide wires. I'm telling you i've worked on many cars and chrysler's are VERY easy compared to the rest.

    My recommendation would be to remove the vents, and use that space along with the stock HU space to put in a 7" touch screen..

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate Hopperhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by slaya786 View Post
    I beg to differ, I think these cars would be easy to put in a screen.. Of course, anyone on this forum considering doing a carpc realizes it requires some hacking.. If that wasn't the case, we'd all have alpine/pioneer units.. Right?

    These cars are very easy to work on because they don't have much going on (like jap/german cars). All the panels just pop out, and the carpets come out easily to hide wires. I'm telling you i've worked on many cars and chrysler's are VERY easy compared to the rest.

    My recommendation would be to remove the vents, and use that space along with the stock HU space to put in a 7" touch screen..
    This would have been my favorite option as well. However, as said in first post, I have to try and keep this as stock as possible as it will be worth more money in the future because of it.
    The whole 1.5 DIN thing is the killer. If the only thing in the way was the bezel, I would just get another from the junkyard or whatever. But even if... I would still have to hack apart the whole dash structure to make it work.
    One option not yet mentioned would be to float it above the rear-view but... I am not really a fan of the placement.
    Thanks for the response though!
    Centrafuse 3.1
    Garmin Mobile PC
    GPS, OBDII, Lilliput 629GL, Nightvision integrated video,
    Other fun stuff in works.

  8. #8
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    97
    Hey, i'm sure you did, but did you pop off the bezel and see whats going on back there?

    I've noticed that in chrysler's (maybe not in your's) that the ducts going upto the the vents sit pretty far back, meaning that you'd have enough space to sit your screen without cutting the ducts.

    Though, the structure itself, the frame I guess you can call it behind the bezel will not be wide enough, so you would have to cut into it in certain spots giving you enough access to sit your screen in.

    This could very possibly be done in a way that you could revert to stock without a problem.

    If that doesn't work, why not try use a flip out as mentioned?

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate Hopperhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by slaya786 View Post
    Hey, i'm sure you did, but did you pop off the bezel and see whats going on back there?

    I've noticed that in chrysler's (maybe not in your's) that the ducts going upto the the vents sit pretty far back, meaning that you'd have enough space to sit your screen without cutting the ducts.

    Though, the structure itself, the frame I guess you can call it behind the bezel will not be wide enough, so you would have to cut into it in certain spots giving you enough access to sit your screen in.

    This could very possibly be done in a way that you could revert to stock without a problem.

    If that doesn't work, why not try use a flip out as mentioned?
    Flip outs block the vents :S Its too hot down here. like 96 degrees today. And top doesn't come down often because of the baby. Lots of contributing factors and no minivan to put everything in yet... hehehe Oh! Also, in order to replace the head unit (which sounds good in theory) there is alot of extra space on the sides to fill, then there is the ripping apart the wiring and finding a place to mount amps to replace the one in the HU, then there is the radio need for the wifey who may not be able to figure it all out. As said, lost of contributing factors but I think I have a solution with location B. If I cut the bottom of a replacement bezel off, I could mount the screen in the dash at base of the shifter. It is accessible and if hand is resting on shifter, you cna reach out a finger and work controls really easy.
    Centrafuse 3.1
    Garmin Mobile PC
    GPS, OBDII, Lilliput 629GL, Nightvision integrated video,
    Other fun stuff in works.

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    97
    i'd go with location B too. If you keep your stock HU, how are you going to play the songs off your computer? does the HU have an AUX in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
  2. First CarPC Build
    By Badams in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 10:22 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 09:31 AM
  4. Jeep Liberty Project
    By BugNuker in forum Newbie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
  5. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •