Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Webcam recording - need some advice and tips

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate BADMOPAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sokolov, Czech Republic
    Posts
    114

    Webcam recording - need some advice and tips

    After few months I'm turning back to idea using a web camera for front view recording. Right now I'm testing Logitech C310 and Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 with MiniCam, video samples will follow. At this time IMHO have both too much memory consumption so I'm trying to lover resolution and fps, but I don't know the exact values. My goal is being able to watch the video at home on 40" screen. Could somebody tell me how to set resolution,fps and video coding ?
    And let me ask one more question guys. What webcam do you use in your car?
    I don't wanna be a product of my environment.
    I want my environment to be product of me.

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by BADMOPAR View Post
    After few months I'm turning back to idea using a web camera for front view recording. Right now I'm testing Logitech C310 and Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 with MiniCam, video samples will follow. At this time IMHO have both too much memory consumption so I'm trying to lover resolution and fps, but I don't know the exact values. My goal is being able to watch the video at home on 40" screen. Could somebody tell me how to set resolution,fps and video coding ?
    And let me ask one more question guys. What webcam do you use in your car?
    Take a look at my videos

    Lifecam HD-5000 720P @ 30FPS CarPC Webcam Car - Daytime Front
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VuF8MQeiM

    Lifecam Cinema 720P @ 30FPS CarPC Webcam Car - Daytime Rear
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7BsPtwwDp8

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    VegasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    604
    Just keep in mind that the TOTAL bandwidth available on the USB 2.0 bus is 60MB per second. That's shared by all devices. An uncompressed 1080p 24bpp 30fps video source will generate close to 145MB per second all by itself. So the video codec you choose, is critical to getting good capture performance, especially if you plan to run more than one camera. Also keep in mind that ANY USB solution is going to be dependent on the ,main processor and memory for encoding, so expect it to impact the performance of your system one way or another.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate BADMOPAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sokolov, Czech Republic
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by vinchan View Post
    Take a look at my videos

    Lifecam HD-5000 720P @ 30FPS CarPC Webcam Car - Daytime Front
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VuF8MQeiM

    Lifecam Cinema 720P @ 30FPS CarPC Webcam Car - Daytime Rear
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7BsPtwwDp8
    WOW,it looks very nice. Your computer must be pretty fast

    ---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy View Post
    Just keep in mind that the TOTAL bandwidth available on the USB 2.0 bus is 60MB per second. That's shared by all devices. An uncompressed 1080p 24bpp 30fps video source will generate close to 145MB per second all by itself. So the video codec you choose, is critical to getting good capture performance, especially if you plan to run more than one camera. Also keep in mind that ANY USB solution is going to be dependent on the ,main processor and memory for encoding, so expect it to impact the performance of your system one way or another.
    OK, and what's your coding recommendation for quad-core AMD Phenom X4 9350e + 3GB RAM?
    I don't wanna be a product of my environment.
    I want my environment to be product of me.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy View Post
    Just keep in mind that the TOTAL bandwidth available on the USB 2.0 bus is 60MB per second. That's shared by all devices. An uncompressed 1080p 24bpp 30fps video source will generate close to 145MB per second all by itself. So the video codec you choose, is critical to getting good capture performance, especially if you plan to run more than one camera. Also keep in mind that ANY USB solution is going to be dependent on the ,main processor and memory for encoding, so expect it to impact the performance of your system one way or another.
    Indeed, that's why I choose 720P recording without sound.
    My MSI PR210 laptop with 2.2GHz CPU runs well on it.
    The codec I use is PICVideo.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    VegasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by BADMOPAR View Post
    WOW,it looks very nice. Your computer must be pretty fast

    ---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------



    OK, and what's your coding recommendation for quad-core AMD Phenom X4 9350e + 3GB RAM?
    My recommendation? Anything that doesn't cause it to burst into flames! I'd say you have all the power necessary to do just about whatever you want. However, I will point out that even with that much power, you can still wind up with codecs that don't work. My development box is a 3gz quad-core Intel with 4gb Ram, but there are still certain video codecs (Microsoft RLE comes to mind) that will just about bring it to it's knees. Admittedly, most of the offenders are antiquated and not used much anymore, but for a newbie just getting started, they might stumble upon one and think it would work.

    The best part about it is there are a LOT of choices out there, so you have the opportunity and flexibility to experiment and tweak your system for the performance and video quality you desire. It's part of what makes this hobby fun, don't you know.

    VegasGuy

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    206
    Vinchan, I noticed the video seems slightly sped up. Do you know why this is? I'm assuming it's not the cameras as they are different and both doing the same thing but still curious. Otherwise, video looks great. This is very helpful as I'm looking for a webcam to record HD vid from the windshield of my jeep while offroading...

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by booksix View Post
    Vinchan, I noticed the video seems slightly sped up. Do you know why this is? I'm assuming it's not the cameras as they are different and both doing the same thing but still curious. Otherwise, video looks great. This is very helpful as I'm looking for a webcam to record HD vid from the windshield of my jeep while offroading...
    Wow! You're the only one who notices that.
    I have no idea why the video sped up a little bit.

    Since you are about to do the HD recording via webcam, let me give you one suggestion

    1. No autofocus function needed - HD webcam nowaday always come with autofocus. However, you will find the cam zoom in and zoom out a lot. Even though you disable it manually, but the setting always resets itself every time when you reboot
    2. If your CPU is not that fast, 720P is enough.

    I found only Microsoft HD-3000 that is HD (720P@30FPS) capable, and does not autofocus. Moreover, the price is very reasonable.

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate BADMOPAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sokolov, Czech Republic
    Posts
    114
    I was thinking that speed up was made intentionally
    I don't wanna be a product of my environment.
    I want my environment to be product of me.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    34
    I hope this isn't a hijack, and I know this thread is a little old, but what type of software or plugin is everyone using, if you're doing an automatic DVR on the carputer? I've been ripping my hair out trying to get Mark's DashCam to work (VegasGuy). It looks awesome, but I can't get it to run and have all but given up on it. I see that some other people are running MiniCam but it looks like they're doing it outside of their FrontEnd (mine being Centrafuse). I don't mind doing that if it works, but was curious what everyone else is running. I'd like to: Start my car and have one or two webcams automatically start recording to the HD as soon as the PC is done booting, then write a certain number of files (more based on time than file numbers) and then start writing over in a loop, DVR style. On top of that, a GPS Overlay. DashCam does all of this....I just can't get it running and really have nothing else to try to get it going.

Similar Threads

  1. One-Click WebCam Recording!
    By Prefect in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1015
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM
  3. Newbie! Need some advice/tips.
    By DragonCustoms in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 06:54 AM
  4. anyone with some advice/tips?
    By CyberManiaK in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2006, 08:23 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 09:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •