Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: For people who installed LCD in their car; What are these called?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010

    Exclamation For people who installed LCD in their car; What are these called?

    I will be installing a screen in dash. And I wanted to know how people usually mount the Lcd buttons.

    I need sort of small push buttons for this, right? maybe something like a calculator?

    I want to mount these separate and make them look OEM or stock, like they were put there by the factory. So I also want them to illuminate the same color as other buttons in dash.

    But the important thing right now is to find out what these type of buttons are called.

    You can see them in these pictures.


  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate mayhembdm666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    Surprised no one has answered this one yet?

    they are known as "Tactile Momentary Push Button Switch"
    *4-pin Surface Mount*

    You should find them at any electronics store otherwise its just a usual Momentary Push switch.

    Web Page:
    Last edited by mayhembdm666; 12-04-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
    Base System = Raspberry Pi
    Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Seeing as they are just buttons you could reuse that panel just relocated, then you just need new button caps and the correct colour light..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Is it possible to remove the button panel (ribbon) from the primary circuit board, so the button panel is not utilised at all - then still access the "same" screen settings by programming them into your Windows (or Linux) software menu system instead?

    For example, your Component IN (for a rear view camera) can still be accessed by setting a button on the menu system to lauch an App that streams the input from this video port. its (relatively) easy to mount a 7" screen into a standard 7" double-DIN fascia, but then theres nowhere for these button panels to go - unless you do start hacking up the fascia, so the buttons can still be accessed underneath, but thats alot of extra effort, plus making-right of the fascia afterwards, so it all looks tidy and OEM.

Similar Threads

  1. What is this car part called?
    By nivanov in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 01:03 PM
  2. How is this car called in the U.S. ?
    By kraft in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 01:51 AM
  3. HD or DAB as its called in Uk , can i get it to work?
    By mrcgibb in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
  4. What is this called?
    By Cheekz185 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 06:36 PM
  5. sorry but what is this called...
    By dodguy in forum Newbie
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 09:09 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts