Some basic Questions on new install (mobo, etc...)
OK - I am planning my first carputer install, and have some basic Questions:
Lets assume get a mobo, HD, and touchscreen.
1) Will the touchscreen have a VGA input, that the mobo will conenct to?
2) Do I use the onboard sound card or get a higher quality (soundblaster, etc)?
3) Are there sound cards that have RCA outputs, or would I just use the 1/8" audio out jack?
4) It eems difficult to operate a PC via a touchscreen only - do most of you also have a keyboard in your cars?
Search/Read through the forums and google. All of these have been answered in the past. Good luck with your project.
1. Depends if you get a touch screen with VGA input or not. Both types are made.
Originally Posted by -al-
2. If you want better sound than you will probably get another sound card. Most onboard sucks.
3. Some cards come with breakout boxes that have RCA outs, but most don't. And if they do have them on the card most likely it is made for high end audio editors. I have used the 1/8" jack for all my setups and have had no issues. I think a large majority of people use the same on these forums.
4. I have a keyboard but only use it for GPS and MAME. Other than that I use either my touchpad, Creative remote, or powermate. IF I did have a touch screen I would prolly get rid of all control devices but the keyboard.
I hope these answers point you in the right direction in future searches. Good luck with your setup!!!
Maybe, depends on your wallet.
Originally Posted by -al-
Onboard should work fine.... and soundblaster doesnt always fall into the "best" catagory...
The only cards that do are the ones that have the large output box type thing (Hercules GameSurround iirc) none will have them right on the back of the card since theyre too large. Go to radioshack/futureshop/best buy and you can get 1/8" -> RCA adapters.
Its easy for the basic stuff, like controling winamp. My system wont be touchscreen based at first (too fscking expensive for me) but will instead have a set of buttons connected to the serial port for only winamp control (play next prev, etc) and maybe some nav arrows on it too. Then ill order a very small keyboard for searching for track names and all that.
This is not true...Some do have RCA on the back of them...And as I stated before they are usually the high end cards...
Originally Posted by theedge
Thanks for the info! I get the feeling there is a large price difference between touch and non-touch screens, although I have not actually priced them yet. I looked at the high quality sound cards (post above), and they look great - not too expensive either. I wonder if there would actually make a difference in a car system??
I ran onboard sound for a while. I hated every second of it. Bought a Audigy 2 on ebay, and I love it. I do beleive Defiler runs an Audigy 2 as well. A good ammount of member may have em. I recommend you get one if you can install it in your setup. Best damn thing to happen to my audio system.
For touchscreens, think about it. You will have your system running, then you will wondering, "I wonder how it would be with a touchscreen?" Try to save up some more money and get yourself a touchscreen.
Two things I think that will set YOU aside from other carpc's, Touchscreen and a Good sound card.