Need help with Epia sound problems? :(
Nehmiah M 10000
OK. All installed. Hooked up the FM modulator.
Headunit tuned to the station the modulator is set at.
RCAs connected to the modulator.
stereo jack is definatley connected to the motherboard audio out.
Modulator gets power through PC, and is working, as it blanks the background radio to a quite hiss instead of full signal strength.
Via Epia M audio drivers installed.
XP thinks the audio is playing.
Volume is maxed out everywhere.
Nothing coming through the speakers.
Nothing is muted.
Tried searching, nothing suitable came back.
Had something similar a while back with my Epia 800.
It disappeared after some experimenting with muting/demuting and enabling/disabling of sound devices. I do not know what exactly caused the problem.
white bream working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
CARGO = the Car Computer
Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")
I'm going to try removing and installing it first.
Then if that fails, I'll try your trick.
Quick update. Fiddling around replacing drivers etc, using the sound test button in the soundevices control panel, I noticed that I could faintly hear whichever sound I was playing, under the background hiss.
Tomorrow, I'm going to try a set of headphones. If I get good sound through them, I'll have a clue whether it is the modulator or the cable.
If it works OK, I reckon I'll try cable first them modulator.
It dosent sound like this is the problem, but keep in mind the M10000 audio setup is software controlable. You can set the unit for 2, 4 (maybe) or 5.1 , this changes what is coming out of each jack. use the windows sound controle panel.
Believe it or not. I now have sound.
I plugged in a set of headphones, and it worked perfectly.
Tried a different cable to the modulator, and nothing but hiss.
Popped the top off the modulator, and couldn't see any wrong or loose, but started checking the cables in and out.
Phonos where fine.
Power was good. Antenna in/out looked OK, but I gave it a bit of a wiggle. Nothing.
Disconnected the anntenna in/out from the modulator, so that it was completley seperate, and suddenly I had music.
Just to make sure, I paused Winamp. Music stopped.
I started it again, plugged in the antenna connector to the board, and nothing, just static.
Disconnect, and again, I had MP3.
Started looking arround the board again for damaged components etc. Noticed two or three small coils of wire soldered in place, a red one, a green one, and I think a yellow one. I noticed that the red and yellow were very tightly and evenly coiled, but the green one was fanned out.
I diconnected power, and then gently teased the coil back into shap to match the others. Plugged in power, plugged in the antenna, and now I have music.
I've grounded the PSU, and the controlller board to the TFT to the same place as the inverter, but I'm stuff getting hiss. Would have grounded the Epia, but I thought it would have succesfully have been grounded through the PSU.
My one thought about the hiss is that I am picking up interference from the main wiring look behind the dash, as the modulator, 'its power wiring, and audio wiring do run very close to that main loom. Might take a look at that later. Interference isn't terrible, like a slightly off tune FM station, with some minor alternator noise, so I may double check those gounds if moving the wiring doesn't work.
I hae a ground loop isolator, but that didn't really cure things when I had the MK1 in the boot of the car. Grounding everything sorted that out.