Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Vantec Vibration Dampener make fan moist?

  1. #1
    phc
    phc is offline
    Variable Bitrate phc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300

    Vantec Vibration Dampener make fan moist?

    Ok, looking at Vantec's new vibration dampers for the 60 mm fan I am planning on putting in my case. Not sure if it will work, but sounds like a good idea. Anyone try these?

    http://www.vantecusa.com/fan_dampener.html

    But it looks like the dampener will only make my fan moist.

    http://www.hyperdictionary.com/searc...efine=DAMPENER

    I guess I should be looking for vibration damper instead.

    -P

  2. #2
    FLAC aoLhaTer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    1,122
    ...wtf

    i cant tell if this is a really bad joke or youre not a native english speaker and you dont understand the definition

  3. #3
    phc
    phc is offline
    Variable Bitrate phc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by aoLhaTer
    ...wtf

    i cant tell if this is a really bad joke or youre not a native english speaker and you dont understand the definition
    I understand the definition. I was just pointing out the stupid error on Vantec's part. It should be Vibration Damper, not dampener.

    I just found it amazing that they didn't catch it. But most people improperly use the word anyway, so few will actually notice.

    -P

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Atlanta/Augusta, GA
    Posts
    505
    Its a proven fact. Fans sound quieter under water.

  5. #5
    FLAC aoLhaTer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by phc
    I understand the definition. I was just pointing out the stupid error on Vantec's part. It should be Vibration Damper, not dampener.

    I just found it amazing that they didn't catch it. But most people improperly use the word anyway, so few will actually notice.

    -P
    according to merriam webster and dictionary.com dampen means to deaden, soften , diminish, etc
    ive always used dampen in that context
    dont know what youre talking about

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-b...nary&va=dampen
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dampen

  6. #6
    phc
    phc is offline
    Variable Bitrate phc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by aoLhaTer
    according to merriam webster and dictionary.com dampen means to deaden, soften , diminish, etc
    ive always used dampen in that context
    dont know what youre talking about

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-b...nary&va=dampen
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dampen
    Like I said, it's commonly misused. It is a malapropism. The dictionary is wrong, or at least misleading. Sure you can "dampen someone's spirit", but when used in the context of vibration and oscillation, the proper word is damping.

    Everyone of my engineering books, including my "Vibration of Mechanical and Structural Systems" and "Bosch Automotive Handbook" will prove it.

    In any case, as soon as I get my hands on a sound level meter, I'll see if these things actually work and I'll let you know how well they damp.

    -P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •