Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: car battery

  1. #31
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    for those of you who are worried about running down your battery you can always do what I did. I simply use a 450 watt digital voltage inverter. it monitors both reserve voltage and amperage allowing you to program it to shutdown at a specific thresh-hold. I also use 2 batteries the second one is hooked to the inverter with key only in 1 postition : run. I do this through a small device known as a charguing sylonoid. it connects your second battery to your main battery then has a terminal to activate it. if the key is in accessory or crank positions then the second battery is isolated. that way if you do happen to run it down (inverter malfunction etc) your main battery is untouched. by having it activated in run position your alternater will charge the second batter as the car is running. has worked for me for quite a while in my 95 Aerostar van.

    Just my 2 cents

  2. #32
    FLAC FC3S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,040
    WOW

    thread resurrectionn for the loss



    most people use DC-DC psu's, which most have voltage protection, where they shut off when its too low.., but ur first post i think can be forgiven

  3. #33
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    WOW

    thread resurrectionn for the loss



    most people use DC-DC psu's, which most have voltage protection, where they shut off when its too low.., but ur first post i think can be forgiven
    Forgiven? key word here is MOST people use those. not all of us do I got my 450 watt inverter for 25 bucks brand new. had a spare battery siting around anyhow, and it works perfectly for me. Was just posting how I do it with an inverter and I have no worries if it will run my battery down.

    but don't worry I forgive you too

  4. #34
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11
    I'm having a serious power/battery related problem. My CarPC was installed roughly laster July/August. This February my battery died. It was the stock battery on my 04 stratus. When I replaced it I thought I was being smart and replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top. This was in March, and today I went to start my car, and sure enough it was dead.

    I haven't made any hardware/wiring changes in months, so I don't understand how it could have been drained, but even a deep cycle battery like the yellow top should last a hell of a lot longer than 6 months.

    My configuration is roughly like this: cable running from the battery straight to the trunk (fused of course) to a distribution block which then powers my pc, amp, line out converter and xm direct box. All hardware turns on with ignition and shuts off when I turn the car off. Is my problem in my wiring? or am I unlucky as **** with batteries? Should I buy a cheap battery next and see how long it lasts? or try another optima? thanks if anyone can help

  5. #35
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by KyACRASH View Post
    I'm having a serious power/battery related problem. My CarPC was installed roughly laster July/August. This February my battery died. It was the stock battery on my 04 stratus. When I replaced it I thought I was being smart and replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top. This was in March, and today I went to start my car, and sure enough it was dead.

    I haven't made any hardware/wiring changes in months, so I don't understand how it could have been drained, but even a deep cycle battery like the yellow top should last a hell of a lot longer than 6 months.

    My configuration is roughly like this: cable running from the battery straight to the trunk (fused of course) to a distribution block which then powers my pc, amp, line out converter and xm direct box. All hardware turns on with ignition and shuts off when I turn the car off. Is my problem in my wiring? or am I unlucky as **** with batteries? Should I buy a cheap battery next and see how long it lasts? or try another optima? thanks if anyone can help
    Have you tried taking it to have the charging system checked ? maybe its not fully charging your battery and slowly draining it down. I had a similar problem without even having a pc in my car. The daily short trips were not allowing the battery to recover from the drain of the starter pulll when starting the car.

  6. #36
    FLAC FC3S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by alfalpha View Post
    Forgiven? key word here is MOST people use those. not all of us do I got my 450 watt inverter for 25 bucks brand new. had a spare battery siting around anyhow, and it works perfectly for me. Was just posting how I do it with an inverter and I have no worries if it will run my battery down.

    but don't worry I forgive you too
    'cause i need your forgiveness

    inverters are horribly inefficient, and the better inverters (true sine wave) are a lot more expensive than $25, i dont care if its new or not, that makes no real difference

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •