Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Anyone here us an XBOX as the carputer

  1. #1
    Registered User SWYZ721's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    60

    Anyone here us an XBOX as the carputer

    Well anyone?

  2. #2
    FLAC guitar333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    IDAHO
    Posts
    1,112
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

    93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

    90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

  3. #3
    Registered User SWYZ721's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar333
    That isn't really a carputer. I meant modded the XBOX with a new hard drive, runing a different OS, as well as a mod chip so you can play burned games and have a lot of XBOX games on the HD but obviously it's modded so it can be used as a regular computer as well.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by SWYZ721
    That isn't really a carputer. I meant modded the XBOX with a new hard drive, runing a different OS, as well as a mod chip so you can play burned games and have a lot of XBOX games on the HD but obviously it's modded so it can be used as a regular computer as well.
    I have been considering it. The boot time can get pretty low if you use cromwell as the bios and boot from the hard drive. The main thing I'm worried about is sound. I wouldn't use the onboard sound card. I would want to use a usb based solution and I'm not sure how well linux supports them (especially the m-audio based ones). But, it is a really cheap solution and should work pretty well. I'm also concerned about how well cromwell works with a vga monitor.

    Tom
    1993 Probe GT
    Rio Car w/20gb

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by tbdombrosky
    I have been considering it. The boot time can get pretty low if you use cromwell as the bios and boot from the hard drive. The main thing I'm worried about is sound. I wouldn't use the onboard sound card. I would want to use a usb based solution and I'm not sure how well linux supports them (especially the m-audio based ones). But, it is a really cheap solution and should work pretty well. I'm also concerned about how well cromwell works with a vga monitor.

    Tom
    Well, if you were going to be using an xbox already, why not make it easy on yourself and use one of the xbox lcds, the "mobile monitor"s.

    If you did want to use vga, there are converters for the xbox, like this

    I'm trying to go the other way and see if I can use one of these lcds for my epia.

  6. #6
    Newbie motoracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5
    I really considered it, but I want good GPS software and I can't get any of them to work under wine.

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by motoracer
    I really considered it, but I want good GPS software and I can't get any of them to work under wine.
    That was one of my big things too. Are there any good solutions for Linux?
    1993 Probe GT
    Rio Car w/20gb

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate churnopol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware!!!
    Posts
    455
    I'm doing a case mod for my xbox. My next xbox casemod will be for a carpc
    Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
    Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    23
    Hmm. I'm sure this can be done. The Xbox is a computer plain and simple, you just need to modify a bit. There are a ton of tutorials on how to hack your Xbox and add things like RCA audio outputs, usb cables, modchips, ect. There also very cheap (compaired to other computers)

    For sound I found this accessory to help with the audio problem:
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/209498.asp

    Monster cable also makes a good cable. Does anyone have a link to the Xbox monitor? I'd like to see if its modible. Are there any other aspects of a car pc we've overlooked for this mod? You can load up Linux and I think you can get GPS to work (it would take some tweaking though). Throw a mod chip in and anything is possible. Can anyone think of a way to hook this up to a wifi antenna to connect to wireless nodes?

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    23
    Bump. I am highly considering trying this out. Putting USB in this thing isn't too hard (http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/two-usb.php and http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/usb-cable.php are two tutorials I found) and I think the Xbox Linux project (http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/) has come very far in the past few months. Setting up GPS shouldn't be too hard. I would like to try and find a wireless USB adaptor with an antenna out though so I can get on the wireless internet. I also found this (http://www.x2vga.com/) handy device for hooking up RCA audio and a VGA out. Now I just need to find a cheap Xbox and see if it will fit in my car . Can anyone add products they've found that would work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •