Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Digital input on Audigy Series Cards - XMPCR

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162

    Digital input on Audigy Series Cards - XMPCR

    After searching and searching, and advice from others I still was not able to get all the info needed on this...

    Does the stanard Audigy 2 ZS have a digital audio input (I plan to use it for my XMPCR). Also, Does the Audigy 2 ZS allow "upmixing" of the 2 channel digital input stream to an analog 4 channel + Sub mix? I wasn't able to find any info on that from the creative labs website.

    Is there anyone with first hand experience on this, here on this board?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsp6
    After searching and searching, and advice from others I still was not able to get all the info needed on this...

    Does the stanard Audigy 2 ZS have a digital audio input (I plan to use it for my XMPCR). Also, Does the Audigy 2 ZS allow "upmixing" of the 2 channel digital input stream to an analog 4 channel + Sub mix? I wasn't able to find any info on that from the creative labs website.

    Is there anyone with first hand experience on this, here on this board?

    Thanks
    I feel your pain. I modified my XMPCR with the digital SPDIF optical out and was shocked to see how few sound cards have digital inputs. First, to answer your question, the Audigy 2 ZS does NOT have a digital input. I purchased the SoundBlaster MP3+ because it does have a digital input however I have since learned that it can only be used for recording and not for playback. So I went on an internet searching quest and found the Chaintech AV515M. I bought if from Newegg.com for $21 (including shipping). It's a great card for the money and the digital in/out works great with my XMPCR.


    http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/p...No=16&PISNo=57

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by EBJUSTIN
    I feel your pain. I modified my XMPCR with the digital SPDIF optical out and was shocked to see how few sound cards have digital inputs. First, to answer your question, the Audigy 2 ZS does NOT have a digital input. I purchased the SoundBlaster MP3+ because it does have a digital input however I have since learned that it can only be used for recording and not for playback. So I went on an internet searching quest and found the Chaintech AV515M. I bought if from Newegg.com for $21 (including shipping). It's a great card for the money and the digital in/out works great with my XMPCR.

    http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/p...No=16&PISNo=57

    After using it for a while, are you happy using the Chaintech sound card? Just to clarify, does the Chaintech AV515M allow "upmixing" from the digital input stream to 4 channels plus sub? Can it also do that from a analog input source? What about software support for that card? Can you adjust individual audio channel levels and crossover points?

    Thanks for the helpful info.

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsp6
    After using it for a while, are you happy using the Chaintech sound card? Just to clarify, does the Chaintech AV515M allow "upmixing" from the digital input stream to 4 channels plus sub? Can it also do that from a analog input source? What about software support for that card? Can you adjust individual audio channel levels and crossover points?

    Thanks for the helpful info.
    I'm very happy with the Chaintech sound card...go on Newegg.com's site and read the reviews. I haven't tried the card in six channel mode yet but the users manual doesn't give any indication that the six channel mode would not work from the digital input. I'm sure it will work from an analog input. The only digital input limitation stated is "The SPDIF/IN and OPTICAL IN/OUT cannot work simultaneously. Users can only select either one of these two functions to work with at the same time." This shouldn't be a problem for you because you are only using the OPTICAL IN.

    The included software is fairly basic...I don't think you can adjust crossover points. I input two channel audio to a Clarion PEQ460 parametric EQ. The eq has separate front, rear and sub outputs with crossover and fader control.

  5. #5
    Newbie msumr282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Michigan State University
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsp6
    After searching and searching, and advice from others I still was not able to get all the info needed on this...

    Does the stanard Audigy 2 ZS have a digital audio input (I plan to use it for my XMPCR). Also, Does the Audigy 2 ZS allow "upmixing" of the 2 channel digital input stream to an analog 4 channel + Sub mix? I wasn't able to find any info on that from the creative labs website.

    Is there anyone with first hand experience on this, here on this board?

    Thanks

    I have the Audigy 2 ZS PRO and it has the optical input. I plan on using it for my XM with the optical mod. I know you were asking about the standard model though.

  6. #6
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by EBJUSTIN
    I feel your pain. I modified my XMPCR with the digital SPDIF optical out and was shocked to see how few sound cards have digital inputs. First, to answer your question, the Audigy 2 ZS does NOT have a digital input. I purchased the SoundBlaster MP3+ because it does have a digital input however I have since learned that it can only be used for recording and not for playback. So I went on an internet searching quest and found the Chaintech AV515M. I bought if from Newegg.com for $21 (including shipping). It's a great card for the money and the digital in/out works great with my XMPCR.


    http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/p...No=16&PISNo=57
    The ZS is the notebook (PCMCIA) card, right? if so it DOES have optical in AND out....I have one. All it requires is a straight through 1/8" to toslink adapter that can be had from radio shack for about $3.00

    I even emaild SB about this since they said that it does have optic on their web site.

    it may be 1/8" - but optic can come in many different forms.....afterall it is just a very small strand of glass or fiber....they just put the 1/8" jack there for most people ease of use, it's 100% optical

    =]

    I have a chaintech card sitting here as well....just wouldn't work for my set-up.....too tall and since I'm not running a case I wouldn't have a way to secure it to prevent it from falling out
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pomona, CA
    Posts
    456
    does the audigy zs notebook upmix the line in source? be it analog or digital, either source will be stereo. The problem is the upmixing through cmss and allowing output on all channels, and not just the front left and right. Do you know if it upmixes?

Similar Threads

  1. 5.1 channel Sound cards with onboard toslink (not in the add on case)
    By psyclobe in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 12:43 AM
  2. amp with digital input?
    By etrik in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2002, 06:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •