Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Indash slot load DVD HELP!!!!

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    St. louis
    Posts
    32

    Indash slot load DVD HELP!!!!

    I've got a Panasonic SR-8185-C DVD-Rom drive installed in my dash (Iíve Added a pic below)

    Itís got a monster mash of cables and adapters (CRDOM - JAE adapter to a IDE to USB adapter with a 15' USB cable and a 12v to 5v regulator that has never worked)

    All I want is a simple slot loaded DVD with 12v in and USB 1.1 and it to play DVD.

    Any suggestions? What would be really keen is an off the shelf solution that I can modify
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    83
    will USB 1.1 support the needed data transfer rate for smoth DVD playback? I am lucky that i had enough room for a full size DVD/CDrw in my truck so i didnt need any adapters. I am running USB 2.0 and the drive is getting the power from the computers power supply with a homemade extension. Dont know what this can do for your situation but that is another way it could be done. 5 wires in a loom going to the drive for me.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate bjm2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by FAmonmouth
    will USB 1.1 support the needed data transfer rate for smoth DVD playback? I am lucky that i had enough room for a full size DVD/CDrw in my truck so i didnt need any adapters. I am running USB 2.0 and the drive is getting the power from the computers power supply with a homemade extension. Dont know what this can do for your situation but that is another way it could be done. 5 wires in a loom going to the drive for me.
    I was running dvd with usb 1.1 and it is really choppy.
    EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate jzgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakness
    I've got a Panasonic SR-8185-C DVD-Rom drive installed in my dash (Iíve Added a pic below)

    Itís got a monster mash of cables and adapters (CRDOM - JAE adapter to a IDE to USB adapter with a 15' USB cable and a 12v to 5v regulator that has never worked)

    All I want is a simple slot loaded DVD with 12v in and USB 1.1 and it to play DVD.

    Any suggestions? What would be really keen is an off the shelf solution that I can modify

    That is a killer drive....slim and slot load. I've been looking at that one but chose a Pioneer slot load instead (mainly due to price). What about using a firewire card and an ide to FW adapter? That way you don't need that long run of ribbon cable. Also, you wouldn't have the choppy video that USB would provide. I have seen firewire cards at Best Buy for 34 bucks...and I'm sure they're cheaper elsewhere (on-line). I've seen the ide to firewire boxes on eBay and elsewhere. Maybe that would be better?

    - Jeff

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    St. louis
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by jzgt
    That is a killer drive....slim and slot load. I've been looking at that one but chose a Pioneer slot load instead (mainly due to price). What about using a firewire card and an ide to FW adapter? That way you don't need that long run of ribbon cable. Also, you wouldn't have the choppy video that USB would provide. I have seen firewire cards at Best Buy for 34 bucks...and I'm sure they're cheaper elsewhere (on-line). I've seen the ide to firewire boxes on eBay and elsewhere. Maybe that would be better?

    - Jeff
    I would love to get a firewire card but as you can see in my picture i've got limited space and my PCI slot is taken by the vid car what i need to find is a PC/104 Firewire card but I doubt I can. And even then I dont think I can get enough bus power to spin that drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. #6
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    The only way to go for sure is use a long 80 conductor IDE cable.

    I've tried the firewire bridge to IDE and stuff, what a waste of time. The first time I tried the IDE, worked perfect, and I boot off CD to install XP.

    I'm still trying to get a slim laptop drive like yours pictured soon. I had a the regular Pioneer slot load up front.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    St. louis
    Posts
    32
    Yea this S.O.B only works when it wants too. There has to be a solution. I've got about $500 in crap trying to find a solution. I think i'm jus going to go with a mobo with usb 2.0 or firewire or something!

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate SiGmA_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    636
    LESLIEx317537 - You also realize that making a 15' IDE is way way out of spec and might well not work at all. A USB2.0 or Firewire bridge is much easier and requires very little work for most people.. I have two Firewire 400 bridges somewhere at home, but I haven't been able to locate them.. I am guessing they are in a box with random other computer parts, and that means I have a lot of box-hunting to do!
    1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

  9. #9
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    Sigma, search through old threads and you will find out it does work.

    I have long seen many tries and trust me try the 15 foot IDE. People harrassed me until I posted pictures of my setup working awesome. I got it working in March of 2002 and it ran pefect since. Soon to be used in my new car.

    BTW, I sold cables for a while, about 10 of them, I got mine for 16 buks int he city. It was awesome the day I brought it home and it worked. People thought it was amazing. hehehe amazing it is.

    16 buks, boot from cd rom, very easy to run and hide, flat cable. Why bother with anyting else?

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    119
    drop the 5 volt regulator and steal the 5 volts off the hard drive plug. Red wire if i am not mistaken.

    Where can a get a 15' IDE cable?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Just got a slot load dvd
    By bjm2020 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 01:45 PM
  2. NICE SLOT LOAD DVD and CD/RW
    By outragis in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2002, 02:39 PM
  3. FS: Pioneer 16x DVD SlOT LOAD
    By nolmscheid in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2002, 02:31 PM
  4. Pioneer Slot Load DVD Drive Shock Resistant?
    By Bloomk in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2000, 05:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •