Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: why do i have to push the power button after shutdown?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate kalito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    209

    Question why do i have to push the power button after shutdown?

    I upgreated my laptop to xp profecioanl and now evry time i select shut down , it gives me a message "now it is sve to power off you system" but before it didn't do that. it will just shut off...completally.. and on my pc i also have win xp pro. and i don;t have to push the power button after i've selected shutdown... how can i get rid of the option (problem for me) in my lap top

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    try installing a fresh copy of winxp without upgrading. i built alot of computers and never had that problem...only when i upgrade the operating system to xp.

  3. #3
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by kalito
    I upgreated my laptop to xp profecioanl and now evry time i select shut down , it gives me a message "now it is sve to power off you system" but before it didn't do that. it will just shut off...completally.. and on my pc i also have win xp pro. and i don;t have to push the power button after i've selected shutdown... how can i get rid of the option (problem for me) in my lap top
    Try this - support.microsoft

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate kalito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by thanhnguyen510
    try installing a fresh copy of winxp without upgrading. i built alot of computers and never had that problem...only when i upgrade the operating system to xp.
    o no i formatted my HHD and then i intalled the xp pro. that's when i started geting the massage .. i remember i used to do that in an old pc i had with win95

  5. #5
    FLAC Pudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,007
    That's usually a thing with AT motherboards, that would be why it happened on your old pc. Is your new pc AT? or ATX?

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate kalito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge
    That's usually a thing with AT motherboards, that would be why it happened on your old pc. Is your new pc AT? or ATX?
    i don't know what at or atx is? and b/4 i had xp home and it did happend then.. and even when i had winME. why now? how can get rid of that...

  7. #7
    FLAC Pudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,007
    A simple way to check if your board is AT or ATX is to check the cable from the power supply to your motherboard. Here is a side by side comparison http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/build.asp?sect=6&page=6

  8. #8
    cvi
    cvi is offline
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    DK
    Posts
    102
    Pudge: Its a laptop.
    Kalito: check bios settings and windows power management config. And check the link laidback posted to microsoft knowledgebase.

  9. #9
    Raw Wave
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,823
    You should see Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC on your device manager, make sure its enable and no conflict.

    Check the power management in control panel and your BIOS make sure its all looking OK.

    You BIOS should support it since it has worked before

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate kalito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    209
    at the boot up menu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. linking into laptop power button
    By corsamel in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 05:53 AM
  2. Rewiring ATX power button
    By DCC in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 06:17 AM
  3. Relocating computer power button
    By King_Xerxes in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 10:15 PM
  4. Routing power button to front of PC. Can wire be too thick of gauge?
    By LESLIEx317537 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 03:32 PM
  5. PC power button problem
    By BMp3W in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2002, 03:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •