Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: ?'s about Panasonic UJ815B Slim Slot Load CD/DVD Drive

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate tom2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    507

    Question ?'s about Panasonic UJ815B Slim Slot Load CD/DVD Drive

    Does anyone have one of these drives? It's a Panasonic CDRW/DVDRW Slimline, Slot Load drive, model UJ815B.

    http://www.sncomputers.com/index.php...11477280eadf6c

    What I want to know is if the disc loads nicely. By that I mean that does the drive snatch the disc, does it have to be forced to pop into the drive, or does it act like most car CD player and nicely take the disc in after you insert it an inch or two.

    I know this sounds very nit-picky, but the drive is $265, and I don't want to waste that much money to find out. I already wasted $37 on a full size Pioneer slot load that I hate, and I don't want to repeat that experience.

    Thanks!
    Tom
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2112
    Does anyone have one of these drives? It's a Panasonic CDRW/DVDRW Slimline, Slot Load drive, model UJ815B.

    http://www.sncomputers.com/index.php...11477280eadf6c

    What I want to know is if the disc loads nicely. By that I mean that does the drive snatch the disc, does it have to be forced to pop into the drive, or does it act like most car CD player and nicely take the disc in after you insert it an inch or two.

    I know this sounds very nit-picky, but the drive is $265, and I don't want to waste that much money to find out. I already wasted $37 on a full size Pioneer slot load that I hate, and I don't want to repeat that experience.

    Thanks!
    Tom
    Hey Tom,

    What is the model number of your Pioneer? I'm thinking of buying one..

    Thanks
    Jason

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate tom2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by infrared
    Hey Tom,

    What is the model number of your Pioneer? I'm thinking of buying one..

    Thanks
    Jason
    The Pioneer unit that I have is the DVD-120S. I don't like it because you have to push the disc in against mounting pressure. Once the disc is in about 3/4 of the way, the pressure breaks and the disc pops in the rest of the way. I just wanted it to work like most car CD players.

    From what I understand the older model, Pioneer DVD-106S, was much better - at least as far as loading is concerned. But they are hard to find. Just about all the full size slot load DVD drives out there are DVD-120S units.
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

  4. #4
    Newbie xsession_tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    14
    A Panasonic UJ-815-B is on its way to my place...it should arrive sometime after christmas...perhaps I'll have to wait till next year...
    I'll tell you about its slot loading mechanism when I have tested it :-)

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    66
    Bought my slim slot for 135 from a guy on ebay who has sold quite a few of these judging by his feedback.

    I have an Pan CW-81522-B DVD/CDRw Slim Slot. You have to jam the disk in a little more than half way before it sucks it. It takes it fast though so I've just been in the habbit of pushing it in all the way (not waiting for it to suck it in)

    GinoRP
    VIA M-1K Nh; Lilliput 7" Touch; Earthmate GPS; Slim Slot DVD/CDRw; OBD-2.COM; ATI-Pro TV; RF Wireless KB; USB Thumb 802.11b; 7"x3.5"x7" Lexan Case; 40G Laptop HD; PW-70 w/ITPS; Headliner TV Antenna; XPHome; Delorme Streets 2003/Topo USA

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate tom2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by xsession_tim
    A Panasonic UJ-815-B is on its way to my place...it should arrive sometime after christmas...perhaps I'll have to wait till next year...
    I'll tell you about its slot loading mechanism when I have tested it :-)
    Cool! Thanks man.
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

  7. #7
    Newbie xsession_tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    14
    Wow, I'm so happy, 'cause I got my Panasonic UJ-815-B today!
    An early christmas present!
    Can't wait to get home and try it out. I'll let you know how it works. Expect an answer in about seven to eight hours...

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate tom2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by xsession_tim
    Wow, I'm so happy, 'cause I got my Panasonic UJ-815-B today!
    An early christmas present!
    Can't wait to get home and try it out. I'll let you know how it works. Expect an answer in about seven to eight hours...
    Just out of curiosity, where'd you get it? How much was it?

    Best price I can find is $258+shipping from www.sncomputers.com.
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

  9. #9
    Newbie xsession_tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    14
    Tested it and it works like that:
    You put in the disc until its's about 2/3 in and then the drive pulls it in.
    You don't have to push the disc very much, it just slides in very smooth until the drive takes it.

    I am from Austria, so I got it from a hardware dealer in Germany (www.ibbgbr.de) for about 241+shipping.

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate tom2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by xsession_tim
    Tested it and it works like that:
    You put in the disc until its's about 2/3 in and then the drive pulls it in.
    You don't have to push the disc very much, it just slides in very smooth until the drive takes it.

    I am from Austria, so I got it from a hardware dealer in Germany (www.ibbgbr.de) for about 241+shipping.
    Cool. Thanks for the review. I will probably buy one soon.
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. IDE to USB?? or USB slim slot load dvd drive
    By mercury in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 12:43 AM
  3. IMAC slim slot dvd drive w/adapter $65
    By tbdombrosky in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 08:44 AM
  4. connecting imac slot load drive
    By twest17 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 04:51 PM
  5. Pioneer Slot Load DVD Drive Shock Resistant?
    By Bloomk in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2000, 04:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •