Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What about a "global connector" for Carputer?

  1. #1
    Newbie mechrekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    33

    What about a "global connector" for Carputer?

    I was thinking if is it possible to make a single connector, to easy connect the Carputer when you need to do this for several times.

    This is my idea:

    I have counted total number of pins used usually for a carputer:
    USB: 5 (for touch screen or mouse)
    USB: 5 (for GPS)
    VGA: 15 (ar all them needed?)
    Audio: 3 (for stereo output, or more if using 5+1 audio channels)
    LAN: I would use Wireless.

    DC Power: 2
    Reset and/or Power Switch: 2+2

    Total count: 34

    Then did a search over the internet for a connector with more than 34 pin.


    http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebComme....jsp?id=87N491



    http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebComme....jsp?id=87N487



    http://www.spctechnology.com/asp/Pro...b%20Connectors

    Any suggestions?
    Do you think this connector is possible to do?
    Are there special precautions with power pins and the other pins used in the same connector?
    Are there better connector to use in this case?
    - My project would be in the works right now...
    - (sorry for my english :o)

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by mechrekt
    I was thinking if is it possible to make a single connector, to easy connect the Carputer when you need to do this for several times.

    This is my idea:

    I have counted total number of pins used usually for a carputer:
    USB: 5 (for touch screen or mouse)
    USB: 5 (for GPS)
    VGA: 15 (ar all them needed?)
    Audio: 3 (for stereo output, or more if using 5+1 audio channels)
    LAN: I would use Wireless.

    DC Power: 2
    Reset and/or Power Switch: 2+2

    Total count: 34

    Then did a search over the internet for a connector with more than 34 pin.

    Any suggestions?
    Do you think this connector is possible to do?
    Are there special precautions with power pins and the other pins used in the same connector?
    Are there better connector to use in this case?
    I don't see using that 37pin connector being any problem. If anything, my main concern would be the power pins.. since you have extra pins I would use 2 pins each for DC + and -. In addition, I would probably send the audio over a different connector than the rest, in that case 2 connectors still isn't to bad.
    Try using one connector and if there is no audio noise, then use it and let us know!

  3. #3
    Newbie mechrekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsp6
    I don't see using that 37pin connector being any problem. If anything, my main concern would be the power pins.. since you have extra pins I would use 2 pins each for DC + and -. In addition, I would probably send the audio over a different connector than the rest, in that case 2 connectors still isn't to bad.
    Try using one connector and if there is no audio noise, then use it and let us know!
    Thank you... any other suggestions?
    Are there other than D-Sub connector for this use?
    Are there other connector that not uses solders?
    - My project would be in the works right now...
    - (sorry for my english :o)

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    509
    yeah radio shack has crimp on connectors for those, i used them to make my Dual Shock controller work on the PC

  5. #5
    Newbie mechrekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Hcomplyr
    yeah radio shack has crimp on connectors for those, i used them to make my Dual Shock controller work on the PC
    Can you tell us more?
    - My project would be in the works right now...
    - (sorry for my english :o)

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    509
    certainly, get yourself a Playstation controller extention cord, chop off the end that goes into the PSX then wire up using the schematic included
    then go here
    http://www.zophar.net/joy.html
    and download the proper driver
    i believe the diode used is radio shack P/N "2N914"
    rumble only works if there is an external power input, but you can use a multi-tap and get 4 - 5 players going with or without the extra power
    i've made quite a few interfaces and its great for emulators
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by mechrekt
    Thank you... any other suggestions?
    Are there other than D-Sub connector for this use?
    Are there other connector that not uses solders?
    you could use those SUN video connectors that have coaxial contacts in them
    I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
    NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
    http://www.navsys.org/

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    558
    I think I agree with Jasonsp6, about the power and sound going through the connector you shown..... Especially the power... I think the amperage you would be pulling would be to much for the gage of wires you could connect to that connector....

    Here is a suggestion, but I am not sure it does what you are looking for... What I made was a "front header" and "rear header" PC board for a common connection point for the Video/Sound/Antenna/Speakers/etc in the front of the car and for the PC/Power/etc at the rear of the car... This gave me one localized place to plug everthing into....

    On the headers I placed all sperate connectors for each thing I need...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •