Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Radar Detector

  1. #21
    FLAC Chairboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by cproaudio
    Whistler told me that it's not impossible to have a USB detector and have software to control it and display warnings and such.
    If someone at Whistler actually said that, then they are a moron. As all the installs here prove, there are plenty of things that, while not practical, are POSSIBLE.

    This is definately possible, I could do it myself using the PCI relay input someone posted about, or with a microcontroller like an OOPIC or Basic Stamp, or I could do it with a USB parallel port. DOING it is straight forward, you just need to invest the time and skills.

    One thing to keep in mind, the people who make the radar detectors will make a better detector then any of y'all because they have lots of money, labs, and it's their full time job. A project like this is about cool, not being practical. If you just want to avoid getting tickets, drive slow. If you want something that will impress your friends and cement your status as Alpha Male, manually interface your radar detector and do some clever integration on your carputer.

  2. #22
    Constant Bitrate cafn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New Jersey, US
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmaster
    Uniden GPSRD
    Hey,cool. What a great idea Seems like a pretty reasonable price too if it works well as a radar detector.

  3. #23
    FLAC chut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX. USA
    Posts
    1,375
    Geeez!

    When I was a youngster, this hobby would definitely cement your male status as something other than alpha. Like He said in the movie, "I'm pretty sure that you would get your *** kicked for something like that"




    Quote Originally Posted by Chairboy
    If someone at Whistler actually said that, then they are a moron. As all the installs here prove, there are plenty of things that, while not practical, are POSSIBLE.

    This is definately possible, I could do it myself using the PCI relay input someone posted about, or with a microcontroller like an OOPIC or Basic Stamp, or I could do it with a USB parallel port. DOING it is straight forward, you just need to invest the time and skills.

    One thing to keep in mind, the people who make the radar detectors will make a better detector then any of y'all because they have lots of money, labs, and it's their full time job. A project like this is about cool, not being practical. If you just want to avoid getting tickets, drive slow. If you want something that will impress your friends and cement your status as Alpha Male, manually interface your radar detector and do some clever integration on your carputer.
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

  4. #24
    Constant Bitrate P4_2.66GHz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    217
    You guys are not listening.
    Here is where to start:

    Valentine One does not get outdated, unlike the rest of what I call "toys" out there.
    That thing will last you a decade no problem.

    This is what you interface from:

    There are 4 wires total that send power and communiction signals. One would need to find out what they are and decode them.

    As the end result, an ultimate car computer radar dectector will be created.

  5. #25
    FLAC chut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX. USA
    Posts
    1,375
    be prepared to fork over 4 1/2 big ones, I was gonna get me one of these things till I found that out.



    Quote Originally Posted by P4_2.66GHz
    You guys are not listening.
    Here is where to start:

    Valentine One does not get outdated, unlike the rest of what I call "toys" out there.
    That thing will last you a decade no problem.

    This is what you interface from:

    There are 4 wires total that send power and communiction signals. One would need to find out what they are and decode them.

    As the end result, an ultimate car computer radar dectector will be created.
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

  6. #26
    Constant Bitrate P4_2.66GHz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by chut
    be prepared to fork over 4 1/2 big ones, I was gonna get me one of these things till I found that out.
    The finer things in life are usually more expensive.

  7. #27
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14
    Chairboy,

    You seem to know quite a bit about radar. I'm doing some research on how radar/lidar works (in a technical sense). Could you, or anyone else, point me to a good resource(s)? I'm trying to find about defeating police radar systems and RDD (radar dectector dectectors). How exactly do RDD's (VG-2, Spectre) dectect dectectors?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by cafn8
    Hey,cool. What a great idea Seems like a pretty reasonable price too if it works well as a radar detector.
    Its a good start but the radar is not up to par. I have one but its no Passport 8500.

  9. #29
    FLAC Chairboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    I'm no expert on radar, just competent with some electronics. My understanding about RDDs is that they scan for emissions on frequencies that the detection components leak, but that's from talking to friends who like to act like they know more then they really do.

    There's always the possibility that they don't actually work, and it's totally psychological....

    As for the other stuff,

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by crook999
    Chairboy,

    You seem to know quite a bit about radar. I'm doing some research on how radar/lidar works (in a technical sense). Could you, or anyone else, point me to a good resource(s)? I'm trying to find about defeating police radar systems and RDD (radar dectector dectectors). How exactly do RDD's (VG-2, Spectre) dectect dectectors?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Like a active radar jammer? I bought a active radar jammer x and k only. $600 bucks. It works good on the speed check signs I got tired of having it sit on the dash so I built my own(more stealth). I will post pictures tomorrow.


    A RDD scans for leakage that RD's send out more or less. http://copradar.com/preview/chapt7/ch7d1.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hacking radar into dash.
    By lstrunk in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 03:04 PM
  2. radar detector with pc interface
    By aoLhaTer in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 02:19 PM
  3. Radar Detector with PC interface?
    By msink in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 08:31 AM
  4. radar detectors and carmp3
    By smashr2k in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-31-2001, 01:01 PM
  5. Anyone have a Cobra radar detector?
    By schrodos in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2001, 05:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •