Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 159

Thread: off the wall ideas

  1. #11
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    84
    I love all the comments, even tho most of them are bad--i expected that here, so no worries. So heres what i have to say to respound to them.

    2. To implement this, you'd have to install the physical scanning system somewhere on the door, and keep it durable and clean. Also, if you use a microcontroller to perform the IDing task, you'd wouldn't have any software for it. All of the ID software I know of that would interact with a reader are based on mainstream OSs (variations of Windows, *nix, Palm, and portable OSs). You would have to write everything yourself, which means learning Assembler (or C) and advanced recognition algorithms.

    In other words, unless you use a readymade software/hardware package, it isn't feasible. And that defeats the whole purpose.
    Acutally it wouldnt be that hard to code that, ive learned very early c++ logic at college, and i think it would be able to get that complete. And even if i couldnt, why would a already made package defeat the purpose? it wouldnt at all, it would actually help 'the purpose'

    3. Unless you weigh 70lb or 400lb, weight is a very unspecific criterion. With my fast metabolism, if I'm very busy on a given day and don't have time to eat, I can lose as much as 5lb. And, I'd say about 70% of my friends are within 5lb of my weight. Whereas fingerprints are a unique trait, height and weight have a very low variety.
    None of my friends wiegh 5lb's of each other, or me. i find it strange that yours are.. everyone you know are almost exactly the same size? very strange indeed.

    4. It sounds like you're talking about a focused sound projector. There are speaker systems (not yet on the market) that let you do just that. The idea is that someone watching TV can hear the sound clearly, while someone sitting 5 feet away and out of line-of-fire of the speakers will hear nothing.
    No its called hypersonic sound. It is concentrated sound waves that only can be heard in a concentrated radius. It would work also ( people shouldnt just make statements without doing research ) and is actually going to be put in police cars for the exact same reason i wanted to put one in my plate - http://www.atcsd.com/tl_hss.html for more info.
    As far as the weight thing, would work but would be alot of work and expensive. And what if your wife/gf drives the car?

    The speaker would probably get you a ticket. I am sure it would be a distraction.
    Im not married, and if i were, all you would have to do is make another user account for her--duh
    As for the speaker, why would it be a distraction, in the dark it would be extremely difficult for a police officer to see, and what he cant hear wont attackt his attention also.

    And as for the whole headlight thing, that might (since i havent dont research i dont know) not be able to implemented.

  2. #12
    Bowel movement jjh221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    not sure yet.
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Banderon
    Read my explanation for why this one is best left to the manufacturers.
    yeah i think he was talking about me. sorry

  3. #13
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    84
    Also the speakers for the HSS are already out, ive seen them somewhere, dont remember the price point, but it wouldnt be that expensive im sure-- couldnt be more then a good set of subs for your car.

    Found the link I couldn't find earlier. Fingerprint ID optical mouse:
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=99199
    Kinda cool.
    That could be used to implement the scanning security, and its an already made and tested. All i would have to do now is figure out a good location for it that wouldnt look tacky! Oh, and of course i would have to gut it and throw away the mouse, since it wouldnt be useful after i got the finger print scanner outta it. Good link, im sure ill be picking one of those up soon.

  4. #14
    Maximum Bitrate skippy76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Posts
    507
    Ok, guys, appologies, I miss read / miss understood the turning and lights stuff.... thought it was for indicators / turn signals...

    As for head lights.... Best left to the manufacturers....

    Something easy to implement on the other hand would be the good old rain detector and automatic windscreen wippers....

    Totally off thread, has anyone ever thought of adding 'black box' tyep functionality to their Carputer? Just need some physical logging of GPS data etc.

    Add a GSM card, you could send the device a text message and it could respond with the exact location of your car by text message (assuming the car is running).
    06 Volvo XC90
    Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
    Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

  5. #15
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    Acutally it wouldnt be that hard to code that, ive learned very early c++ logic at college, and i think it would be able to get that complete. And even if i couldnt, why would a already made package defeat the purpose? it wouldnt at all, it would actually help 'the purpose'
    If you want to attempt to code an application for fingerprint identification, working on a purely bit by bit level, go right ahead. Not C++... most microcontrollers are programed in assmebler or C. And the reason a ready-made package would defeat the purpose is because for that, your computer would have to already be on and running.


    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    None of my friends wiegh 5lb's of each other, or me. i find it strange that yours are.. everyone you know are almost exactly the same size? very strange indeed.
    Weight is a very bad way to ID people. Hell, I dump more than 2lb anytime I take a dump. Your weight fluctuates a lot in a given day. Also, I'm 6'1" and weight about 170lb. I believe I am right around the average weight for my height, and yes.. most of my friends are within +/- 2" of me... and within about 5lb.


    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    No its called hypersonic sound. It is concentrated sound waves that only can be heard in a concentrated radius. It would work also ( people shouldnt just make statements without doing research ) and is actually going to put in police cars for the exact same reason i wanted to put one in my plate - http://www.atcsd.com/tl_hss.html for more info.
    This technology has probably been developed by a number of different companies already. And it wouldn't work in a moving vehicle. A moving vehicle has a very large amount of air circulation all around it that would disrupt the aiming of the audio signal.

  6. #16
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    84
    yeah, i think thats true. I wonder if they sell aftermarket headlight units that do this for 00 accord's...if anyone see one, posta link! but im pretty sure they dont, so im going to ask BMW what it cost's for that, and try to get a place to install it for me- im guessing thats going to be in the thousands, so ill have to work a week or two to grab one.

    edit: i was responding to skippy76 in that message

  7. #17
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    yeah, i think thats true. I wonder if they sell aftermarket headlight units that do this for 00 accord's...if anyone see one, posta link! but im pretty sure they dont, so im going to ask BMW what it cost's for that, and try to get a place to install it for me- im guessing thats going to be in the thousands, so ill have to work a week or two to grab one.

    edit: i was responding to skippy76 in that message
    This is probably the most implementable idea out of all of them... though it'd be hard. Like I said, you'd need to be able to do a lot of calculation for how far to bend each headlight based on speed and steering wheel angle.

  8. #18
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    84
    If you want to attempt to code an application for fingerprint identification, working on a purely bit by bit level, go right ahead. Not C++... most microcontrollers are programed in assmebler or C. And the reason a ready-made package would defeat the purpose is because for that, your computer would have to already be on and running.
    uhmmm did you read my first post? if you did, i think you skipped parts, because i said the computer would be running all the time. Since those computer are running linux, it wouldnt have to be coded in assembly.

    Weight is a very bad way to ID people. Hell, I dump more than 2lb anytime I take a dump. Your weight fluctuates a lot in a given day. Also, I'm 6'1" and weight about 170lb. I believe I am right around the average weight for my height, and yes.. most of my friends are within +/- 2" of me... and within about 5lb.
    like sfay93 said, it would work but be alot of work (what part of this carputer isnt work lol?) And like i said, its VERY strange that all your friends are very close to each other in weight. I'm thinking about all my friends, and none of them are within 5lbs of me or each other. Even my friends family members arent close to each other in wieght, nor my family (4 brothers, mother, and father, brothers girlfriends, my girlfriend, brothers girlfriends brother) no one.

    This technology has probably been developed by a number of different companies already. And it wouldn't work in a moving vehicle. A moving vehicle has a very large amount of air circulation all around it that would disrupt the aiming of the audio signal.
    I havent read that anywhere, all ive read are the complete opposite of your supporting statement. But hey, if you say its true, i guess it is?

    Edit: okay, im being lazy and not doing the research on the headlights thing. But tell me why you need to calculate the angle at which the lights need to turn based on the cars delta? i just dont understand. All you would have to do is turn a few degrees depending on wheel position only. The lights are only turning 15degrees (7 left/right, well the cadilac does) so its not like they still wont be facing forward enough to shine infront of you, even if they arent facing directly forward.

  9. #19
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    uhmmm did you read my first post? if you did, i think you skipped parts, because i said the computer would be running all the time. Since those computer are running linux, it wouldnt have to be coded in assembly.
    You can't leave a computer on all the time.. it would drain the battery. NanoITX remains to be seen, but I'm guessing that even that system will drain the battery if left on.


    like sfay93 said, it would work but be alot of work (what part of this carputer isnt work lol?) And like i said, its VERY strange that all your friends are very close to each other in weight. I'm thinking about all my friends, and none of them are within 5lbs of me or each other. Even my friends family members arent close to each other in wieght, nor my family (4 brothers, mother, and father, brothers girlfriends, my girlfriend, brothers girlfriends brother) no one.
    We're all pretty much the same height, and the average weight for our height. Not all my friends certainly.. but I'd say the majority. It's not strange at all... it's just the way the bell curve works. So, even though you could implement weight measuring, it wouldn't be very useful unless your weight is an extreme so that you could allow a high tolerance.


    I havent read that anywhere, all ive read are the complete opposite of your supporting statement. But hey, if you say its true, i guess it is?
    To quote text from the site you posted: "Therefore, if we know how the air affects the sound waves, we can predict exactly what new frequencies (sounds) will be added into the sound wave by the air itself."

    You can't know how the air around a moving vehicle will affect the sound. Unless you and the person behind you are driving in a wind tunnel, where the air currents can be analyzed and compensated for, it is not a technology that will work in motion.

  10. #20
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    okay, im being lazy and not doing the research on the headlights thing. But tell me why you need to calculate the angle at which the lights need to turn based on the cars delta? i just dont understand. All you would have to do is turn a few degrees depending on wheel position only. The lights are only turning 15degrees (7 left/right, well the cadilac does) so its not like they still wont be facing forward enough to shine infront of you, even if they arent facing directly forward.
    When you drive at a higher speed, a slight motion of the wheel has a much larger effect on the car's heading than if you were going slowly. Because of this, your speed has to be taken into account along with the angle of the wheel. At low speeds, a slight shift in the wheel's axis should register a much smaller shift in the headlight's direction than if you were going faster. Also, both lights need to aim independently so that their zenith remains the same.

    EDIT: That's actually another "feature" in the new 5 series... steering-by-wire. The steering reaction decreases as your speed increases. That way you had more control at higher speeds. However, test drives showed that people didn't like this at all because they were unable to guage how much they needed to turn the wheel at a given speed to turn the car the amount that they wanted. Luckily, this is an optional feature.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 01:02 AM
  2. NEW VGA Touchscreen? Need some ideas.
    By dscustoms in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 12:58 AM
  3. Looking for ideas...
    By ddt in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2002, 07:23 PM
  4. help with ideas for a total homebrew mp3 car player
    By acidic in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2002, 11:02 AM
  5. Any great ideas on mounting a HDD?
    By Krash in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2000, 10:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •