Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 159

Thread: off the wall ideas

  1. #61
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    lol

    Well I got all the prequisites! I am trained in martial arts, japanese swordsmanship, i can throw shurikens rather well, I am a great shot (even with a bow & arrow!), and i am great with people i don't know!

    Seriously! I've got hitman written all over me!

  2. #62
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14
    1) Use two motors per headlight. One to control the up-down movement (speed) and the other to control left-right movement (turning). Connect a set of two springs to the headlight mechanism to oppose motion in the up-down and left-right direction that would allow the headlight to return to its original postition if the motors failed.

    3) Instead of using fingerprint technology, which would be wicked cool, use keyless entry. But instead of the conventional system, have a device that puts out a intermitent signal all the time. The device would only be effective up to a few feet radius around the car. The receiver (in the car) would receive the signal and unlock the doors for you. No need to pull the keys out of your pocket. The receiver would also enable the ignition so the driver would get into the vehicle and push a button for the starter.

  3. #63
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by crook999
    1) Use two motors per headlight. One to control the up-down movement (speed) and the other to control left-right movement (turning). Connect a set of two springs to the headlight mechanism to oppose motion in the up-down and left-right direction that would allow the headlight to return to its original postition if the motors failed.

    3) Instead of using fingerprint technology, which would be wicked cool, use keyless entry. But instead of the conventional system, have a device that puts out a intermitent signal all the time. The device would only be effective up to a few feet radius around the car. The receiver (in the car) would receive the signal and unlock the doors for you. No need to pull the keys out of your pocket. The receiver would also enable the ignition so the driver would get into the vehicle and push a button for the starter.
    1) Why would you need up/down motion? Wouldn't it be best to have the headlights pointed with as much visibility as possible at all times?

    3) Rread the link that I made on the previous page. What you described was exactly what we were discussing in the thread I linked on RFID. With RFID, you don't even need it to send out a constant signal, or a battery for that matter.

  4. #64
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Moncks Corner, South Carolina
    Posts
    81
    The First Idea about the headlights has been around for a long time, it was on the tucker I think in the 50's

  5. #65
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14
    1) The up-down motion is for increse-decrese in speed. The faster your speed, the farther ahead you need to be looking. Adding a second set of lights specifically for the rotating headlights wouldn't be a bad idea either.

    3) I didn't read your post about the RFID before I posted.

  6. #66
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    84
    Im not at all worried about seeing further ahead. The headlights i installed a month or so back were a lot better then the factory default lights, and honestly look almost as good as when i have my brights on. The thing im worried about is not being able to see around corners on sharp turns. Im not sure if you guys ever drive to tahoe during the night, but if you do you know how dangerous it is not being able to see. Theres no lights, and there are sharp turns all over the place, im surprised people dont drive off the mountain!


    Edit: and as for the fingerprint security. Ive already got that covered, i talked about it a few pages back. Only thing you need is that mouse with the fingerprint security feature already on it-- gut it-- place the scanner somewhere in the door handle/inside the car somewhere, and its done. And as far as having to wait for the computer to startup

  7. #67
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    624
    I pretty much agree with Banderon, I didnt think he was shooting down ideas as he likes. I would have posted pretty much the same thing if he hadnt. Its not about shooting down ideas, its about bringing you back down to earth. Mainly, everything you said is doable, but would it be worth all the trouble to get some measly points?

    Besides, if everybody that posts thinks your ideas were great and there was no negative aspect you should think about, then why post it here in the first place?

    For the focused speaker, even if there was one that was easy enough to get and implement, you will have to deal with the microphone. microphones dont work really well in cars, most of the sound is garbled. Unless you chose a good focused microphone and position it in such a way that it receives the sound signal from a certain area on the driver's seat. That means you cant slouch or edge forward while driving.

    And then, you'll have to assume the driver of the car behind you can hear what you said. What if he has speakers real loud or he's talking on the phone via a bluetooth headset? What if he's in the new Alfa Romeos that wont let through any noise from outside for the extremely quiet cabin area?

    The fingerprint idea.. well just make sure your hands are never dirty or sweaty, you'll never get to start the car.

    The carpc detecting you coming from afar to start the engine and start playing music is a great idea.. but that means you'll have to leave your PC on 24 hours. Try leaving your headlights on for 8 hours while you sleep and see if you can start your car the next morning. And headlights arent even 200W.

    Not trying to shoot down your ideas, just telling you the obstacles you'll need to solve, and if you can solve those, then maybe you can implement your ideas.

    Cheers

  8. #68
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by crook999
    1) The up-down motion is for increse-decrese in speed. The faster your speed, the farther ahead you need to be looking. Adding a second set of lights specifically for the rotating headlights wouldn't be a bad idea either.

    3) I didn't read your post about the RFID before I posted.
    Yeah, I liked that driving lights idea. Also, those are usually mounted lower down where there's room to throw in things like motors.

    And I'm not saying you should have read the post that I linked to, I'm saying you should... since you seem interested in RFID, you might be able to contribute some good stuff to that other thread.

  9. #69
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    Im not at all worried about seeing further ahead. The headlights i installed a month or so back were a lot better then the factory default lights, and honestly look almost as good as when i have my brights on. The thing im worried about is not being able to see around corners on sharp turns. Im not sure if you guys ever drive to tahoe during the night, but if you do you know how dangerous it is not being able to see. Theres no lights, and there are sharp turns all over the place, im surprised people dont drive off the mountain!
    How do you know they don't?


    And you know what, from what you said, it sounds like you don't even need swiveling lights. Maybe it'd be better to mount driving lights permanently facing out to the sides. That way you'd always have the benefit of increased lighting on the sides of your car... and when you don't need it, you can just turn them off. It'd be basically increasing the angle in front of your car that's illuminated.

  10. #70
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    624
    Yup, it is less cool, but it achieves the purpose. It'd be cheaper too, to simply just mount driving lights towards the angled sides of the car

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 01:02 AM
  2. NEW VGA Touchscreen? Need some ideas.
    By dscustoms in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 12:58 AM
  3. Looking for ideas...
    By ddt in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2002, 07:23 PM
  4. help with ideas for a total homebrew mp3 car player
    By acidic in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2002, 11:02 AM
  5. Any great ideas on mounting a HDD?
    By Krash in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2000, 10:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •