Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Bootup - Which OS Question

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    558

    Bootup - Which OS Question

    Not quite sure how to fix this, but when the comp boots up it come to a screen asking which operating system do you want to use.... Windows XP or Windows....

    A little history, the HD is a new Laptop drive that was formatted when I got it (off eBay) and it had the command.com (not usre about the .com, but you know the file... it has been a long time since I have messed with DOS)....

    I went and installed XP on the drive, and I had it convert the drive from FAT32 to NTFS, which I think left some sign of Windows on there (which actually was never installed) from that command.com file....

    Anynow in the C:\ directory the command.com file is no longer there.....

    Anybody know how I can get ride of that boot up question?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by dug1967
    Not quite sure how to fix this, but when the comp boots up it come to a screen asking which operating system do you want to use.... Windows XP or Windows....

    A little history, the HD is a new Laptop drive that was formatted when I got it (off eBay) and it had the command.com (not usre about the .com, but you know the file... it has been a long time since I have messed with DOS)....

    I went and installed XP on the drive, and I had it convert the drive from FAT32 to NTFS, which I think left some sign of Windows on there (which actually was never installed) from that command.com file....

    Anynow in the C:\ directory the command.com file is no longer there.....

    Anybody know how I can get ride of that boot up question?

    Thanks in advance.
    Edit C:\msdos.sys

    [Options]
    BootDelay=0
    BootMulti=0 < change to 0
    BootGUI=1

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate sfay93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    777
    Probably need to edit c:\boot.ini to look like this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=signature(2cb92cb9)disk(0)rdisk(0)partitio n(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    signature(2cb92cb9)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

    /fastdetect

    Your's probably has 2 OS's listed there. Just delete the one that doesn't say partition(1).
    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
    ATVMS.com

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    558
    Well thanks for the info guys, but unfortunately I don't have either of those files.... msdos.sys or boot.ini

    I searched the entire HD and neither is there....

    Confused....

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    100
    you might be able to alter this within bios, or atleast have it so it only gives you say 3 secs and then selects the os you want.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    558
    I shall look, but I can't think of a place in the bios that would control something like this...

    By the by, the MB is a Via M10000....

    But I shall look.

  7. #7
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by dug1967
    Well thanks for the info guys, but unfortunately I don't have either of those files.... msdos.sys or boot.ini

    I searched the entire HD and neither is there....

    Confused....
    In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View and select 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'

    It's nothing to do with the bios.

  8. #8
    FLA gospeed.racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by dug1967
    Well thanks for the info guys, but unfortunately I don't have either of those files.... msdos.sys or boot.ini

    I searched the entire HD and neither is there....

    Confused....
    Go to the "run" command and type the c:/boot.ini...worked for me when I tried it.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    Lightbulb

    A suggestion:
    right click on My Computer
    select properties/advanced/startup and recovery/settings
    and then "edit startup files manually"

    OR (to explain why you can't find the files in question)
    In the Windows Explorer:
    select menu: tools/folder options/
    in the view tab, make sure that its letting you see hidden and system files.
    "show hidden files and folders"

    and

    uncheck "hide protected operating system files"

    Good luck!

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by gospeed.racer
    Go to the "run" command and type the c:/boot.ini...worked for me when I tried it.
    That works Speed.... here is what I have in the file....

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"


    What should I change it to????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Os and The Car
    By SjLucky in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 02:09 PM
  2. A few observations in OS and why I'm now using Windows 2003...
    By Mastiff in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 09:11 AM
  3. Geforce4 MX440 bootup question
    By Tony S in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 03:30 AM
  4. Finally settled for an OS. (question though)
    By churnopol in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 06:42 AM
  5. Which OS?
    By accord in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-22-2001, 08:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •