Alright, I have a 1992 Acura Legend.
I am good with my hands but I have no experience with...
- computer building
- audio/video installations
- electrical systems
So I am looking for the easiest, most cost/time effective way to have a carputer.
1. I have seen people on this site purchase laptops with cracked screens and then hook up the laptop to a lilliput 7 inch screen for example. I have also seen people on this site build their own computers with boxes, etc. Are these people doing this b/c built PC's are better or do they just like the challenge of it?
2. All that I am wanting a carputer for is to be able to use my .mp3's, movies, instant messengers, Office applications, and net browsing. Would it be ok for me to go with a laptop with a broken screen or should I opt for making my own carputer? Is making a computer all that hard? I guess I would be willing to if it will be cheaper, have more advantages than using a laptop, and if I will be given the proper guidance on here. Any good sites for learning how to build computers/carputers?
3. I have seen these touchscreen LCD monitors, are there Touchscreen editions of Windows XP? If so, is it fully functional? Will my hand/finger(s) basically "be the mouse"?
4. What program is this picture below? I love how it has the Honda Symbol on it. I would love to have an Acura Symbol on mine. Will I be able to? Does the "apps" button take you to your Programs on your PC? What takes you to the desktop?
5. I've seen this "USB GPS" a lot. How exactly does this work? Is a GPS Subscriptions required for this?
6. The dimensions of my cars headunit are 4" x 7" x 6 15/16 (H X W X D) and the DIN is surrounded by wood. I've seen fiberglass/bonda fabricating done but this cannot be done with my wood console. I feel like the screen of a Lilliput will fit my DIN space but I think that the frame of the Lilliput will exceed the 4 height & 7 inch width of my DIN. What are the dimensions of the Lilliput screen? What are the dimensions of the Lilliput screen w/frame?
7. Is there good voice activated software that you recommend? I would love to be able to talk to type an email or something while traveling.
8. If I do get a laptop, I have though of mounting it vertically in my arm rest/console. Is there any danger or consequence in mounting it this way and having it be vertical for years to come?
9. As opposed to the temperature of my carpet floor at my house, I know that the temperature of the interior of my moving/heating up car is greater. Whether I mount the PC in my console, in my trunk, or elsewhere, will somehow keeping the PC cold be necessary? If so, what are some techniques for cooling? Is it only necessary for a "built pc" or would a laptop require cooling as well?
10. Are these DIN sized PCs good for what I stated I wanted out of my PC above?
What are the limitations of these DIN sized PC's?
11. I see these 3 different categories of screens... http://www.cartft.com/shop/catalog/gl/1
What is VGA? What is 2x PAL/NTSC Input?
I am basically just wanting a touchscreen with good colors that will work well for years to come for me.
Is it better to have a screen that has a built in speaker?
12. Can your carputer IP address be traced when you are in your car?
13. I'm not actually sure yet but I don't think I will have a keyboard/mouse in the car. Is this ok since I'll have a Touchscreen? Or is there a program similar to Pocket PC's that you can type with your finger on the screen with? I really hope that I will depend on Voice Activated software.
14. What is the best touchscreen out there? Are there fold out touchscreens? If so, what kind?(link?) I see myself going the flush mounted way and not the fold out type. But if I do opt for the fold out LCD monitor, I really don't care to have the fold out monitor also have a DVD/CD player integrated, since the carputer has one.
15. When I get my carputer, I plan on connecting to the internet using a Bluetooth phone. Is the future of connecting Wireless cell phones to computers Bluetooth? Or is there some new technology that is coming out? I've heard of "EDGE" on howardforums.com. If EDGE or other is/will be the new technology, what kind of feature should I make sure my laptop or built carputer has to get the EDGE? Know what I mean? I know that with bluetooth, I'll have to get some sort of bluetooth internal modem for it to be able to connect with my phone...
16. What all will be required to hook up my carputer? Say that I bought a broken laptop & a Lilliput screen that will come with the included Lilliput wiring. What else would I need?
I have seen "power sources", is this necessary? I'm really clueless here.
Thank you for any help.