Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: stepper or servo control

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate more mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    873

    stepper or servo control

    I want to have my monitor rotate down 90║ when I turn on ign. and rotate up 90║ when I turn the ign. off. I want to keep this simple, no eloborate software for adjustment, just ign. control.

    Since the rotation is only 90║, gear reduction on a regular DC motor would be extreme, so my question is how do I control a stepper or servo for this task?

    Also any recomendatons on hardware? Rember this is a touch screen so I need enough torque to hold it in place while using touch screen.

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    429
    Some sites you may want to look at for servo/stepper stuff:
    www.lynxmotion.com
    www.hvwtech.com
    www.robotcombat.com/store.html

    Particularily:
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=52
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=38

    If you go with servos you may want a large scale or mega servo.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate more mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by archimense
    Some sites you may want to look at for servo/stepper stuff:
    www.lynxmotion.com
    www.hvwtech.com
    www.robotcombat.com/store.html

    Particularily:
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=52
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=38

    If you go with servos you may want a large scale or mega servo.
    Thanks, I'll check thos now.

  4. #4
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Memphis - TN
    Posts
    1,272
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate more mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by archimense
    Some sites you may want to look at for servo/stepper stuff:
    www.lynxmotion.com
    www.hvwtech.com
    www.robotcombat.com/store.html

    Particularily:
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=52
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=38

    If you go with servos you may want a large scale or mega servo.
    Looks like the servo controller needs to be connected to pc.

    I dont know that much about servos, but I know the speed and position are controlled by a pulse. So is there a way to control 1 servo without it being connected to my pc (no spare port). I need it to slowly (about 3-4 sec.) rotate 90║ when I turn on ign. and rotate back on ign. off.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate more mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    873
    *bump*

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate binary.h4x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    852
    try talking to a local hobby shop, they use servos a lot in remote controlled vehicles.
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by more mods
    Looks like the servo controller needs to be connected to pc.

    I dont know that much about servos, but I know the speed and position are controlled by a pulse. So is there a way to control 1 servo without it being connected to my pc (no spare port). I need it to slowly (about 3-4 sec.) rotate 90║ when I turn on ign. and rotate back on ign. off.
    Check out the Servo Playback module on this page:
    http://www.robotstore.com/catalog/list.asp?cid=17

    That is the closest all in one you may find. Otherwise you could get a Basic Stamp chip or PIC and write a little code for them to control the servo the way you want.

    www.parallax.com

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate more mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by archimense
    Check out the Servo Playback module on this page:
    http://www.robotstore.com/catalog/list.asp?cid=17

    That is the closest all in one you may find. Otherwise you could get a Basic and write a little code for them to control the servo the way you want.

    www.parallax.com
    I saw that, but it records 4min. and plays that back, so it will not work.

    I know nothing about "Stamp chip or PIC" or writing code.

    This ideas seems simple enough, basically same as power antenna, key on monitor down, key off monitor up. But I need it to be rigid while down, so that when I touch the screen it doesnt move. That's the reason I want to use a servo or stepper.

Similar Threads

  1. My LPT Relay Control Software
    By wizardPC in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 01:10 PM
  2. cd changer control to control the pc
    By babas151 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:08 AM
  4. Servo vs Stepper Motors vs simple hobby motors...
    By chiark in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 12:04 AM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-13-2001, 02:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •