Thinks its the battery?
Tell me if you guys have ever heard anything like this.
My laptop (Compaq 700) carputer was running fine, then all of a sudden one morning it wont operate without the power cord. I can load it up fine with the power cord and windows detects the battery and says it is charging and also says it has 96% power remaing. As soon as I unplug the power cord..the laptop abruptly shuts off. On the back of the battery there is a button that lights up 4 LEDs to indicate battery level. All 4 Leds light up which indicate the battery is full. I have no idea what is going on.
Anyone have any ideas?
That is a POS... I have one now I'm ready to punt. All sorts of power problems.
'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup
[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]
Busted charging circutry is my guess. I think you may have to replace the motherboard
A digital mind lost in an analog world.
Learn to ask smart questions!
My car PC: The Lost Cause!
you sure you dont have the power setting set to shutdown when power lost? right click on your desktop select properties, goto your screensaver tab, goto your power settings, and then review all the options. there are different power schemes you can set your system up for that will cause it to behave certain ways. let me know if that solves the problem. thanks, rob
thanks for the replies. I checked the power settings robc but there is no option like that on this computer. I'm thinking its the battery. I left if charging for hours but it stays at 96%. Perhaps there is a fault in the battery's circuitry.
I ordered a replacement battery which will arrive in a few days. I will post the results with the new battery in case anyone else ever has this problem.
Our store has seen more than a few of these problems. They are usually in Compaq or HP laptops. Usually, it's the internal power converter that fails, causing the system to run exclusively on the battery, whether plugged in or not. It simply cannot charge the battery, because a crucial connection wore out/burned out/broke inside the laptop. Usually, this converter is an embedded device, meaning to replace it, you would have to replace the entire motherboard.
For now, if the laptop isn't under warranty, a new battery is the best first course of action, especially if the battery is more than a couple years old, since it would be needing to be replaced soon anyhow.
If a new battery doesn't fix the problem, you might want to give Compaq a call to see about how much they would charge to even take a look at the little bugger, then, if possible, get some idea as to how much they would charge to replace the motherboard. If nothing else, at least get the number of the mobo from them, so you can buy a new one off EBay and pay a friend a couple beers/sodas to replace it for you.
The ALEXIS Project
Color Coding :
DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED
Try going into the bios and see if there is an option to "refresh the battery" That will run it thru a complete discharge/charge cycle. It may help.
Did you try using a new battery on your compaq?Originally Posted by Yuriy