Sounds like a cool idea ... I think many of us have dreamed/hoped for something like this. Here is a quick list of features.
- Support for diversity antennas with impedance matched inputs and standard car radio connectors. (assuming there are any standards)
- Digital audio through USB
- Analog audio output
- Control and Data output via USB
- Drivers to map control and data ports to virtual serial interfaces. This would allow custom code to be easily created.
- Data Output to include (in addition to the radio data features discussed)
* Current Station / Band
* Signal Strength or Quality metric????
* Stereo/Mono indicator
- Control Input to include
* Set Band / Station
* Search for Station Up/Down on current Band
* Mute (could be in software)
* Volume Up/Down (could be in software)
* Power Off / Standby...go into low current mode but remember other settings (maybe partially supported by software)