Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Pocket PC-based carputer idea.

  1. #61
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    80
    Pocket PC's really bite when it comes to highly graphical display's, so they do not really work well as a carpc "replacement". Remote control of the carpc is a more logical alternative, and at least as far as the software we use is concerned, it works quite well:



    The AIVMS PPC Remote software shown above simply duplicates the AIVMS softwares command menu to the Pocket PC, and uses large buttons to facilitate ease of use while driving. It links to the remote system via WiFi or a USB or Bluetooth activesync connection. With a WiFi link you have complete control of the remote system from quite a distance. If the carpc has internet access, you can control it remotely from anywhere in the world using a pocket PC that is also connected to the internet. The AIVMS software has a built in macro system which can record just about any task that a human user conducts at a PC. Since these macro's can be linked to a user defined AIVMS command, a pocket PC can be a pretty powerful little control system.

  2. #62
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic
    Pocket PC's really bite when it comes to highly graphical display's, so they do not really work well as a carpc "replacement". Remote control of the carpc is a more logical alternative, and at least as far as the software we use is concerned, it works quite well:



    The AIVMS PPC Remote software shown above simply duplicates the AIVMS softwares command menu to the Pocket PC, and uses large buttons to facilitate ease of use while driving. It links to the remote system via WiFi or a USB or Bluetooth activesync connection. With a WiFi link you have complete control of the remote system from quite a distance. If the carpc has internet access, you can control it remotely from anywhere in the world using a pocket PC that is also connected to the internet. The AIVMS software has a built in macro system which can record just about any task that a human user conducts at a PC. Since these macro's can be linked to a user defined AIVMS command, a pocket PC can be a pretty powerful little control system.

    Actually, they're not that bad. Back in the day when I used my Sony Clie for navigation, it did a perfect job. Now as far as a ppc being used for MP3s also... that I can tell you sucks, because even if you have a USB host with an ext. hd, any software you have, you're gonna have to be clicking on a really small screen (3-4") while you're driving, and that's not a good idea...

    Peace,

    Rafster

  3. #63
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    80
    Trying to click (touch) any relatively small button found with typical front end displays on a 7" LCD can be much more of a challenge than the PPC remote software I mentioned. The buttons it uses are quite large. But, I can see what you are saying, as something like individual song selection by touch can be problematic no matter what interface you are using. The challenge we all hope to address is the delivery of information and entertainment to the driver without dangerous distractions. We do this by presenting music and information in a format that has proven to be superior for well over a century. The AI we developed functions as an automated radio DJ; it introduces the songs of your mp3 collection and also reports news, weather, and traffic information. The AI controls the hands-free VOIP communications system, and is designed to be used with hardware capable of supplying an always-on internet connection using EV-DO, 1xRTT, etc.

  4. #64
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafster
    Actually, they're not that bad. Back in the day when I used my Sony Clie for navigation, it did a perfect job. Now as far as a ppc being used for MP3s also... that I can tell you sucks, because even if you have a USB host with an ext. hd, any software you have, you're gonna have to be clicking on a really small screen (3-4") while you're driving, and that's not a good idea...

    Peace,

    Rafster
    It wasn't that bad. The worst part about it was the lag when it was rebuilding the playlist of 400 songs on a 1gb card. Everything else was actually really good, esp when you got the right software for it. Also you can map there buttons or use voice commands.

    remote contorl is the way to go though. Standing outside your car and making it do things is one of my many goals for the project

    I have a V710...had...gave it to my mother. yes, i love my mother but it was the only spare phone i had...
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

    THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

    Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

  5. #65
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    80
    AIVMS has external systems control capability, and since the PPC remote has full control of AIVMS, you could essentially unlock your doors or whatever else floats your boat from anywhere in the world with a simple touch on the screen of a little pocket PC. How's that for remote control..

  6. #66
    Low Bitrate SurgResDocMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Damn Hospital
    Posts
    90
    About to buy a Dell PDA for this. I have a lilliput Touch screen. What else do I need to make this system work, as far as being able to use GPS and touch screen on my 7 inch monitor? Has anyone gotten the Axim to work as a car computer with MP3 (better sound quality from USB) too?

  7. #67
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by SurgResDocMD
    About to buy a Dell PDA for this. I have a lilliput Touch screen. What else do I need to make this system work, as far as being able to use GPS and touch screen on my 7 inch monitor? Has anyone gotten the Axim to work as a car computer with MP3 (better sound quality from USB) too?
    You'll need a $130 USB host CF card to get USB out, unless Dell has released a model since the X51 that now has USB host.

  8. #68
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    It Works!!!

    I used a Dell Axim x51v and a WL-HDD with 100 GB of storage and it works fine! You can weigh the costs and benefits. . . but if you want lightning fast boot up times, I'd say go this route. . .

    You can go to my website to see my new carputer setup that has videos too. . . JeffersonKim.com

  9. #69
    Constant Bitrate WarDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by dexy
    You know come to think about it a pocket PC device, is actually a very good option costwise. b4 I went in to carputing, I used to use my pocket PC for in car video and audio, but navigation was hard b/c of the small screen. But now the revisit the issue, the problem waesn't really the screensize as much, b/c if you have it sideways like this the Video is pretty ok for in car use(I mean thats the size of come car tv screens, that people bought when screens were expensive).

    I think what we need on PocketPC end, is an interface software like mediaCar or frodoplayer e.g that has support for the horizonal position like video above, and lots of large buttons to navigate things around.(i.e audio and video).

    As for memory, these things have the 1gig CF cards available, all you need is to really power them up with car charger, while still not as powerfull as CAR PC, they still pack a punch.
    Oh also one thing I enjoyed was the instant boot time vs carPC, and well no need of shutdown controller for this guy too.

    what do u guys think?

    Nice Orinoco card in the expansion slot. Great for mini-stumbler...especially w/ an ext. ant.
    -WarDriver-
    Server Administrator
    Outdoor Nut

    My DC to AC Inverter Mod
    My Laptop Remote Switch

  10. #70
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    30
    hi every body
    does anyone know of a breakout box like the first post that would work on the O2 Xda Exec
    like this in picture
    http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/images...-exec-open.jpg

    thankx for all

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How2 control CarPC from key fob....
    By NotchbackVW in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 05:27 PM
  2. modified xbox instead of a PC?
    By hydraulix in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 12:14 PM
  3. Pocket PC and Laptop GPS Software
    By faz211 in forum GPS
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 03:56 PM
  4. Pocket Control PC! smartphone app
    By snmnetwork in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 05:38 AM
  5. Newbie asks ? Laptop based carputer vs desktop pc based carputer
    By SAScooby in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 01:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •