Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Fast boot times

  1. #11
    Maximum Bitrate kiltjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    805
    3 seconds from standby. Maybe 10-15 from hibernation.
    2000 Subaru OBS

    Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
    7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
    80GB External HD

    I am Zero Bitrate....

  2. #12
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,207
    I'm sorry man, you're wrong. I come out of hibernation in 3. I have a jetway mobo, which is great, cause it has a fast POST. I don't have it set up to detect any IDE devices. It goes freakin' quick.

    Don't be jealous...

    Anyway, it's not 3 seconds anymore. When I posted my 3 second time, that was when I was still booting from my 40gig. Now I'm booting from an 800mb Solid State laptop drive, and it's about 15-20seconds. But yes, I had a 3 second from hibernate. Just back up off me.
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

  3. #13
    FLAC IntellaWorks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,173

    .

    Windows XP Embedded or Windows CE5.0 (for automotive) are all software suites with IDE's designed to create operating systems for hardware and software specific devices in a reletively short amount of time.

    As far as boot times on existing vehicle telematics, they are using very primative operating systems as far as whats to come. As time goes by your probably going to see OEM telematics increase thier boot times as the aplpications become less "specific" but it when I say short I mean 5 seconds.
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

  4. #14
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by IntellaWorks
    Windows XP Embedded or Windows CE5.0 (for automotive) are all software suites with IDE's designed to create operating systems for hardware and software specific devices in a reletively short amount of time.

    As far as boot times on existing vehicle telematics, they are using very primative operating systems as far as whats to come. As time goes by your probably going to see OEM telematics increase thier boot times as the aplpications become less "specific" but it when I say short I mean 5 seconds.
    I'd be interested to know, these OS's that these vehicle systems are using, are they all proprietary, or are they based on something that's already out there?

    Reason I ask is (I know this really isn't even comparitive) I have an actiontec DSL modem based on unix that's able to be hacked and flashed with linux.
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

  5. #15
    Maximum Bitrate eugenen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder
    I'm sorry man, you're wrong. I come out of hibernation in 3. I have a jetway mobo, which is great, cause it has a fast POST. I don't have it set up to detect any IDE devices. It goes freakin' quick.

    Don't be jealous...

    Anyway, it's not 3 seconds anymore. When I posted my 3 second time, that was when I was still booting from my 40gig. Now I'm booting from an 800mb Solid State laptop drive, and it's about 15-20seconds. But yes, I had a 3 second from hibernate. Just back up off me.
    There are a lot of people that confuse or interchange suspend and hibernate so we had no way of knowing for sure. How much ram did you have? It took my 500Mhz mini-itx over a minute to come back from hibernate with just 128M

  6. #16
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,207
    Well, I was hibernating with 512mb. But now, with my 800mb drive, I had to limit XP to only using 210mb of my 512, cause that's all the free space I have on it.
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

  7. #17
    Well, He asked for it. WebDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA (West LA)
    Posts
    1,636
    I believe 3 sec from hibernation. Right now to turn mine on I have to reach back to the back seat and plug it in to the cig socket by the time I get that in and turn back facing forward its up and running that probably 3-5 sec to plug it in come back to the front and get the screen on.

  8. #18
    Newbie PCGUY112887's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Illinois, Near St.Louis
    Posts
    37
    What do you guys do when you pull in your driveway and go to put it in hibernation without sitting there for 1min waiting for it to go into hibernation?

    Also I am having a hard time believeing 3seconds from hibernation... maybe if your running a fast comp (like you said) and have tons of running apps trashed so there aren't many processes running...

  9. #19
    Well, He asked for it. WebDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA (West LA)
    Posts
    1,636
    i just got a crappy intel celeron 1.2 ghz laptop it takes about 15-25 sec to hibernate but ti boot from hibernation 3-5 sec.

    but becasue its a laptop it has a internal batt so i can leave the car and let it finish.

    i have cleaned the system up a bit i dont run live antivirus or any other **spyware crap*** i keep the system clean as i can.

    its really just for music.

  10. #20
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by PCGUY112887
    What do you guys do when you pull in your driveway and go to put it in hibernation without sitting there for 1min waiting for it to go into hibernation?

    Also I am having a hard time believeing 3seconds from hibernation... maybe if your running a fast comp (like you said) and have tons of running apps trashed so there aren't many processes running...
    My computer shuts off power to my inverter after it powers off, so I can just shut my car off and go inside. Yeah, my windows XP is slimmed down quite a bit, lots of missing apps, lots of missing services. Don't have hardly anything. My install is only 600mb.
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question On Boot Times
    By mybrotherrob in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 11:32 PM
  2. Athlon Or Pentium ?? DVD, Navigation, GPS, Wardriving, MP3's... Fast boot
    By Cruznlife1 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 06:08 AM
  3. I'll show you boot times...
    By gork in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 07:53 PM
  4. how to modify XXXXX for fast boot
    By babas151 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-21-2002, 08:44 PM
  5. boot times for mp3 players
    By alany in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-1999, 12:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •