Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Please explain a typical carputer shutdown

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate R32 JUhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North Atlanta
    Posts
    662

    Please explain a typical carputer shutdown

    Okay, so Opus and the ITPS (depending on which route you take) appear (to me anyway) to shut down the motherboard, but that doesn't really shut down windows, right?

    Can someone please walk me through their shutdown and bootup processes? Are you employing some method of telling windows to shut down? Are you going through the standard shutdown and reboot process every time you start the car (seems like it would take a long time)? Is there software to do this that I simply haven't stumbled across in the hours and hours of searching this topic? Any details would be GREATLY appreciated.

    James

  2. #2
    Bowel movement jjh221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    not sure yet.
    Posts
    1,645
    Windows xp has an option when you press the power button it will begin shut down then power off when done.
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com


  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate R32 JUhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North Atlanta
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by jjh221
    Windows xp has an option when you press the power button it will begin shut down then power off when done.
    Thank you... XP is 2000 based, no? Does 2000 also have this feature? And then the bios (?) is changed to start windows on power restore? And finally... doesn't that take a while to boot up?

    And now I can't understand the big deal about the Opus. If your carputer has to completely boot from OFF and turning the key from OFF to START takes microseconds, what's the big deal about not maintaining power to the CPU for those few microseconds? I'm NOT opposed to spending the money! I simply want a more compact package than the 150W Opus housing.

  4. #4
    Bowel movement jjh221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    not sure yet.
    Posts
    1,645
    2000 i dont know i dont run it, im sure it may. Look in power options i think.
    As for the opus its the watts and being able to survive crank. When you start your car your car sucks a lot of juice droping it to like 10volts and then up to 13-14 or something like that then will level out to 12v. The itps waits for it to level out. Then turns your computer on.
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com


  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate R32 JUhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North Atlanta
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by jjh221
    2000 i dont know i dont run it, im sure it may. Look in power options i think.
    Will do! Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by jjh221
    As for the opus its the watts and being able to survive crank. When you start your car your car sucks a lot of juice droping it to like 10volts and then up to 13-14 or something like that then will level out.
    Now that you mention that, I do recall reading that tidbit earlier today on mini-box's site. So since we are talking about a complete boot up, the Opus saves a few seconds. Whew!!!

    Thanks again! Since I'm not Windows SE certified, is there information stashed somewhere (sticky, FAQ) that provides tips on how to set up windows for the best boot results?

  6. #6
    Bowel movement jjh221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    not sure yet.
    Posts
    1,645
    its around here some where.
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com


  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by R32 JUhl
    Thank you... XP is 2000 based, no? Does 2000 also have this feature? And then the bios (?) is changed to start windows on power restore? And finally... doesn't that take a while to boot up?

    And now I can't understand the big deal about the Opus. If your carputer has to completely boot from OFF and turning the key from OFF to START takes microseconds, what's the big deal about not maintaining power to the CPU for those few microseconds? I'm NOT opposed to spending the money! I simply want a more compact package than the 150W Opus housing.
    read all the posts about problems with ITPS. Unfortunately as is the way in life if you want the best you can't scrimp

  8. #8
    Bowel movement jjh221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    not sure yet.
    Posts
    1,645
    Yeah, but my itps is doing fine right now. no problems so far with that. knock on wood.

    Think of the opus like this. If you were to have the 12v direct from battery to computer with no opus. When you turn the key, your computer thinks its ok to start, then after you try to turn it over the voltage drops, computer go O NO what happend to the power and shuts off then power is restored and comptuer goes ut o i hope it dont do that again lol. Opus says its ok computer I wont do that to ya. Saving computer from headache.
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com


Similar Threads

  1. (Div)XBox Carputer (warning: many pics)
    By Richie in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:37 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 03:25 AM
  4. New Improved ATX Shutdown Unit!
    By Danceheaven in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. ATX shutdown controller kit / assembled for sale
    By Mastero in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 02:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •