Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: can i connect my xbox to my car amp??

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10

    can i connect my xbox to my car amp??

    right, ive looked on this site for about an hour and im still confused.

    basically i would like to use my xbox to put all my music on and then just select what i want from a screen in my car, the occasional game too.

    ive been told that there are problems going from an XBOX to the amp without using a headunit because of the differences in the xbox output and the input of them amp. (something to do with line in and pre outs)

    is it not a case of simply plugging in some phono cables or is my info unreliable?

    please help me, ive asked on just about all the car UK forums im a member of and still got no idea. There are loads of guys on here that have this done so someone must be able to help me out. I just dont need the headunit so dont want to shell out 100 for something ill never use and will clutter my cabin

    many thanks in advance.

    rich

  2. #2
    I'm sorry, and you are....? frodobaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    8,846
    Just plug it in and try it. If it doesn't work well enough, buy a line driver.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

  3. #3
    Newbie MiniRX7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    53
    No it would not work for SEVERAL reasons.

    First off, i doubt the xbox outputs enough voltage to be loud enough for you to hear while driving, however you can crank the gain on your amp, but you may introduce hissing.

    Second off, you wont have a method of controlling the volume. Xbox Media Center has some volume control, but it doesnt work for games. I noticed that i constantly need to adjust my Kenwood headunit while palying movies ont he xbox as a result of the difference in recording volume. If you dont want a head unit, considering looking into a voulme controller, or even an EQ, there are many on EBAY.
    2k3 Max SE 6spd
    Temp setup:
    7" indash screen/Xbox running XBMC
    Carputer coming soon
    My 2003 Maxima

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniRX7
    No it would not work for SEVERAL reasons.

    First off, i doubt the xbox outputs enough voltage to be loud enough for you to hear while driving, however you can crank the gain on your amp, but you may introduce hissing.

    Second off, you wont have a method of controlling the volume. Xbox Media Center has some volume control, but it doesnt work for games. I noticed that i constantly need to adjust my Kenwood headunit while palying movies ont he xbox as a result of the difference in recording volume. If you dont want a head unit, considering looking into a voulme controller, or even an EQ, there are many on EBAY.

    cheers for your response, i just dont understand why the xbox will work with a home cinema amp but the voltage is not loud enough for a car amp? perhaps i could just put a normal hifi amp in my car and run thigs from that if it still doesnt work

    got the volume thing sorted, can control it from the cabin via an equaliser like you suggested.

  5. #5
    Newbie MiniRX7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by richardcash
    cheers for your response, i just dont understand why the xbox will work with a home cinema amp but the voltage is not loud enough for a car amp? perhaps i could just put a normal hifi amp in my car and run thigs from that if it still doesnt work

    got the volume thing sorted, can control it from the cabin via an equaliser like you suggested.

    Very simple, the Xbox outputs a LINE LEVEL meaning constant volume output. Your Preamps whether it be in your deck or the HIFI amp, has a volume control which amplifies the preamp signal..
    2k3 Max SE 6spd
    Temp setup:
    7" indash screen/Xbox running XBMC
    Carputer coming soon
    My 2003 Maxima

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by frodobaggins
    Just plug it in and try it. If it doesn't work well enough, buy a line driver.
    ive looked on the net and cant find a line driver anywhere. can anyone help me out?

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate MegatronUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    57
    My previous setup used an Xbox......

    Xbox composite video -> Headunit

    Xbox L audio -> Headunit
    Xbox R audio -> Headunit

    Headunit front audio-> External Amp -> Component front Speakers
    Headunit rear audio-> Headunit Amp -> Factory rear Speakers

    Worked fine.
    -= Supra Twin Turbo MK4
    -= Lotus 7 replica
    -= Escort MK1 with 2.0 16v XE
    -= Xbox-Linux-in-car-system (v1)
    -= EspressoPC, 256Mb, 40Gb, WinXP (v2)
    -= Pioneer AVHP6400 6.5" headunit, MEHP9100 MD/CD, CDXP1230, Infinity Reference 605cs/6502i & 2x RA7502

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Jersey/NY
    Posts
    436
    line driver -> phoenix gold pld1

    pheonix gold sells a newer one now, but the pld1 is cheaper (IF you can find it) and works just as well for all practical purposes.

    See if you need it first, it's ~$50, so if you don't need it, don't get it.

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    144
    Did you even try hooking up the outputs from the xbox to the amp???

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10
    would an equaliser such as this one be ok?

    http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/kgc9044.asp

    it says Three set of 4.0V preouts but doesnt say anything about acceptimg a line in.

    if this would work then id be all set i think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PC Power Supply and Car Amp
    By GezusK in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 01:31 AM
  2. S.M.A.R.T. car
    By link138 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 10:14 AM
  3. car amp power supply
    By fuctup in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 02:52 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 11:26 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2001, 03:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •