Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: What Tv antenna to use in Melbourne?

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate M^ck^y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    308

    What Tv antenna to use in Melbourne, Australia?

    it's been about 6 months now that i've been looking for the right TV antenna... Anyone knows where to get a diversity antenna that will go in a tv card or tv? It seems so hard to find one of these!

  2. #2
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Mobile TV reception sucks. I've been in a limo before, and the reception isn't great. My advice: don't bother.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate Osiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta (kennesaw) GA
    Posts
    318
    Will any channels in UHF or VHF get picked up half way decent at all?
    Osiris Networx

    --Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

  4. #4
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Will any channels in UHF or VHF get picked up half way decent at all?
    From what I remember, no

    Only way to get good reception is to go satellite - and that will cost you a few grand.

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate M^ck^y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    308
    I am doing driveway service part time at a Mobil petrol station, and there's this guy who works at mercedes and comes to fill up about 11 cars everyday. Most of them have Tv tuners and the quality are surprisingly good in any directions. He told me that all these cars have stock built in antennas around the windows n doors even if no tv tuners have been installed. Does anyone know how we could build our own diversity antenna around the car in a similar way? even if we had to buy some exsiting antennas and rip them apart to modify or something...

    Most antennas that car audio shops are selling have 2 or more outputs that go into expensive tv tuners. We would even buy these as we only have 1 input for our pc tvs. Wouldn't it be just that device that does the antenna switching (diversity) and send the best signal to our pc tuner that we need to find?

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate Osiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta (kennesaw) GA
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by M^ck^y
    I am doing driveway service part time at a Mobil petrol station, and there's this guy who works at mercedes and comes to fill up about 11 cars everyday. Most of them have Tv tuners and the quality are surprisingly good in any directions. He told me that all these cars have stock built in antennas around the windows n doors even if no tv tuners have been installed. Does anyone know how we could build our own diversity antenna around the car in a similar way? even if we had to buy some exsiting antennas and rip them apart to modify or something...

    Most antennas that car audio shops are selling have 2 or more outputs that go into expensive tv tuners. We would even buy these as we only have 1 input for our pc tvs. Wouldn't it be just that device that does the antenna switching (diversity) and send the best signal to our pc tuner that we need to find?
    Exactly what i was wondering. What has to be done to make a tuner except diversity antennas. I dont know exactly what diversity antennas do but is one for UHF and the other for VHF or does it just pick up the best signal from the antenna that is providing it, hence having two?
    Osiris Networx

    --Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate M^ck^y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    308
    Come on guys, bring up some ideas!!! I'm so keen on getting TV in the car specially after seeing those mercedes

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate Heckle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    123
    I have a similar antenna question i figured i would post here since you guys are into this.
    I was looking to get a tv fm card but I was wondering.
    Many of them say they can use external source or CATV but what if i'm in a car? I have no CATV nor am i using an external. Is there a way to connect a antenna or do i not need one? Can I just go to a store and buy an antenna that plugs into the cable input?

    Thanks....

    Another noob.

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate Osiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta (kennesaw) GA
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckle0
    I have a similar antenna question i figured i would post here since you guys are into this.
    I was looking to get a tv fm card but I was wondering.
    Many of them say they can use external source or CATV but what if i'm in a car? I have no CATV nor am i using an external. Is there a way to connect a antenna or do i not need one? Can I just go to a store and buy an antenna that plugs into the cable input?

    Thanks....

    Another noob.
    If you dont want to use an external source than dont. Same with catv. If you look at pictures of most tv cards, they will have 2 coaxial outputs. One is for your external/catv input and one is usually for the fm antenna.
    Osiris Networx

    --Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate M^ck^y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    308
    So there's no answer for tv in car, except if you buy a mercedes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any way of improvong Car TV antenna reception?
    By BoyNextDoor in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 02:22 AM
  2. Using radio antenna for radio AND tv
    By pyros in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 02:06 AM
  3. build your own tv antenna?
    By ddt in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 11:53 PM
  4. car TV antenna
    By moahdib in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2001, 04:48 PM
  5. what TV antenna do you use?
    By helloman in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2001, 11:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •