Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Help: Biostar MB w/ Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile = crash

  1. #21
    FLAC evandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    937
    many motherboards unlock the multiplier for you. if it even gives you the option of changing it, it probably means it has unlocked it for you. think about it, if you can connect two pins with a wire, it's pretty easy for them to connect the same two pins on the motherboard itself
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

  2. #22
    Super Moderator xBrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime
    I researched a little, and read that Athlon XPs have the multiplier LOCKED. I think this also applies to the 'mobiles'? If this is true, looks like we have 2 options to underclock:

    1) Lower the FSB speed in BIOS, or
    2) Apply a so called 'pencil trick' to unlock the multiplier, and lower the multiplier setting in BIOS.
    Like I said before, just change the FSB to 133 and you'll get what you want
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.


    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

  3. #23
    Raw Wave justintime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,695
    Quote Originally Posted by xBrady
    Like I said before, just change the FSB to 133 and you'll get what you want
    And exactly at what clock multiplier would I be running?
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90


    Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

  4. #24
    Super Moderator xBrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime
    And exactly at what clock multiplier would I be running?
    If you have the Biostar MB and are underclocking it from BIOS, the only thing you have to do is going into the advanced chipset settings and change the FSB. Everything else is stays the same. The MB takes care of it all.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.


    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

  5. #25
    Raw Wave justintime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,695
    Quote Originally Posted by xBrady
    If you have the Biostar MB and are underclocking it from BIOS, the only thing you have to do is going into the advanced chipset settings and change the FSB. Everything else is stays the same. The MB takes care of it all.
    OK, thanks. I do understand that. I am just wondering at what multiplier this will be running, if I have it set to 'default'. I assume this would run at the processor's default multiplier, which is in fact 14.

    Here is an interesting snippet, which states 14 is the default multiplier, and also explains that the M processors are multiplier unlocked (rationale for this is explained below too).

    ===================
    The stock operating frequency of the XP 2400-M is 1.8GHz (133x14), and runs at 1.45V, compared to the normal Bartons, which run at 1.65V. The -M denotes that the processor is a "Mobile" version, intended for use in laptops. Though, intended for laptops, you can use it in your desktop Socket A motherboard that supports the Barton. And because of AMD's PowerNow! power management feature, all mobile processors are multiplier unlocked, to be able to automatically decrease cpu speed when it's unneeded, saving battery life and running cooler. Beacuse of this, the -M are the only Barton cored AMD processors that are multiplier unlocked from the factory now.
    ====================

    So, if I run at 14 multiplier with 133 FSB, I would in effect be running at the stock processor speed. Not what I want!
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90


    Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

  6. #26
    Super Moderator xBrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime
    OK, thanks. I do understand that. I am just wondering at what multiplier this will be running, if I have it set to 'default'. I assume this would run at the processor's default multiplier, which is in fact 14.

    Here is an interesting snippet, which states 14 is the default multiplier, and also explains that the M processors are multiplier unlocked (rationale for this is explained below too).

    ===================
    The stock operating frequency of the XP 2400-M is 1.8GHz (133x14), and runs at 1.45V, compared to the normal Bartons, which run at 1.65V. The -M denotes that the processor is a "Mobile" version, intended for use in laptops. Though, intended for laptops, you can use it in your desktop Socket A motherboard that supports the Barton. And because of AMD's PowerNow! power management feature, all mobile processors are multiplier unlocked, to be able to automatically decrease cpu speed when it's unneeded, saving battery life and running cooler. Beacuse of this, the -M are the only Barton cored AMD processors that are multiplier unlocked from the factory now.
    ====================

    So, if I run at 14 multiplier with 133 FSB, I would in effect be running at the stock processor speed. Not what I want!
    I don't know what yours will run at default. You said your FSB is 166 fully clocked though right? Or maybe I'm getting completely mixed up with someone else. The best way to see is just change the FSB and then see what it comes up as when it POSTS.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.


    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

  7. #27
    Raw Wave justintime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,695
    My damn LCD switches resolutions (slowly) the very second the post screen shows up, so I can't ever get to see the reported speed etc. bleh!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by xBrady
    I don't know what yours will run at default. You said your FSB is 166 fully clocked though right? Or maybe I'm getting completely mixed up with someone else. The best way to see is just change the FSB and then see what it comes up as when it POSTS.
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90


    Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

  8. #28
    Super Moderator xBrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime
    My damn LCD switches resolutions (slowly) the very second the post screen shows up, so I can't ever get to see the reported speed etc. bleh!!!
    lol, that sucks. You might have to plug it in inside
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.


    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

  9. #29
    FLAC J187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime
    My damn LCD switches resolutions (slowly) the very second the post screen shows up, so I can't ever get to see the reported speed etc. bleh!!!
    Go into BIOS and disable quick POST.

    I too am confused about your stock mult. You were at 166FSB stock?


    I thought the stock clock of an XP 2400M was 166x11 or 1826.

    IF you wanna know what the CPU speed registers at, download Atomic CPU Benchmark from the web, or BenchONe III.
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

    Quote Originally Posted by ryuandwings View Post
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

  10. #30
    Raw Wave justintime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,695
    Quote Originally Posted by J187
    I am confused about your stock mult. You were at 166FSB stock?
    I thought the stock clock of an XP 2400M was 166x11 or 1826.
    I think we're both wrong. I was just quoting the article I read, from what appeared to be a reputable overclocking website. (lost link now, sorry)

    Based on more research, I would say stock Freq & Multiplier for this processor is 133x13.5. See this link
    (Look under AMD Athlon XP-M Models [Low Voltage, 35W TDP, Socket A] )
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90


    Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mobile Athalon XP
    By vcbb5 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 04:06 PM
  2. Opus 150 and Athlon XP?
    By philstuf in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 08:05 AM
  3. Amd Athlon XP to Mobile Athlon Conversion
    By Quattro in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 08:43 PM
  4. A7N8X-VM/400 & Athlon XP Mobile?
    By Coeus in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 06:39 AM
  5. Athlon xp + mb for $99
    By shak in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 03:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •