Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Gamma control by light sensor

  1. #21
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieg
    Been out, bought some bits. I forgot the diode though.

    I got a phototransister AND a photodiode.

    Would a photodiode do the job of the phototransister+diode?
    OK, I have RTFM'ed the web, and I see it would not be sensitive enough for light for a start.

    Maplin here I come.......... again.
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  2. #22
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    68
    My car has light sensors for the headlights located on the dash already, and when they come on, the illumination of the dash, AC, etc dims...

    I do not think anyone has mention this yet, but most vehicles have the "Illumination Wire" as part of the OEM radio harness... may be able to just read the voltage via comparator or similar on that in order to determine whether it is day or night... Most people use their headlights when it is dark and the LCD backlight should be lower when it is dark, so...

    Plus, you can turn your headlights on to make it dim if it is too bright during the day

  3. #23
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by guavo
    My car has light sensors for the headlights located on the dash already, and when they come on, the illumination of the dash, AC, etc dims...

    I do not think anyone has mention this yet, but most vehicles have the "Illumination Wire" as part of the OEM radio harness... may be able to just read the voltage via comparator or similar on that in order to determine whether it is day or night... Most people use their headlights when it is dark and the LCD backlight should be lower when it is dark, so...

    Plus, you can turn your headlights on to make it dim if it is too bright during the day
    I mentioned putting it in with a rleay so it goes dim when the headlights are on... It was pointed out many people drive with headlights on anyway for saefly (as do I depending on the conditions)

    For the 60p for the light sensor to be honest the light sensor seems the easiest way. At least I hope it is...
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  4. #24
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieg
    I mentioned putting it in with a rleay so it goes dim when the headlights are on... It was pointed out many people drive with headlights on anyway for saefly (as do I depending on the conditions)

    For the 60p for the light sensor to be honest the light sensor seems the easiest way. At least I hope it is...
    Ahh, ok... I do not use headlights during the daytime (Just have it set to auto), unless weather conditions are poor, but I'm out in Colorado and most of the roads are 2 lanes either way with a median and there are very few densely wooded areas...

    As far as the headlight turn-on sensors in my car go, there are two mounted on either side of the front dash under the windshield. The headlights seem to come on around 4 seconds after I pull into my garage (Sunlight to dark), however, if they are on in my garage, and I pull out in daytime (High light intensity) they instantly go off. Street lamps and other bright night time lights have no effect on the headlights being on or off (Always on at night)... In a tunnel, they go on, but at a stoplight under an overpass they do not.

    Then again with carputers, could always just pull sunrise/sunset data from a lookup table related to your GPS location,date and predefined time offset (For poor light conditions due to dusk/dawn) , and set backlight state based on that... without the need for sensors...

  5. #25
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    487
    guavo, I'm in denver... and any time there is snow or fog you absolutely need the brightest screen you can get... the lights will be on for safety and you will not be able to see the screen...

    why does it seem that I am the only one who likes the idea of a constantly adjusting system?? everyone seems to be fine with the idea of a high/low setup... even Centrafuse has a few gamma setting...

  6. #26
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by MC_Stoo
    Ooh I hope Frodo and Guino are reading this thread
    I'm reading this thread. Just waiting for someone to build me one of these on a USB cable and send it over

  7. #27
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by kronos
    I made a modified version to run a program in the ini instead of setting the gamma (and if you want I'll give you the source code which is very simple so that you can modify it to suit your needs if you please). About connecting the mod to turn on the lights I don't know... I always turn them on, even during the day, so that I can be better seen on the road by the others, in which case it would mean that my screen would be dim all the time.
    Hiya... I've built up the ciucit and was going to use the RunSensor app and relay to control my reverse camera... Is the offer still open for the source to look at as I would like to modify it with some code to open a video feed window... OR can you change the RunSensor app so it doesn't open another window if one of the same name is already open?

    The problem I am having is that on a relay (using notepad test app) it opens maybe 10 when the relay connects. If I hold the two wires of the circuit together however it only opens the one, weird?!!!?

    Steve
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  8. #28
    Newbie kronos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieg
    Hiya... I've built up the ciucit and was going to use the RunSensor app and relay to control my reverse camera... Is the offer still open for the source to look at as I would like to modify it with some code to open a video feed window... OR can you change the RunSensor app so it doesn't open another window if one of the same name is already open?

    The problem I am having is that on a relay (using notepad test app) it opens maybe 10 when the relay connects. If I hold the two wires of the circuit together however it only opens the one, weird?!!!?

    Steve
    Sorry about the delay, but i was out of town for the last couple of days. I e-mailed you the code. If you need further assistance let me know as I didn't test the app with a relay only with a sensor. The problem with a relay is that when it closes the contacts it's not a 'clean' contact; the contacts vibrate for a very short period of time (microseconds or so, but it may be enough to trigger multiple times).

    You might want to try a small capacitor put in parallel with the contacts, so that it will make a buffer of some sort.
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

  9. #29
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by kronos
    Sorry about the delay, but i was out of town for the last couple of days. I e-mailed you the code and just in case you have antispam protection my e-mail address is [removed] so look for that one. If you need further assistance let me know as I didn't test the app with a relay only with a sensor. The problem with a relay is that when it closes the contacts it's not a 'clean' contact; the contacts vibrate for a very short period of time (microseconds or so, but it may be enough to trigger multiple times).

    You might want to try a small capacitor put in parallel with the contacts, so that it will make a buffer of some sort.

    Thanks very much, got the email (sorry I have my email server set with all the xtras set... Got it with the EXE.

    I assumed as much with the 'vibrating' contacts. I've got a few capacitors hanging about so I will try one of them initially - if I can get away with modifying the software all the better.

    Thanks again
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. light sensor, etc -> game port inputs
    By Alex Pt in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 04:47 AM
  2. Gamma Control 3.0 Problem
    By brrman in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 01:18 AM
  3. Gamma control
    By Bravellir in forum RR Bug Tracker
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 01:38 PM
  4. Light sensor
    By 4u2n in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 04:32 PM
  5. Gamma control in FP?
    By cash_Money in forum FrodoPlayer
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •