Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Auto Shut off for Inverters!

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8

    Exclamation Auto Shut off for Inverters!

    Hey guys, I have looked everywhere in these forums for the answer but there isnt a clear cut one...

    I have gathered that I need a relay if I want my inverter powering my stereo and Usb hub to switch off when my car goes off.. I would hook it directly to my ACC but my inverter has 3x 30 amp fuses, and im fairly sure it would just blow a fuse somewhere if i tried...(400 watt inverter). I have no clue where or what kind of relay to get, and if I had it, i wouldnt know what to do with it. Thanks for your help guys!

  2. #2
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    why not use one of these: http://carpc.kyferez.com/

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8
    Well, I was hopeing not to spend $60 for something that does way more than I need. I already have a 90 W opus for my pc to startup and shut down. all I need it for is my stereo and usb hub., I would like to do it whatever way is best and easiest.. also, DANG, ive never seen a reply to a post less than a min after it was posted! lol..

    ALSO. Will an opus 90W and a 400W inverter kill my batery? I have a honda crx, and stock alt.. Thanks!

  4. #4
    MySQL Error Scouse Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    9,727
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjutsuassasin
    Hey guys, I have looked everywhere in these forums for the answer but there isnt a clear cut one...

    I have gathered that I need a relay if I want my inverter powering my stereo and Usb hub to switch off when my car goes off.. I would hook it directly to my ACC but my inverter has 3x 30 amp fuses, and im fairly sure it would just blow a fuse somewhere if i tried...(400 watt inverter). I have no clue where or what kind of relay to get, and if I had it, i wouldnt know what to do with it. Thanks for your help guys!
    I answered a thread just like this the other day. Use a relay to switch the inverter power (direct to battery accept for a fuse on the +ve near the battery and the relay).

    Then connect the coil for the realy up to the ACC line and whenever the ACC line is ont he inverter will be on.

    HOWEVER, as the opus will allow the PC to shutdown after the ACC line is off. what you really want is the inverter powered by the ACC line AND the Opus.

    SO:

    Connect the coil for the realy up to the ACC line and whenever the ACC line is ont he inverter will be on AND to the 12V output of your Opus PSU. BUT you need to isolate these supplies from each other using diodes or simply use 2 relays in parallel.

    This way, whenever the ACC line comes on the invterter and the Opus will power up immediately and when the ACC line goes off the Opus will trigger shutdown and when it finally does the inverter will shutdown too.

    YOu could possibly just power the relay off the opus so when the opus is on the inverter is on but you may get an issue with theinverter taking a while to stabilise. I would try it initially with the relay just triggered by the Opus and see if you get any problems. But make sure the inverter takes its power direct from the battery with a fuse and the relay inline.

    Quite simple really.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate TimmyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    713
    I'm confused, you have an inverter powering your stereo? What kind of stereo are you using that needs AC? And it also powers a USB hub? I didn't know they made such a thing.

    If what you are asking is what size of a relay to use for your inverter, I would go to any auto parts store and get a relay for driving/fog lights. Should be more then enough. I have a 150w/300peak inverter and I'm using a 12v relay I got from radio shack for something like $6.

    If I'm not mistaken, those 3 30amp fuses on the inverter are not for the inverter it's self but for what you have plugged into the inverter.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8
    Wow, thanks for the quick response guys, well, my stereo Is a logitech z560, and I am putting it in my car. lol. its for my computer tho... but i seem to have used all my money on a carpc, so i cant afford a real car system.. lol but to make things more confusing I have a Turbo Timer installed too ( so my car keeps itself on long enough for my turbo to spool down), it usualy keeps my car on around 1:00 min after I take the key out of the ignition.. So I guess everything will be powered up for little while longer because of the stupid turbo timer.. but dang... thanks for all the help, you guys rock!!.. and wouldnt I need a 400W+ relay because of the inverter (400W)? thanks!!!

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate TimmyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjutsuassasin
    Wow, thanks for the quick response guys, well, my stereo Is a logitech z560, and I am putting it in my car. lol. its for my computer tho... but i seem to have used all my money on a carpc, so i cant afford a real car system.. lol but to make things more confusing I have a Turbo Timer installed too ( so my car keeps itself on long enough for my turbo to spool down), it usualy keeps my car on around 1:00 min after I take the key out of the ignition.. So I guess everything will be powered up for little while longer because of the stupid turbo timer.. but dang... thanks for all the help, you guys rock!!.. and wouldnt I need a 400W+ relay because of the inverter (400W)? thanks!!!

    You're putting house computer speakers in your car? Good luck with that.

    Your 400W inverter is WATTS output, not AMPS input. Look on your inverter it should tell you what you need to power the inverter. Probably something like "input" or "draw".

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate jusatry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    862
    You're using computer speakers in your car?

    Sounds like you've got your priorities messed up.

    i wonder if there is a more efficient to do the power than an inverter (then you could sell the inverter too, since you are obviously hard up for cash). What voltage do your "speakers" take? There are plenty of PCB designs for a 12V to 5V regulator (for your USB hub)....


    Search.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8
    I dont have them with me so i cant look, Im on my laptop right now. but the more I think about it, its a terrible idea to put that system in my car.. lol.. there is so much wasted power from going to DC-> AC-> DC again.. I almost wish I could rip out the internal thing thats inside my sub/amp box to a DC powersupply But if it drains my batt all the time ill just have to break down and buy an Infinity perfect system for my car... you know, after I save the $1000 it will cost. lol

    concerning the usb hub, I would get the PCB, but im afraid I will break the hub.. Im crapy at soldering, and I dont have enough faith in my electronics skills to be doing that..

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate jusatry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjutsuassasin
    concerning the usb hub, I would get the PCB, but im afraid I will break the hub.. Im crapy at soldering, and I dont have enough faith in my electronics skills to be doing that..

    Im pretty sure rat-shack has adapters that can do 5V from cigarette lighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BIOS shut pc down when it gets too hot?
    By muldrick in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 08:26 PM
  2. OPUS 150 low battery shut down
    By archimense in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 03:28 PM
  3. Auto DJ function proposal... opinions?
    By kid320 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 10:07 AM
  4. OPUS 90W , I can not shut down my car-pc
    By scw5179d in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 04:25 AM
  5. where can i get one of auto shut down controller?
    By iPal in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 10:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •